Soham killer Huntley to sue over throat slash attack

Craig

And how much taxpayers money is going to fund this little case? :D

Soham murderer Ian Huntley is to sue the Prison Service after he was attacked by an inmate.

The Grimsby-born former school caretaker's throat was slashed in March at Frankland Prison in County Durham.

Huntley, 36, who murdered 10-year-olds Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman in 2002, will claim the service has failed in its duty of care towards him.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman said the compensation claim would be "vigorously defended".

Earlier this year the then Justice Secretary Jack Straw said the government had "absolutely no intention" of paying compensation to Huntley over the attack.

At Commons question time it emerged he could be awarded up to £20,000 if a claim for negligence is successful.

In September 2005 Huntley was scalded with boiling water at Wakefield Prison.

He had been in the health care wing of the West Yorkshire jail at the time of the attack.

In 2008 Huntley was moved to HMP Frankland, a Category A high security men's prison.

While at Frankland he was attacked and slashed across the throat by a prisoner who was said to have been armed with a razor blade.

It is believed that Huntley has tried to commit suicide three times since his conviction in December 2003.

A Ministry of Justice spokesman confirmed the legal action by Huntley who is understood to be claiming £20,000 for injuries suffered and a sum - put at £60,000 in one report - for failure to uphold the duty of care.

"Ian Huntley is bringing a claim against the Ministry of Justice following an assault by another prisoner," the spokesman said.

Juliet Lyon, of the Prison Reform Trust, said it was a difficult issue for the government to handle, as Huntley had committed such a heinous crime, but there was a principle that prisons needed to be safe places.

She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The issue of safety and security is absolutely a bedrock one.

"It's a difficult place now for the Ministry of Justice because they have to hold that line. If a court sentences someone to custody they're not sentencing them to be attacked.

"We have to expect that our prison service is going to be a safe, secure place. What happens thereafter if that breaks down, if the staff aren't able to hold that line, it's then up to the individual to pursue any means that they're able to."

Huntley was a caretaker in the Cambridgeshire village of Soham when he enticed Holly and Jessica into his home.

The girls were killed and their remains hidden.

He was convicted with his then girlfriend Maxine Carr who had worked as a teaching assistant at the school.

She was found guilty of perverting the course of justice but has since been released and given a new identity.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10825238

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no argument here surely? He admitted he killed them, he admitted he dumped their bodies and burned them and then he tried to pretend to the media, the police and worse of all, directly to their parents that had genuine concern for their well-being.

Blind eye should be turned and let someone finish him off IMHO.

There's no argument here surely? He admitted he killed them, he admitted he dumped their bodies and burned them and then he tried to pretend to the media, the police and worse of all, directly to their parents that had genuine concern for their well-being.

Blind eye should be turned and let someone finish him off IMHO.

abso-lootley

and you wonder why politicians don't trust their people when you guys want to bring the death penalty back!

it's beyond reason that anyone in this day and age, having seen the barbarism and destruction that an 'eye for an eye' mentality has bought to the last 8000 years of human history, would be pro-death penalty. what the fuck is wrong with you guys?

While I agree to an extent and have problems with the death penalty he deserves death imo.

This.

In normal cases I'm vehemently against it but in his case I have absolutely no sympathy for him. He's tried to take his own life 3 times - why are we spending money preventing him from succeeding?

While I agree to an extent and have problems with the death penalty he deserves death imo.

This.

In normal cases I'm vehemently against it but in his case I have absolutely no sympathy for him. He's tried to take his own life 3 times - why are we spending money preventing him from succeeding?

I'm only for it in certain situations/cases, but this is def one of them.

According to the news it's supposedly unlikely he'll be given any compensation. Agree with Craig though about it being a waste of money though (i.e. the legal action).

What would he do with the money, spend it in the prison tuck shop?

Fuck the death penalty. Give him a mirror and a knife and leave him alone for half an hour.

This.

because i hope in this day and age, and i know it sounds absolutely ridiculous, people still value human life over money

and whilst one may argue that he doesn't value his life hence he should die, i think it's regressive to think that people don't have a capability for change, even in such an extreme situation

Edited by SloopJohn

Death's the easy way out for him to be honest. The fact that he's tried to kill himself means he should be kept alive and miserable for as long as possible. And snuggled in the bosom of his fellow inmates.

This.

because i hope in this day and age, and i know it sounds absolutely ridiculous, people still value human life over money

and whilst one may argue that he doesn't value his life hence he should die, i think it's regressive to think that people don't have a capability for change, even in such an extreme situation

Whilst I sympathise with your viewpoint the reality is he'll never be released. So whether he can change or not is irrelevant to society really.

Are the parents of his victims allowed to sue him for molesting and murdering their daughters? Thought not.

exactly. What a fucking justice system.

and you wonder why politicians don't trust their people when you guys want to bring the death penalty back!

it's beyond reason that anyone in this day and age, having seen the barbarism and destruction that an 'eye for an eye' mentality has bought to the last 8000 years of human history, would be pro-death penalty. what the fuck is wrong with you guys?

Lol, fuck me. :D

Death's the easy way out for him to be honest. The fact that he's tried to kill himself means he should be kept alive and miserable for as long as possible. And snuggled in the bosom of his fellow inmates.

Dig a fuck-off big pit and chuck the likes of him, Roy Whiting, Peter Sutcliffe, Ian Brady, Rose West, etc into it and leave a few hungry tethered wild animals at the top. Let nature sort it out :D

Dig a fuck-off big pit and chuck the likes of him, Roy Whiting, Peter Sutcliffe, Ian Brady, Rose West, etc into it and leave a few hungry tethered wild animals at the top. Let nature sort it out :D

couldn't agree more. And gas foreigners who protest anti British hatred on the streets of Britain who's allegiance lies elsewhere

And as for valuing human life over money, I do.. I valued the lives of those two girls who he senselessly murdered much higher than the cost of having to keep him in prison. He's sub-human scum and if you think for one minute he has 'capability for change' you're off your head.

He didn't even have the decency to be straight in court about what he did. The parents of those kids had to read it via the press from Huntley's own parents who had managed to prise it out of him well after the case.

Exactly, that's certainly a creative way of dealing with it. I really despise lefty fuckwits who spout their holier than thou bullshit, I mean just how would they feel towards such people if for example one of these murderers had raped and tortured one of their family members prior to slowly killing them? Who gives a flying fuck if a murderer can change? They deserve to die for their crimes, simple as that.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

couldn't agree more. And gas foreigners who protest anti British hatred on the streets of Britain who's allegiance lies elsewhere

I didn't realise you had an Uncle Adolf. You need to have a word with yourself at times LM.

I didn't realise you had an Uncle Adolf. You need to have a word with yourself at times LM.

Figure of speech.

But what would you with them then ?

Figure of speech.

Certainly not gas them for having a view I don't agree with.

Figure of speech.

Certainly not gas them for having a view I don't agree with.

What I mean is disperse them, by tear gas, water hoses or whatever, and sort them out later in terms of the bigger immigration picture.

If they are anti-Britain and support the killing of our troops there is no place for them. If that is their "point of view" then put a uniform on and fight them in the open like men and stop bleating about it.

I don't really think ''an eye for an eye'' is ever applicable in such a case as Huntley's. Even with the death penalty you couldn't be as evil and sickening as he was so the ''Holier than thou'' approach is worthless to most people.

If he was ''rehabilitated'' it doesn't really excuse what he did - for some people I do believe they can get better and that some things can be blamed on mental illness but you have to draw the line somewhere.