fuck off

Guest CrimsonFault

Viana is a bit of a grey area as I think it's Robson's fault he turned out like he did and at the time we were praising him for stealing him away from Juve and Liverpool.

58433[/snapback]

So you're partly defending Robson suggesting that Viana wasn't necessarily a bad signing (in that he is/was a talented player I presume), yet you're saying its Robson's fault his signing turned out the way it did?

58437[/snapback]

Exactly. I don't want to start of another 'is he/isn't he left winger/defensive midfielder' argument but I think if he was given a chance in the middle he could've made it.

58570[/snapback]

I disagree, yes Robson got it wrong by playing him out of position but if you look at Viana's last two seasons he has exactly set the world alight with his return to the centre of the pitch and I think SBR saw from training that Hugo would be slaughtered playing in the centre hence he used him on the wing in a damage limitation move when playing him.

Well, when I saw the fixture list I said Souness will be gone after the ManUre game. And I still think Souness would have got sacked if it hadn't been for the negotiations which lead to the signing of Owen. Without Owen I think we would have 6-9 points less. Regardless of what Sheephearts plans are, when not having success then you are walking straight onto a point of no return. Losing against Blackburn for example would have been such a point.

Isegrim as much as we all agree with your logic it has been obvious, as chayton said, that Souness is here for the season and only if the team looks like being in a relegation battle would he be sacked. It's obvious the fat man's geordie dream is only a season away and Souness is the tool to clean out the dressing-room for Shearer's reign.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it was Robson's fault that Shepherd publically undermined him by telling the press that it would be his last season in charge and sacking him four games in when the league had barely got going? Wasn't it Shepherd that wanted to 'keep the powder dry' when we really need one or two more world class players to become serious title contenders and then blamed SBR for taking us backwards?

Robson may have said one or two daft things and made one or two dodgy decisions on the pitch (e.g. an out of form Jenas playing every minute of every game, no subs until 79 minutes etc.) but you've got to admit that his last few months at the club were painful to watch. He does love this club which is the reason he didn't walk away when he was being used as a door mat by Fat Fred.

58414[/snapback]

At the end of the 2003-4 season, he signed a new contract changing from a one-year rolling one, to a simple one-year contract. Did he not get the hint when he signed it, or had he well and truly lost it by then?

Viana is a bit of a grey area as I think it's Robson's fault he turned out like he did and at the time we were praising him for stealing him away from Juve and Liverpool.

58433[/snapback]

So you're partly defending Robson suggesting that Viana wasn't necessarily a bad signing (in that he is/was a talented player I presume), yet you're saying its Robson's fault his signing turned out the way it did?

58437[/snapback]

Exactly. I don't want to start of another 'is he/isn't he left winger/defensive midfielder' argument but I think if he was given a chance in the middle he could've made it.

58570[/snapback]

I disagree, yes Robson got it wrong by playing him out of position but if you look at Viana's last two seasons he has exactly set the world alight with his return to the centre of the pitch and I think SBR saw from training that Hugo would be slaughtered playing in the centre hence he used him on the wing in a damage limitation move when playing him.

Well, when I saw the fixture list I said Souness will be gone after the ManUre game. And I still think Souness would have got sacked if it hadn't been for the negotiations which lead to the signing of Owen. Without Owen I think we would have 6-9 points less. Regardless of what Sheephearts plans are, when not having success then you are walking straight onto a point of no return. Losing against Blackburn for example would have been such a point.

Isegrim as much as we all agree with your logic it has been obvious, as chayton said, that Souness is here for the season and only if the team looks like being in a relegation battle would he be sacked. It's obvious the fat man's geordie dream is only a season away and Souness is the tool to clean out the dressing-room for Shearer's reign.

58749[/snapback]

Without signing Owen we would be in a relegation battle. How long does Souness contract run?

The fact I'm trying to make is that (with the exception of the last comment which is quite obviously down to SLP's ineptitude to pick decent numbers), all of the points are something which is not new to any of us and were things we suffered under Robson, Gullit and, to some extent, Keegan.

Can anyone tell me if that makes sense or are you all with Isegrim?  :rolleyes:

58536[/snapback]

Again this strange comparison to the days under Keegan and Robson. It baffles me when someone after the last 13 months can say that there is hardly any difference between the days under Keegan and Robson and the era under Souness so far. If the premise is right and the problems are more or less the same, then why were those two not managing teams that were languishing in the bottom half of the table?

58575[/snapback]

totally agree, especially Keegan. Souness isn't fit to be mentioned in the same breath as him.

Without signing Owen we would be in a relegation battle. How long does Souness contract run?

58835[/snapback]

spot on again, which will be proved if he is injured, or whenever he is out

Re: Robson, with the exception of his last season and a bit, you got the feeling that the club was moving oin the right direction. With Souness, I and the majority of other fans have never been convinced this is the case. Even after the signings he's made I think a lot of people think: "A decent manager could do a lot with this squad" or "Will Owen stay?" or "When does Shearer take over". That's the problem, nobody feels like the current manager will get things right or stay long. It feels like an interregnum. I won't even begin to compare him to KK.

58835[/snapback]

spot on again, which will be proved if he is injured, or whenever he is out

58843[/snapback]

He's pinched your catchphrase tbh :rolleyes: