Flights to Sydney

Kid Dynamite

The Mrs and I are planning on having our honeymoon 6 months after our wedding (Gives us time to save, NHS hols etc.) but had fancied a week away somewhere the week following our wedding in October. Now the opportunity has arisen for us to go and see my sis and her fella in Sydney for a week, all we have to provide is the flights.

There seems to be a huge variation in prices. Anyone been before and got any tips for the cheapest?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a fucking hell of a long way to go for a week, KD. If you could stretch it to two weeks or even ten days somehow I would if I were you.

Maybe 10 days at a push. I did 12 hours on a plane to Vegas for a long weekend so we'll manage :cuppa:

Thing is, you're talking about a canny bit longer flight and you have to factor in the jetlag which is normally worse when you travel west to east (which you'll be doing on the way there) so you'll probably get the worst of it during your stay there. I'm honestly not trying to put a dampener on it, I just think you might regret it if you only go for 7 nights. Anyway, I suppose it's an excuse to go again if your stay's too short this time ;)

Ended up going for Emirates flights from Newcastle for 10 days, via Dubai. Cost a bit more than I wanted to pay but it was worth it to avoid having to get to Heathrow and do an overnight stop in Seoul

Worth it for that length of stay I should think. When we went we had a Heathrow connection and ended up spending about 5 hours there. We were thinking to ourselves we could've been half-way there (to Singapore anyway) by the time we took off.

Sydney's shit my friend, I'd advise Melbourne if you actually want to go somewhere good.

Sydney's not shit but Melbourne is better :)

As someone who lives in Sydney and use to love going to Melbourne as much as possible, I have to say Melbourne's nowhere as good as it use to be and Sydney's shite unless you ask someone about it.

Sydney's shit my friend, I'd advise Melbourne if you actually want to go somewhere good.

Sydney's not shit but Melbourne is better :)

As someone who lives in Sydney and use to love going to Melbourne as much as possible, I have to say Melbourne's nowhere as good as it use to be and Sydney's shite unless you ask someone about it.

I was there 7 years ago so I can't comment too much but I loved it.

Maybe 10 days at a push. I did 12 hours on a plane to Vegas for a long weekend so we'll manage :)

Thing is, you're talking about a canny bit longer flight and you have to factor in the jetlag which is normally worse when you travel west to east (which you'll be doing on the way there) so you'll probably get the worst of it during your stay there. I'm honestly not trying to put a dampener on it, I just think you might regret it if you only go for 7 nights. Anyway, I suppose it's an excuse to go again if your stay's too short this time :)

the boy is correct - after 24 hours in slave class and 11 time zones you're brain is mush - and that's both ways

The logical way is Qantas or Singapore via Singapore or Thai via Bangkok - don't go via Hong Kong or Korea

The Emirate flight you're on means you leave Tyneside on (say) Monday at 13:00 arrive Dubai around midnight, leave there at 02:00 and arrive in Sydney at 22:00 Tuesday - you'll at least pass out for the night - God knows what state you'll be in but don't plan owt for the next 24 hours - you won't remember it anyway

Don't take any food products into OZ - they get very very shirty - chocolate is OK if you declare it

The electronic visa system on thw web is quite good - but don't forget to do it!

Edited by Rob W

Dubai international is fucking horrible btw.

Never seen the attraction of the place full stop. PL footballers seem to love it - say no more.

Edited by alex

Never seen the attraction of the place full stop. PL footballers seem to love it - say no more.

It's better than Abu Dhabi, just, but going via the middle east tends to mean less time wasted between joining flights in my experience.

It's better than Abu Dhabi, just, but going via the middle east tends to mean less time wasted between joining flights in my experience.

Oh aye, that's fair enough, I meant actually going on holiday there. Looks dreadful to me like. Grooverider loved it though apparently :)

Edited by alex

Oh aye, that's fair enough, I meant actually going on holiday there. Looks dreadful to me like. Grooverider loved it though apparently :)

What happened to him eventually? Prison?