Louis Theroux: America's Medicated Kids

Happy Face

Faced with the challenging behaviour of their kids, more and more parents in America are turning to psychoactive medication to help them cope, even though the drugs, and sometimes the diagnoses, remain controversial. Louis travels to one of America's leading children's psychiatric treatment centres, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to get to know the diagnosed children and hoping to understand what drives parents to put their kids on drugs.

Louis meets Hugh, a 10-year-old who has been diagnosed with ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, Asperger's syndrome and bipolar disorder. Moving in with Hugh and his family, Louis learns more about his controversial diagnosis and gets to know a family where even the dog is on meds.

He also meets Jack, aged six, a child who has been excluded from school for his explosive behaviour and who now takes antidepressant medication for his anxiety. And when 15-year-old Kaylee (diagnosed with ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder) takes a day off her medication, Louis gets a glimpse of what life is like without the drugs.

From 'med checks' to 'personal pharmacies', Louis explores the world of psychiatric medication for kids, attempting to find the line between ordinary bad behaviour and pathology, and answer the question of whether the latest pharmaceuticals are taking the place of old-fashioned parenting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s5...Medicated_Kids/

Reading the smacking thread i was reminded of watching this last night.

These kids are more abused than any child that got a smacked bum for being naughty.

One stupid cow has her entire family on mood altering drugs....including the dog. ;)

Edited by Happy Face

I saw it. It was an absolutely terrifying program.

What horrified me most were the doctors pushing the drugs (I guess for profit). Especially the doc who blatantly admitted that he looks at the parents of some kids and immediately concludes it's no surprise the kids are angry.....but he still gives them drugs to cope.

I saw it. It was an absolutely terrifying program.

What horrified me most were the doctors pushing the drugs (I guess for profit).

that was my immediate thought aswell. very scary indeed.

Did you see the kid that couldn't cope with losing. Thank fuck he's not a toon fan. Yanks man.

;)

Its character building. Support the Toon, be set up for a lifetime of failure. You'll enjoy failing though <_<

thats what happens with private healthcare. They're willing to pay so they're willing to prescribe. Its disgusting. Just another form of child abuse. People shouldn't have kids if they're not willing to look after them and put up with the mood swings and the naughtiness. Thats kidsw. Fuckin hell, god help them when they reach their teens, that is if they haven't permanantly drug adled their childs brains.

The dog was on some medication too wasn't it? It's fucking simple- throw a fucking tennis ball, get off your fucking arse and give it a walk. Then it'll be happy. ;)

A child cannot be simply stroppy without having some sort of 'condition' that expensive drugs can regulate, and sod the long term effects of halucinations, addiction or shitting your kidneys out.

I wonder how large a contribution the pharmaceutical firms push the way of clinics such as this one. It was pretty disturbing how many of the kids looked like a few hours of decent parenting could straighten them out.

when those yanks said that the kid taping his Wii remote and a few games was a suicide note, I nearly shat!

it wasn't a suicide note, it was a desperate cry for acceptance, it was a "Please mam and dad, I want your approval" note.

There may well be kids with serious issues, but none of the kids featured seemed to be troubled, they just seemed to be kids acting out because their parents don't properly connect with them.

any one get the impression that the blonde mam of Hugh resented her kids for putting a stop to her academic (and possibly professional) career?