NUFC 3-0 Scunthorpe

Barney

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive tried to find this without success but the amount of people talking about the 12 point lead is endless. Even in the last two months the journal has run stories from Hughton and Beresford talking about the famous 12 point lead.

http://www.senseiguide.com/seasonFixtures....mp;phaseID=1995

Knock yourself out.

Tried copying it into excel but first of all the scores wouldnt all copy and secondly Ive had three Hobgoblins.

However as Craig is the perpetrator of the rogue? fact, it does fall on him to back up his statement. :icon_lol:

I'm working on it at the moment :D

Ofcourse it will have to be verified by an independent adjudicator Happy Face, so no cheating :lol:

Well having spent an hour putting it all together, I have to say I stand corrected... :rolleyes:

On 20th January 1996, we beat Bolton at SJP and with both us and Manchester United having 15 games left to play, we were 12 points clear of them. Only lasted 48 hours until Man United won away at West Ham but all the same, we did have that lead.

Apologies CT.

I've stuck all the results into a spreadsheet - anyone know a place I can upload it so people can have a look?

Ive tried to find this without success but the amount of people talking about the 12 point lead is endless. Even in the last two months the journal has run stories from Hughton and Beresford talking about the famous 12 point lead.

Knock yourself out.

Tried copying it into excel but first of all the scores wouldnt all copy and secondly Ive had three Hobgoblins.

However as Craig is the perpetrator of the rogue? fact, it does fall on him to back up his statement. :icon_lol:

Ofcourse it will have to be verified by an independent adjudicator Happy Face, so no cheating :lol:

Well having spent an hour putting it all together, I have to say I stand corrected... :icon_lol:

On 20th January 1996, we beat Bolton at SJP and with both us and Manchester United having 15 games left to play, we were 12 points clear of them. Only lasted 48 hours until Man United won away at West Ham but all the same, we did have that lead.

Apologies CT.

I've stuck all the results into a spreadsheet - anyone know a place I can upload it so people can have a look?

Fair play Craig lad. :rolleyes:

Knock yourself out.

Well having spent an hour putting it all together, I have to say I stand corrected... :icon_lol:

Apologies CT.

Well done and theres no shame in being wrong.

However a quick search tells me that you have at least five previous on this matter over the years and for that you should consider yourself very naughty.

You even hit Alex with that little stat and he took it.

Never mind, we live and learn. :rolleyes:

Now I just need to pop back a few pages........

Knock yourself out.

Well having spent an hour putting it all together, I have to say I stand corrected... :rolleyes:

Apologies CT.

google spreadsheet - make public - share url?

Well I presume you're talking about the media-fuelled '12 points clear of Man United' we were in early 1996. Only it was only ever 9 points with a game in hand.

:lol: life experience, not factually accurate statements backed up with evidence! :icon_lol:

Whenever your ready bonny lad :D

Knock yourself out.

However as Craig is the perpetrator of the rogue? fact, it does fall on him to back up his statement. :rolleyes:

I'm working on it at the moment :icon_lol:

Apologies CT.

However a quick search tells me that you have at least five previous on this matter over the years and for that you should consider yourself very naughty.

Never mind, we live and learn. :icon_lol:

Fucking hell man, I'd used someone else's work and believed it to be correct.. :D

Knock yourself out.

I'm working on it at the moment :icon_lol:

Apologies CT.

Never mind, we live and learn. :icon_lol:

Fucking hell man, I'd used someone else's work and believed it to be correct.. :D

I was only following orders.......Yeah Yeah Craig, we've heard it all before. :rolleyes:

I wish you'd dug that up a couple of hours back :D

Looking at that table though, the swing in Goal Difference over those last 15 games was massive. When we had the 12 point lead our GD was +26 to their +14. At the end of the season we were on +29 to their +38!!! :lol:

48 hours but you're claiming it anyway? fair dos.

Got to admit I always thought it was a 9 point lead and a game in hand that we chucked, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

on another note, just saw the goals on SSN and one thing I noticed was Carroll and Lovenkrands' shots looked very composed. The marks of a pair of strikers playing with the calm assurance that you can only find in confidence.

and the corner was a peach too, how we've missed that kind of delivery.

also just noticed we have Peter Andrew or Andy Peter up front...

Those who claim we threw it away do Man Utd a ridiculous disservice.

Indeed they do. In those last 15 games, they gained 40 points out of a possible 45. That's in comparison to the 24 points we amassed over the same amount of games.

Their run-in was something else.

Indeed they do. In those last 15 games, they gained 40 points out of a possible 45. That's in comparison to the 24 points we amassed over the same amount of games.

Aye but for a title challenger 24 from 45 is pretty fuckin shit tbh.

All we needed to do was keep up some steady form but instead our arses fell out and the wheels came off. We through it away. End of.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

All we needed to do was keep up some steady form but instead our arses fell out and the wheels came off. We through it away. End of.

When you consider that 12 months previous Blackburn had amassed 30 points from their last 45 and still won the title, it puts it in perspective. If Manchester United had only got 30 points from their last possible 45, we'd have been champions. Hell if they'd managed to get 35 (only dropping 10 points in that run in) we'd still have beaten them.

We threw nothing away - they won it in a very big way!

When you consider that 12 months previous Blackburn had amassed 30 points from their last 45 and still won the title, it puts it in perspective. If Manchester United had only got 30 points from their last possible 45, we'd have been champions. Hell if they'd managed to get 35 (only dropping 10 points in that run in) we'd still have beaten them.

I understand your point Craig but at the end of the day we were top with a substancial lead...we should of won it, we were in the better position so to let ManUre back into it was only our own fault.

Keegan lost his nerve and so did the players.

I think that's stretching it like. If we'd maintained our form a little, or at least played better than we did I don't think the title would have been theirs. I honestly believe if we'd not stumbled as notably, they wouldn't have had the spur from seeing us falter.

I think that's stretching it like. If we'd maintained our form a little, or at least played better than we did I don't think the title would have been theirs. I honestly believe if we'd not stumbled as notably, they wouldn't have had the spur from seeing us falter.

Exactly!

Back to point...

Just seen the goals...all three top quality finishes and top quality assists. Im struggling to pick a favourite but i have to say Carrolls header was very Shearer'esque.

Just read some of the after-match comments:

"It's nothing we didn't expect," the Scunthorpe manager said. "I've watched them a couple of times and they are a Premier League side in waiting, end of story. Our supporters will probably never ever see this as a league fixture again in their lifetime."

Fuck, that's a bit a defeatist attitude, ain't it?

How about some ambition!!

Well I presume you're talking about the media-fuelled '12 points clear of Man United' we were in early 1996. Only it was only ever 9 points with a game in hand.

:lol: life experience, not factually accurate statements backed up with evidence! :D

:icon_lol:

I'm afraid lady luck was carrying ManU in a big way as well. They had the best keeper bar none in the form of his life and Cantona scoring off his arse.

You make your own luck of course.

But I agree with Craig somewhat. while we could have done a little better, Ive often insisted it was Man Utd that won the league not us that lost it. Their form was immense.

And a loud chorus of "One Chris Hughton" rings round the ground.........Which is right and proper. :rolleyes:

Now we just need a chorus of "One Mike Ashley" and then we can all be friends and live in perfect harmony.....

What a contrary man you are. :icon_lol:

What a tool he is :D

A tool has a use :lol:

That was like shelling peas last night. The back four hardly needed to break sweat with Colo and Ricky in particular taking the piss. It was nice to see some good football and I loved seeing some classic wing play from Routledge. Jonas had a Weston though and on top of that the opposition were dreadful. Should've been 6 or 7-nowt. At least.

30 points still available

4 points needed to guarantee at least the play offs.

16 points needed to guarantee promotion

24 points needed to guarantee the title