Times website to start charging.

Park Life

Times and Sunday Times websites to start charging from June

Users to be charged £1 for a day's access and £2 for a week's subscription for access to both papers' websites

Times Online

Times Online: will relaunch in May and charge from June

The Times and the Sunday Times are to start charging for content online in June.

Users will be charged £1 for a day's access and £2 for a week's subscription for access to both papers' websites, publisher News International has announced.

The News International chief executive, Rebekah Brooks, implied in a statement that its other titles, the Sun and the News of the World, would follow.

The papers will relaunch their websites in early May and will be available for a free trial period to registered users. Readers can register from today at timesplus.co.uk.

It seems fair enough to charge for their content if they want to. Can't imagine many people subscribing but if they want to give it a shot.

I think it's fair enough to charge if you're not going to have any adverts (HBO stylee) i think it's a crock to have adverts plastered all over, as well as charging viewers (SKY Stylee).....it's even more of a kick in the teeth if there's no exclusive content. The BBC have all the same news anyway, it's not like the times website have any exclusivity on reporting the Premier League like they do for showing it.

I guess this will trigger the next step in the Murdoch war against the BBC. As long as their website is free to use globally, the income from charging people to use the Times website will be minimal, surely.

It seems fair enough to charge for their content if they want to. Can't imagine many people subscribing but if they want to give it a shot.

I think it's fair enough to charge if you're not going to have any adverts (HBO stylee) i think it's a crock to have adverts plastered all over, as well as charging viewers (SKY Stylee).....it's even more of a kick in the teeth if there's no exclusive content. The BBC have all the same news anyway, it's not like the times website have any exclusivity on reporting the Premier League like they do for showing it.

I guess this will trigger the next step in the Murdoch war against the BBC. As long as their website is free to use globally, the income from charging people to use the Times website will be minimal, surely.

Tbf if they want to charge for access and have adverts then that's their choice, adverts on websites are obviously different to those on TV in that normally they don't interrupt the content.

The Times do have certain web-specific content iirc, though generally I think it's stuff that just isn't good enough or important enough to get published in the paper. But as you say, who will really pay for it when websites like the BBC are around? I'm sure Murdoch wasn't too disappointed at the budgetary reduction for the BBC websites (though I'm not sure how much that'll affect BBC News).

Tbf if they want to charge for access and have adverts then that's their choice, adverts on websites are obviously different to those on TV in that normally they don't interrupt the content.

The Times do have certain web-specific content iirc, though generally I think it's stuff that just isn't good enough or important enough to get published in the paper. But as you say, who will really pay for it when websites like the BBC are around? I'm sure Murdoch wasn't too disappointed at the budgetary reduction for the BBC websites (though I'm not sure how much that'll affect BBC News).

Course they can do what they like, I just wonder if it'll be successful that way.

I love Salon, where you can subscribe to an ad free service or live with the pop up flash videos.

Spotify are taking over the world with an ad service that's free and subscription service without the ads.

I don't even know if subscribing to The times means there's no ads, it doesn't say. But if they're leaving ads up AND charging that defies the way most web services have gone.

I could at least imagine somebody somewhere paying to access the times website. I find it inconceivable The Sun intends to follow suit though.

I buy the paper every day - and so now Murdoch wants to charge me again..........

Good luck!

But watch for more attacks on the Beeb website by his creatures

• 2 months later...