City Of Culture

Kevin

Good news for Derry. No doubt the Orangemen will showcase one of their good natured marches as the centrepiece of the celebrations....it'd be like Mardi Gras in Rio

Worked over there years ago for a few days at a time, was a great place, troubles were ongoing but it was during one of the first ceasefire's, I asked some of the locals I was dealing with (from both sides of the line) if I'd be OK going out for a pint on my own, I was told aye it's no bother either side of the river BUT was told If I was in one certain pub on the proddy side (can't remember it's name) at last orders, they play the national anthem and "make sure you stand up" - bollox to that !!!!!

As an aside, stayed in the Everglades Hotel (incongruous name for a hotel in damp Derry) and it's probably the best hotel I've stayed in in my entire life, staff food, service, room all absolutely top notch, even accounting for the bullet hole (not all the way through mind) in the monstrously thick window.

Guest Gordon McKeag
Derry beat off competition from Birmingham, Sheffield and Norwich which were also shortlisted. :yahoo:

:jesuswept: Such bastions of culture, I mean what an achievement beating a city like Birmingham famous for it's Bullring Shopping Centre (which has no bulls), Britain's biggest civilian nuclear bunker and ermm the www.birminghamitsnotshit.co.uk website (this is a real website, no really it is).

as I've mentioned elsewhere, being awarded Capital of Culture is like winning gold at the Paralympics.

Bear in mind that they've only won the UK Capital of Culture - not the European one that Newcastle/Gateshead came a close second in...

Guest Gordon McKeag
Good stuff. Mind you the competition wasn't up to much. What's Norwich famous for, mustard?

That old fucka who kills the turkeys, "bootiful" Brian Matthews or something, and they sold us Ruel Fox, so there's three things.

Good stuff. Mind you the competition wasn't up to much. What's Norwich famous for, mustard?

That old fucka who kills the turkeys, "bootiful" Brian Matthews or something, and they sold us Ruel Fox, so there's three things.

delia-smith.jpg

Guest Gordon McKeag

delia-smith.jpg

Ah yes how could I forget a drunken pensionable age dinner lady. Well done Derry, you've really beat off some fierce competition.

Derry beat off competition from Birmingham, Sheffield and Norwich which were also shortlisted. :yahoo:

:yahoo: Such bastions of culture, I mean what an achievement beating a city like Birmingham famous for it's Bullring Shopping Centre (which has no bulls), Britain's biggest civilian nuclear bunker and ermm the www.birminghamitsnotshit.co.uk website (this is a real website, no really it is).

Aye, it's called sarcasm and self-awareness. :jesuswept: It's true mind, the competition wasn't exactly mind-bending. They actually have adverts on the Tube for visiting Birmingham with the tagline "Shortlisted for UK City of Culture" as if that doesn't sound incredibly desperate.

Guest Gordon McKeag

:yahoo: Such bastions of culture, I mean what an achievement beating a city like Birmingham famous for it's Bullring Shopping Centre (which has no bulls), Britain's biggest civilian nuclear bunker and ermm the www.birminghamitsnotshit.co.uk website (this is a real website, no really it is).

Aye, it's called sarcasm and self-awareness. :jesuswept: It's true mind, the competition wasn't exactly mind-bending. They actually have adverts on the Tube for visiting Birmingham with the tagline "Shortlisted for UK City of Culture" as if that doesn't sound incredibly desperate.

"Visit Birmingham - We've just opened a new Lidl's" would be no less appealing.

Good news for Derry. No doubt the Orangemen will showcase one of their good natured marches as the centrepiece of the celebrations....it'd be like Mardi Gras in Rio

:jesuswept:

Fish is right like, this is how bad it is

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/

main page, pics for Derry eh?

why is Gabriel Byrne and Brendan Gleeson featured? their both from Dublin :yahoo:, and the only other recognisable person is that wee twat no one liked from xfactor or whatever

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/Our-2013-...Our-Champs.aspx

only about two of those people are from Derry and i doubt most people would think the girl from the commitments (Bronagh Gallagher) was one of them

I noticed 5 things on that homepage from derry :yahoo:

Worked over there years ago for a few days at a time, was a great place, troubles were ongoing but it was during one of the first ceasefire's, I asked some of the locals I was dealing with (from both sides of the line) if I'd be OK going out for a pint on my own, I was told aye it's no bother either side of the river BUT was told If I was in one certain pub on the proddy side (can't remember it's name) at last orders, they play the national anthem and "make sure you stand up" - bollox to that !!!!!

As an aside, stayed in the Everglades Hotel (incongruous name for a hotel in damp Derry) and it's probably the best hotel I've stayed in in my entire life, staff food, service, room all absolutely top notch, even accounting for the bullet hole (not all the way through mind) in the monstrously thick window.

They're in for a shock when they come here looking for culture but :yahoo: Full of drugs, underage drinkers, riots, scum and so on :yahoo:

I had to do a 30 page report on the Everglades hotel. Looked good enough :yahoo:

as I've mentioned elsewhere, being awarded Capital of Culture is like winning gold at the Paralympics.

Bear in mind that they've only won the UK Capital of Culture - not the European one that Newcastle/Gateshead came a close second in...

Oh that's amazing Craig :yahoo: You all must feel so proud coming second :yahoo:

:jesuswept:

Fish is right like, this is how bad it is

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/

main page, pics for Derry eh?

why is Gabriel Byrne and Brendan Gleeson featured? their both from Dublin :yahoo:, and the only other recognisable person is that wee twat no one liked from xfactor or whatever

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/Our-2013-...Our-Champs.aspx

only about two of those people are from Derry and i doubt most people would think the girl from the commitments (Bronagh Gallagher) was one of them

I noticed 5 things on that homepage from derry :yahoo:

They're in for a shock when they come here looking for culture but :yahoo: Full of drugs, underage drinkers, riots, scum and so on :yahoo:

I had to do a 30 page report on the Everglades hotel. Looked good enough :yahoo:

Oh that's amazing Craig :yahoo: You all must feel so proud coming second :yahoo:

Not in the least bothered tbh. As has been discussed elsewhere on here, the title 'Capital of Culture' is more and indication of the areas that need fund throwing at it rather than anything to be proud of.

aye i think this is going to bring £100's of millions to the city. Also alot of jobs. If we're hosting the brit awards then that means we'll need a new facility, I can't think of anywhere right now (other than the millenium forum) that'll be able to host it.