Flying - safer than ever?

Rob W

I'm a terrible flyer.

I litterally spend all my time in the airport pre flight shitting myself and spend take off with my head in my hands. Any turbulence and I'm thinking the worst. It think its a mix of claustraphobia and crashing (I dont think watching Air Crash Investigation helps)

I've never actually flown long haul and the idea terrifies me, but my old man lives in Sri Lanka and I wouldnt mind visiting at some point.

Has anyone ever cured there fear of flying?

Beer.

Heh I do actually find having a drink helps, though I have heard of people who have been hypnotised, or people who are given temazapan and these seem to work. I was thinking of exploring one of these.

Heh I do actually find having a drink helps, though I have heard of people who have been hypnotised, or people who are given temazapan and these seem to work. I was thinking of exploring one of these.

I don't have a fear of flying, but I can hear the change of the pitch of the engines. :)

I get valium, it helps a little but I'm always a little too cautious to take enough to really calm me down.

Taken beta blockers before (from a doc) and while they stop you getting jittery, sweaty and manic physically.....the terror is still there.

I would liken it to one of those people in a coma who looks a veg but is in fact wide awake and screaming internally.

I'd be concerned about being groggy if something did go wrong and they had to evacuate or whatever.

This, basically, is why I will not take *loads* of valium.

I got offered beta blockers when I first went to the doctors about it but didn't like the sound of them for the reasons CT mentioned above.

I'd be concerned about being groggy if something did go wrong and they had to evacuate or whatever.

This, basically, is why I will not take *loads* of valium.

I got offered beta blockers when I first went to the doctors about it but didn't like the sound of them for the reasons CT mentioned above.

They dont have oxygen masks so you can breathe better, its so you remain calm and chill out.

If i was about to experience a plane crash, i'd prefer to be calm than be in a panic. In fact i'd be hoping to experience that shit in slow motion. 20mg of Val Doonicans ftw.

The Ethiopian crash looks like it was avoidable - taking off into terrible weather - another 7337 crashed like this a couple of years back. They have a good record 'n aalll

What is the actual crash rate for commercial flights? My lass is shit scared of flying and I always say "how many planes crash compared to how many flights there are!?" I know there must be a shit load of flights around the world every year and a very tiny amount crash but what are the figures roughly?

There was a story on the radio the other week about how a woman had a morbid fear of flying and had conselling with a psychologist because of it. She was 5 weeks into a 6 week course when she received news he had been killed in a plane crash. She says she will never fly again. Don't blame her.

What is the actual crash rate for commercial flights? My lass is shit scared of flying and I always say "how many planes crash compared to how many flights there are!?" I know there must be a shit load of flights around the world every year and a very tiny amount crash but what are the figures roughly?

Flight gives the rate 2005-2009 average of 0.55 serious accidents per million departures

There was a story on the radio the other week about how a woman had a morbid fear of flying and had conselling with a psychologist because of it. She was 5 weeks into a 6 week course when she received news he had been killed in a plane crash. She says she will never fly again. Don't blame her.

sounds like an urban miff to me

Well, I based it on a 30 minute Radio 4 interview with the woman in question, I suppose she could have been lying and the BBC researchers duped. ;)

Well, I based it on a 30 minute Radio 4 interview with the woman in question, I suppose she could have been lying and the BBC researchers duped. :)

:):D:):icon_lol::) :)

I don't have a fear of flying, but I can hear the change of the pitch of the engines. :)

still flying propeller jobs Parky?