Exam Results go up to 11

Happy Face

One in 12 A-level exams (8%) has been awarded the new A* grade as pupils scored another record-breaking year of results.

Some 27% of entries gained an A or A* amid a record battle for university places, results show.

The pass rate rose for the 28th year in a row, with 97.6% of entries gaining an E or above, up from 97.5% in 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11012369

"Why don't you just make an A as strong as an A* and just have A be the top grade?"

"A* is one louder!"

One in 12 A-level exams (8%) has been awarded the new A* grade as pupils scored another record-breaking year of results.

Some 27% of entries gained an A or A* amid a record battle for university places, results show.

The pass rate rose for the 28th year in a row, with 97.6% of entries gaining an E or above, up from 97.5% in 2009.

"Why don't you just make an A as strong as an A* and just have A be the top grade?"

"A* is one louder!"

No point in repeating debates of years gone by but this grade inflation doesn't do anyone any good.

Going to be a horrendous year for students of all ages this year (and for the forseeable).

"A* is one louder!"

No point in repeating debates of years gone by but this grade inflation doesn't do anyone any good.

Going to be a horrendous year for students of all ages this year (and for the forseeable).

Until the late 80's the amount of students getting A's was consistently 8%.

8% now get A* so nothing's inflated in reality....unless you're as daft as Nigel Tufnel.

"A* is one louder!"

8% now get A* so nothing's inflated in reality....unless you're as daft as Nigel Tufnel.

Am I missing something here?

An A* is now an A, a B is now an A, etc. At Uni a 1st is really what a 2:1 once was (with nothing to higher to differentiate truely outstanding candidates).

Is that not grade inflation?

I have to say though...regardless of what marks I got in school or college, I have never had to tell anyone what I got nor has anyone ever asked! I remember my first job interview, fresh out of school when I took my fake red leather record of achievement along with me. I got a funny look for having it in my hand, it was never looked at and I never took it out again. Education? What a load of old shite!

"A* is one louder!"

An A* is now an A, a B is now an A, etc. At Uni a 1st is really what a 2:1 once was (with nothing to higher to differentiate truely outstanding candidates).

I'm saying it doesn't fool anyone.

Whether it's an A, an A* or a pjfdy.

It's just whatever they're currently calling the top grade innit......and 8% got the top grade for decades.

_48792127_a_level_grades_304.gif

It had gotten out of hand since they got rid of the bell curve, up to a quarter of students getting the top grade. So now they've reverted it back to 8%....Dunno why they don't just reintroduce the bell like.

I have to say though...regardless of what marks I got in school or college, I have never had to tell anyone what I got nor has anyone ever asked! I remember my first job interview, fresh out of school when I took my fake red leather record of achievement along with me. I got a funny look for having it in my hand, it was never looked at and I never took it out again. Education? What a load of old shite!

Qualifications are largely redundant after you get your first proper job it seems.

;)

I always have a chuckle when i see people carrying those about.

"A* is one louder!"

I'm saying it doesn't fool anyone.

Whether it's an A, an A* or a pjfdy.

It's just whatever they're currently calling the top grade innit......and 8% got the top grade for decades.

_48792127_a_level_grades_304.gif

It had gotten out of hand since they got rid of the bell curve, up to a quarter of students getting the top grade. So now they've reverted it back to 8%....Dunno why they don't just reintroduce the bell like.

Exactly, you should be measured against your peers, I don't know why this isn't rigidly introduced.

I was having a clear out and found mine about a week ago as it happens. Fake red leather as well.

Aye, mine too. Like a shit 'This is your Life'.

Should start a "scan and post your personal statement" thread!

;)

That would be class like. I'll hunt mine out this weekend if it happens.

I was having a clear out and found mine about a week ago as it happens. Fake red leather as well.

Aye, mine too. Like a shit 'This is your Life'.

Should start a "scan and post your personal statement" thread!

;)

That would be class like. I'll hunt mine out this weekend if it happens.

:o

Great call that. Jesus wept @ the thought of mine.

Way to make Kevin feel inadequate.

That happens everyday when he gets out of the shower and looks down anyway - it's all relative.

That's a fairly oblique way to talk about the top of his dad's head.

:)

I always have a chuckle when i see people carrying those about.

My mam made me take mine to the job interview for my current role (this was nearly 7 years ago btw). I knew it was a stupid idea and as luck would have it I bumped into my mate on the way and asked her to take it home for me and I picked it up after. Would've felt like a right fucking pleb handing that over. I think it had gymnastics certificates from when I was about 12 in it at the back. ;)

Way to make Kevin feel inadequate.

That happens everyday when he gets out of the shower and looks down anyway - it's all relative.

That's a fairly oblique way to talk about the top of his dad's head.

Trust meenzer to bring up head. :)