Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough

Tom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We crucified them but the result is far from convincing. The first goal shouldn't have stood and Taylor's handball obviously should have resulted in a penalty. Refereeing was absolutely abysmal.

On a different day this would have been a 1-1 draw and the attitude of some on here would have been far different.

We need to turn the screw massively if we go up and want to stay up.

If we hadn't have been 2-0 up and cruising for the last half hour we'd have certainly been able to create more chances, they absolutely fell to bits.

I don't blame players for taking the foot off the gas as the match wore on, it was freezing out there and the last thing you want is someone sprinting for a nothing ball and pulling a hamstring.

Attendance - Outstanding, considering weather, xmas etc. Never in doubt tho :(

Match - Utter pile of shite. Standard was pathetic.

Referee - Clueless, but thanks anyway <_<

MoM - Enrique, the fuzzy Argie second (maybe he's found his 'comfort' level)

Trip home - :lol:

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United's stars admit they were blown away by the record crowd that packed a frost-bitten St.James' Park during Sunday's Tyne-Tees derby.

The black-and-white faithful defied overnight blizzards, sub-zero temperatures, the fact the game was being beamed out live on terrestrial TV and the fixture's proximity to Christmas to turn out in their droves in support of their table-topping heroes.

An attendance of 49, 644 smashed the previous Championship best set by North East rivals Sunderland, and, after the game, manager Chris Hughton led the tributes to the Geordie fans.

"It was incredible," he told nufcTV.

"We've got a group of lads here who really want to do well this season for this club and for the support we have.

"But to have that backing is outstanding and the players and staff very much appreciate it."

And loan defender Danny Simpson added: "I'd heard about how mad the fans were about the club before I joined but I never expected nearly 50,000 for a Championship game.

"It would have been easy to sit at home and watch it on TV so that amount of support is incredible.

"But nothing surprises me anymore having been here a few months now and it wouldn't surprise me if we get a full house before the end of the season."

And goal ace Shola Ameobi said: "It's remarkable and they never cease to amaze me.

"To get 50,000 on a wintery afternoon is outstanding and is testament to their support and love for the club - that backing just adds to the togetherness we have here."

Game is on ESPN360, for those of us in the states... 7am (CST) start.

5 o'clock in the fucking morning for me numb-nuts, (PST) <_<

Gone soft, tbh. :(

(360 lets you watch the games any time. They take them off eventually, but I think they stay up at least a week if you're not hardcore enough to wake up and watch NUFC play live)

Game is on ESPN360, for those of us in the states... 7am (CST) start.

5 o'clock in the fucking morning for me numb-nuts, (PST) <_<

Gone soft, tbh. :(

(360 lets you watch the games any time. They take them off eventually, but I think they stay up at least a week if you're not hardcore enough to wake up and watch NUFC play live)

It shouldn't have been a problem for Noelie, really, as these really auld fekkers need far less sleep than us young, fit, energetic, athletic folk.

I'm sure he said the bids were there but were pulled following due dilligence....and he made out this was a fault on behalf of the bidders. I thought when reading it that the more reasoned conclusion would be that the asking price Ashley placed on the package was unreasonable.

The way I read it from The Guardian was that they showed the funds were available in order to enter due diligence but once that had finished, they couldn't then produce the funds - sounds like the usual shite to me.

"We did receive several bids that met the £100m asking price but, despite giving all parties involved our full support in their attempts to push the sale through, only two of those parties completed the due diligence process and reached the sale purchase agreement stage.

"Once those documents were in place, the necessary funding required to complete the sale of the club never actually materialised. So while there were bids on the table, when it came to the crunch none of the bidders actually came up with the agreed funds."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/de...-derek-llambias

Given that proof of funds was a requirement of proceeding with due diligence, I think this revelation is interesting. Potential buyers (plural) were keen enough to to get the ball rolling, they had the money and on the surface seemed to think it was a deal worth pursuing, but given access to the books and following talks none of them saw the asking price as reasonable when push came to shove.

This suggests that £100m (plus whatever add-ons we've not been informed of) was unrealistic. Despite all the claims from the club of how much Mike Ashley had pumped in, how he stabalised the club finances, how he just wanted out and was going to cut his losses, he was still asking too much of several bidders that were keen to take the club on.

Rather than something to highlight in your program notes, I'd have thought putting potential buyers through the whole purchase process but refusing to budge...and then dropping the asking price to £80m a month later for a bloke that can't scrape it together...is not only going to infuriate fans but put off any buyers serious enough to go through whole process with you again in the future.

We all know Mike Ashley never had any intention of selling, and does not intend to, at least until he has recouped his outlay. Any suggestion otherwise is simply more "public relations".