Bulger killer back inside

Craig

I do think sentences in this country are a joke like. Especially once they're reduced for 'good behaviour'. Good behaviour should result in serving the sentence you were given whereas getting into bother should see it extended. Wtf you're supposed to do with a couple of 10 year olds who kill a toddler is beyond me like.

Agree absolutely 100%.

Trouble is, they'll play the 'we can't afford to lock them up' line... Bullshit Bernard, lock the fuckers up properly rather than pandering to their wants/desires.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think sentences in this country are a joke like. Especially once they're reduced for 'good behaviour'. Good behaviour should result in serving the sentence you were given whereas getting into bother should see it extended. Wtf you're supposed to do with a couple of 10 year olds who kill a toddler is beyond me like.

Agree absolutely 100%.

Trouble is, they'll play the 'we can't afford to lock them up' line... Bullshit Bernard, lock the fuckers up properly rather than pandering to their wants/desires.

Actually Craig, I have some sympathy with that argument. Like many other things, the public whinge about the government not doing this that or the other, then they elect the government who they think'll give them more money in their pocket rather than one who'll stick a few pence on income tax and build more prisons, schools, hospitals or whatever.

I suppose locking up two kids their age for a long time for having done something like they did and so on will always test any system, no matter how good it is. It's such a rare event. You can't see either of them going through life without having 'problems'.

As far as I know it worked okay with Mary Bell.

I suppose locking up two kids their age for a long time for having done something like they did and so on will always test any system, no matter how good it is. It's such a rare event. You can't see either of them going through life without having 'problems'.

As far as I know it worked okay with Mary Bell.

Well it might have done but that doesn't alter the fact it's so rare you can't adequately plan for such an event. And every case will be different. I actually believe in rehabilitation though. I think as much as possible should be done in that regard. That's not because I'm particularly arsed about some of the scumbags behind bars but it's better for the rest of society when they eventually get out. Although the idea of someone like the Yorkshire Ripper ever being allowed out is a sick joke imo.

Agree absolutely 100%.

This govenment has built loads of prisons though, there was an article in the news about it the other day, and we lock up far more people than any equivalent European country. Imo there's things that are fundamentally more wrong with this country than a lack of prisons, we seem to follow the US version of society more so than some much better examples we should take note of.

Bulgers/Bell/Doncaster are all freak cases in any event. I couldn't believed the bare faced cheek of the tories to specifically blame Labour for the Doncaster incident, ffs.

Well it might have done but that doesn't alter the fact it's so rare you can't adequately plan for such an event. And every case will be different. I actually believe in rehabilitation though. I think as much as possible should be done in that regard. That's not because I'm particularly arsed about some of the scumbags behind bars but it's better for the rest of society when they eventually get out. Although the idea of someone like the Yorkshire Ripper ever being allowed out is a sick joke imo.

Public attitude can be a problem with rehabilitation though - I remember the outcry a few years ago when they came up with that scheme of sending joyriders abroad on "Jollies" but the results were excellent in terms of re-offending compared with the usual short, sharp shock. Much like your point about spending, people don't want to know that treating people like humans can bring better results for society than treating them like scum.

I'd add a proviso that I'd limit the "human" approach to first offenders.

Public attitude can be a problem with rehabilitation though - I remember the outcry a few years ago when they came up with that scheme of sending joyriders abroad on "Jollies" but the results were excellent in terms of re-offending compared with the usual short, sharp shock. Much like your point about spending, people don't want to know that treating people like humans can bring better results for society than treating them like scum.

I'd add a proviso that I'd limit the "human" approach to first offenders.

Aye, you're right there. I'd go along with your last point too.

Bulgers/Bell/Doncaster are all freak cases in any event. I couldn't believed the bare faced cheek of the tories to specifically blame Labour for the Doncaster incident, ffs.

I think the media completely let Cameron off with that and I think he should have been shot with shit for it. It marked a low I didn't even think a Tory was capable of.

So, is Armchair Penis going to be neutered??

Some folk want capital punishment brought back, and the folk that don't call them inhumane or words to that effect. The capital punishers call the non cp-ers lilly-livered do-gooders. Why should one side be right, and the other wrong? The indignation one side has for the other gets on my tits at times, both believing they're completely right and, therefore, the others must be wrong etc etc. It is allowed in this country for someone to hold an opposing view. Just because it may differ from yours, does not make you right by default.

im('umble)opinion, master Copperfield.

Some folk want capital punishment brought back, and the folk that don't call them inhumane or words to that effect. The capital punishers call the non cp-ers lilly-livered do-gooders. Why should one side be right, and the other wrong? The indignation one side has for the other gets on my tits at times, both believing they're completely right and, therefore, the others must be wrong etc etc. It is allowed in this country for someone to hold an opposing view. Just because it may differ from yours, does not make you right by default.

My comments on AP were tongue-in-cheek btw. Just so you know :icon_lol:

I don't mind people wanting capital punishment and enjoy arguing the case without indignation as you put it - however I stand by my comment that people who demand it for 10 year olds are twisted (though realised AP was joking).

I don't mind people wanting capital punishment and enjoy arguing the case without indignation as you put it - however I stand by my comment that people who demand it for 10 year olds are twisted (though realised AP was joking).

Armchair Phallus wasn't joking. He's a childsnatchingmordererrrrrrrr

The argument against capital punishment has already been won where it matters.

That's one of the ironies here. The people who get their knickers in a twist because of our 'soft' legal system tend to be the ones who are most vociferously patriotic and nationalistic. I'm not nationalistic or particularly patriotic BUT I have enormous respect for our system of law and order, believing it to be the best in the world, with some justification I think. The nationalistic types, in general, would like us to fundamentally change our legal system and bring in a new era of barbarism akin to Saudi. I take delight in their seething in the full knowledge they'll NEVER get their way (unless ironically the muslims really do take over). :icon_lol:

actually so was I.

I would just shoot them instead.

Evil pair of bastards.

That's one of the ironies here. The people who get their knickers in a twist because of our 'soft' legal system tend to be the ones who are most vociferously patriotic and nationalistic. I'm not nationalistic or particularly patriotic BUT I have enormous respect for our system of law and order, believing it to be the best in the world, with some justification I think. The nationalistic types, in general, would like us to fundamentally change our legal system and bring in a new era of barbarism akin to Saudi. I take delight in their seething in the full knowledge they'll NEVER get their way (unless ironically the muslims really do take over). :icon_lol:

When the muslims take over.

In all seriousness - as if that isn't serious - what I really believe in is handing out firm punishments and sticking to it. They should fit the crime. Life should mean life. And yes I DO advocate capital punishment for certain crimes [although not many].

Whatever it costs to build the prisons, and employ the staff etc etc, do it, pay it, and whack it on income tax if need be. Those rich tories who want to keep their income tax yet have a good law and order system can fuck off because if they want it then they pay for it.

See. I'm not a right winger.......

In all seriousness - as if that isn't serious - what I really believe in is handing out firm punishments and sticking to it. They should fit the crime. Life should mean life. And yes I DO advocate capital punishment for certain crimes [although not many].

Whatever it costs to build the prisons, and employ the staff etc etc, do it, pay it, and whack it on income tax if need be. Those rich tories who want to keep their income tax yet have a good law and order system can fuck off because if they want it then they pay for it.

I think this government has increased prison capacity by over 50%, it's getting close to 100,000 spaces, nearly all of which are utilized. That policy can only go so far. Like I said I think there are more fundamental problems - probably ultimately related with inequity in the spread of wealth - at the core of things. Bloody complicated subject though, and you'll be glad to know not one I'm particularly knowledgeable about or even that interested in currently.

Btw your comment on the cost of keeping Venables and Thompson in prison for 'life' suggests you weren't joking about capital punishment in their specific case.

Am I right in thinking this has been discussed before?

Aye, all it's missing is RobW telling us he's read Pierrepoint's book.

I think this government has increased prison capacity by over 50%, it's getting close to 100,000 spaces, nearly all of which are utilized. That policy can only go so far. Like I said I think there are more fundamental problems - probably ultimately related with inequity in the spread of wealth - at the core of things. Bloody complicated subject though, and you'll be glad to know not one I'm particularly knowledgeable about or even that interested in currently.

Btw your comment on the cost of keeping Venables and Thompson in prison for 'life' suggests you weren't joking about capital punishment in their specific case.

I would not disagree that the root cause of crime is difficult to diagnose and the policy can only go so far. Another point is that if the population increases, then that is going to also be a contributory factor.

I can see the point that executing those 2 could be regarded as inhumane by some, but what they did to Jamie Bulger was totally horrific beyond belief. All of us on here, we have all been 10 - could you commit such acts as they did, torturing a little defenceless bairn ? I probably wouldn't shoot them, no, but I couldn't think of an adequate punishment other than making sure they spent their lives in absolute misery, and well deserved too.

Should have put the little fuckas in a sack then a 45 gallon drum of water with a tight fitting lid.

thats more like it.

You know you can't do such things, but you SHOULD

I would not disagree that the root cause of crime is difficult to diagnose and the policy can only go so far. Another point is that if the population increases, then that is going to also be a contributory factor.

I can see the point that executing those 2 could be regarded as inhumane by some, but what they did to Jamie Bulger was totally horrific beyond belief. All of us on here, we have all been 10 - could you commit such acts as they did, torturing a little defenceless bairn ? I probably wouldn't shoot them, no, but I couldn't think of an adequate punishment other than making sure they spent their lives in absolute misery, and well deserved too.

Of course I can't imagine doing what they did, but then I didn't have their shitty backgrounds. I seriously can't remember what it's like to be 10 though, in actual fact I almost regard the child I was to be an entirely different person now. A child of 10 is not an adult, is he? Out of interest, what would be the lowest age you'd expect a child to have adult culpabilities - 9, 8, 7, 6?

Regardless, why would I want them to spend the rest of their lives in misery, what good does that do, for anyone? I can understand the argument for nor releasing them because of the risk of reoffending but making them suffer all their lives completely misses the primary purpose of the judicial system imo. It shouldn't be about revenge.

Of course I can't imagine doing what they did, but then I didn't have their shitty backgrounds. I seriously can't remember what it's like to be 10 though, in actual fact I almost regard the child I was to be an entirely different person now. A child of 10 is not an adult, is he? Out of interest, what would be the lowest age you'd expect a child to have adult culpabilities - 9, 8, 7, 6?

Regardless, why would I want them to spend the rest of their lives in misery, what good does that do, for anyone? I can understand the argument for nor releasing them because of the risk of reoffending but making them suffer all their lives completely misses the primary purpose of the judicial system imo. It shouldn't be about revenge.

See Renton, it is easy to say that it shouldn't be about revenge, but nobody can know what it feels like unless it happens to you. As it happens I would take my hat off to someone who didn't seek revenge, but if it happened to your child, personally I would want to shoot those responsible. The horror of what happened to their little boy will never leave his parents.

10 years old is not an adult, but I am quite sure that personally I was aware enough to know certain things, and humane enough never to have remotedly thought of doing anything like that to anybody, least of all a 2-3 year old. It's pure evil, isn't it ? What DO you do ? How do you think his parents feel that these 2 scumbags get out and their son has gone forever.

See Renton, it is easy to say that it shouldn't be about revenge, but nobody can know what it feels like unless it happens to you. As it happens I would take my hat off to someone who didn't seek revenge, but if it happened to your child, personally I would want to shoot those responsible. The horror of what happened to their little boy will never leave his parents.

10 years old is not an adult, but I am quite sure that personally I was aware enough to know certain things, and humane enough never to have remotedly thought of doing anything like that to anybody, least of all a 2-3 year old. It's pure evil, isn't it ? What DO you do ? How do you think his parents feel that these 2 scumbags get out and their son has gone forever.

I'd feel the same if it happened to my child I'd imagine but at the same time I don't think that makes it right.