American Stonehenge: Monumental Instructions for the Post-Apocalypse

ChezGiven

http://www.wired.com/print/science/discove.../ff_guidestones

The strangest monument in America looms over a barren knoll in northeastern Georgia. Five massive slabs of polished granite rise out of the earth in a star pattern. The rocks are each 16 feet tall, with four of them weighing more than 20 tons apiece. Together they support a 25,000-pound capstone. Approaching the edifice, it's hard not to think immediately of England's Stonehenge or possibly the ominous monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Built in 1980, these pale gray rocks are quietly awaiting the end of the world as we know it.

Called the Georgia Guidestones, the monument is a mystery—nobody knows exactly who commissioned it or why. The only clues to its origin are on a nearby plaque on the ground—which gives the dimensions and explains a series of intricate notches and holes that correspond to the movements of the sun and stars—and the "guides" themselves, directives carved into the rocks. These instructions appear in eight languages ranging from English to Swahili and reflect a peculiar New Age ideology

The article is massive so i've pulled out come good bits. New World Order, apocalypse, conspiracy, mystery and possibly the work of a 17th century German mystical sect.

He argues that Christian and his associates were Rosicrucians, followers of the Order of the Rosy Cross, a secret society of mystics that originated in late medieval Germany and claim understanding of esoteric truths about nature, the universe, and the spiritual realm that have been concealed from ordinary people. Weidner considers the name R. C. Christian an homage to the legendary 14th-century founder of the Rosicrucians, a man first identified as Frater C.R.C. and later as Christian Rosenkreuz. Secrecy, Weidner notes, has been a hallmark of the Rosicrucians, a group that announced itself to the world in the early 17th century with a pair of anonymous manifestos that created a huge stir across Europe, despite the fact that no one was ever able to identify a single member. While the guides on the Georgia stones fly in the face of orthodox Christian eschatology, they conform quite well to the tenets of Rosicrucianism, which stress reason and endorse a harmonic relationship with nature.

Of course, it gets quite scarey and fits in with the apocalyptic theories from Mayan culture hinted at in the film 2012 and the work of Graham Hancock.

Weidner also has a theory about the purpose of the Guidestones. An authority on the hermetic and alchemical traditions that spawned the Rosicrucians, he believes that for generations the group has been passing down knowledge of a solar cycle that climaxes every 13,000 years. During this culmination, outsize coronal mass ejections are supposed to devastate Earth. Meanwhile, the shadowy organization behind the Guidestones is now orchestrating a "planetary chaos," Weidner believes, that began with the recent collapse of the US financial system and will result eventually in major disruptions of oil and food supplies, mass riots, and ethnic wars worldwide, all leading up to the Big Event on December 21, 2012.

There's more chance that this prophecy is right than that Alex.

Anyway, its not the prophecy thats the really interesting bit. Its the mad story about the well-groomed mysterious stranger who commissioned the work. The granite from Georgia was chosen as its the most likely to survive the apocalypse. The way the Granite company employees talk about the bloke who put the stones up makes you think he must represent some sort of powerful group.

I'm more intrigued by the fact that this is really about the best evidence you can get for the existence of these shadowy groups (rather than their predictions being true).

If such a powerful group exists with half a million dollars to drop (in the 70s) on a pointless monument, this begs the question, who the fuck are they?

Guest Stevie
The clock will start to unravel next year.....Those in the north will march south. The initiate knows his place. The black eye will speak.

There'll still be asylum seekers and Poles heading to Dover you mark my words.

Anyway, its not the prophecy thats the really interesting bit. Its the mad story about the well-groomed mysterious stranger who commissioned the work. The granite from Georgia was chosen as its the most likely to survive the apocalypse. The way the Granite company employees talk about the bloke who put the stones up makes you think he must represent some sort of powerful group.

I'm more intrigued by the fact that this is really about the best evidence you can get for the existence of these shadowy groups (rather than their predictions being true).

If such a powerful group exists with half a million dollars to drop (in the 70s) on a pointless monument, this begs the question, who the fuck are they?

Druids? Knights Templar?

Fascinating read.

The watchers.

Druids? Knights Templar?

Fascinating read.

Aleister Crowley? Certainly got Masonic Christian influences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosy_Cross

You boys are clueless. Crowley was no more than a freakshow for London 'types'.

I expected more from you on this.

One or two of his things are said to have 'worked'. Not a Crowlyite, in the other camp, so disdain is all you'll get out of me on this subject as well as my musings on Blavatsky for whom I also have disdain...Althogh she was good at converting some of the Egyptian numbers and sysmbols for power.

One or two of his things are said to have 'worked'. Not a Crowlyite, in the other camp, so disdain is all you'll get out of me on this subject as well as my musings on Blavatsky for whom I also have disdain...Althogh she was good at converting some of the Egyptian numbers and sysmbols for power.

So it WAS you in that pub in Islington a couple of years back sitting with an old biddy who was gibbering on

"...and I tell you, my dear, that when they demolished his house they found a scroll, hidden in the chimney stack, which was in the language of the Ancients......"

So it WAS you in that pub in Islington a couple of years back sitting with an old biddy who was gibbering on

"...and I tell you, my dear, that when they demolished his house they found a scroll, hidden in the chimney stack, which was in the language of the Ancients......"

;)

I was merely asking questions, i didnt pretend to have any answers.