Best Fans in the UK

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Controversial one this, but I think taking Newcastle out of the equation I think Man Utd have the best fans in football. Their away support is arguably the best in the world in my opinion, they come out with new funny songs every year, and the ridiculous myth that none of them come from Manchester is ridiculous. They have the biggest local fanbase in the UK in my view too. At least 60,000 mancs at home games imo. Most of the new songs we come up with are rip offs of what they produce, they're also passionate, and it is easy supporting a succesful club like them but you watch when they come to SJP not a cockney accent in ear shot nearly all mancs their away support and they're the only ones who touch in loyalty historically. 48,000 average gate in Division Two in 1974, no league title for 26 years and they were still the best supported team in the country.

Who impresses you?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will no doubt go down like a lump of shit on here but I'm going to have to say Citeh. And West Brom.

Can't bring myself to acknowledge Man U. It's a massive fanbase but it really is the easiest job in world football following that team. And fwiw, whatever songs we rip off them, their version of Blaydon Races ('Matt Busby's Aces') is just beyond embarrasing. I honestly dont know how they sing that with a straight face.

Man U's away support is excellent but I agree with the "it's easy to follow them" view - of course the usual allocation is probably taken by a pretty constant set of people which makes it easy - then compare that with how shit their support is when its swelled for Semis/Finals.

We're right up there in terms of numbers. We've probably taken the biggest numbers to european aways in recent years. 10,000 to Villareal, 8,000 to Nuremburg, 5,000 to Alkmaar for a dead rubber game. We've also got arguably to the most intimidating home atmosphere in the league.

We're right up there in terms of numbers. We've probably taken the biggest numbers to european aways in recent years. 10,000 to Villareal, 8,000 to Nuremburg, 5,000 to Alkmaar for a dead rubber game. We've also got arguably to the most intimidating home atmosphere in the league.

i reckon there's a few that would argue that point with you

Man U's away support is excellent but I agree with the "it's easy to follow them" view - of course the usual allocation is probably taken by a pretty constant set of people which makes it easy - then compare that with how shit their support is when its swelled for Semis/Finals.

The 'didn't win the championship' for 26 years line is also a bit galling too tbh. Firstly it has them down as some sort of divine righters for the league, and secondly it gets wrongly interpreted as though they didnt win anything for 26 years. When you averaged it out, they picked up a trophy every four years or so in those intervening years (European Cups, FA Cups, League Cups, Cup Winners Cups) so it was never really any hardship following them at all. When they went down they came straight back up. Theres at least three generations of Man U fan now that have only ever known regular trophy success so you have to factor that in whichever way you look at it. That and the obvious media arse licking thats gone on for the last 50 years and you have to say generally speaking it's a pretty easy ride.

Edited by manc-mag

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Norwich took 8,000 to an European away, as did Ipswich, it's no great shakes taking big numbers to your first significant European away in over a decade (which is what Villarreal was for you), we had 12,000 in Antwerp iirc in 94, when we hadn't been in iirc. You didn't have 5,000 in Alkmaar you had 1,800 that's all they give away teams. When Everton bring more than 1,500 here, I will rate them, they're no where near the top 10 supports in the UK imo, there's sides outside the Prem with better supporters imo.

The atmosphere at Goodison is largely shit, I've felt more intimidated at Blackburn.

Fuckin Everton ;) No sense of reality. Ask anyone not from Merseyside how they rate your support.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Agree with that, their support in Cardiff was shocking when we played them, but their hardcore was supposedly boycotting cos of the fact it was there, and they had a point. Should've been at Elland Road.

Norwich took 8,000 to an European away, as did Ipswich, it's no great shakes taking big numbers to your first significant European away in over a decade (which is what Villarreal was for you), we had 12,000 in Antwerp iirc in 94, when we hadn't been in iirc. You didn't have 5,000 in Alkmaar you had 1,800 that's all they give away teams. When Everton bring more than 1,500 here, I will rate them, they're no where near the top 10 supports in the UK imo, there's sides outside the Prem with better supporters imo.

The atmosphere at Goodison is largely shit, I've felt more intimidated at Blackburn.

;)

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Stevie, your Man U obsession is becoming quite worrying.

;)

It is starting to get a bit romanticised now like. Sort it oot man, Stevie! :icon_lol:

Nah seriously they're a bunch of dicks.

:icon_lol:

Many a time I've been pissed on a bus or something going home and I find myself humming "U N I T E D Unaaatud aaa the team for me". Haha. I'm not obsessed Ijust respect them and envy them in equal measure. Proper club.

Theres at least three generations of Man U fan now that have only ever known regular trophy success so you have to factor that in whichever way you look at it.

I think I've mentioned before that one of my lowest moments as a football fan was sitting in a minibus after the 99 final waiting for the rest of the lads to get back and seeing a Man U fan with a kid of about 10 walking past - I couldn't help thinking how much the kid would assume that winning doubles/trebles was just the norm whereas I'd just about accepted by then that no matter how good we were, we'd never win anything.

Fuckin Everton ;) No sense of reality. Ask anyone not from Merseyside how they rate your support.

In my short time on this forum I've quickly learned that your completey clueless and absolutely deluded.

I didn't say we had 5,000 in Alkmaars ground I said we has 5,000 in Alkmaar. You don't need a ticket for a euro piss up.

And as for the atmopshere at Goodison, it's poor against the poorer teams that we expect a result off. Which is why it is poor when we play you.

In absolute tears at a Newcastle fan saying we've got no sense of reality. Irony-meter overload. Speak to anybody outside of Newcastle on your support, you're a laughing stock.

Like a lot of places, it used to be decent but has gone way downhill in recent years (though it is about 8 years since I was there).

I'd say the same about places like Chelsea and West Ham - too many families/women/students/posh.

(This also applies to SJP imo)

The 'didn't win the championship' for 26 years line is also a bit galling too tbh. Firstly it has them down as some sort of divine righters for the league, and secondly it gets wrongly interpreted as though they didnt win anything for 26 years. When you averaged it out, they picked up a trophy every four years or so in those intervening years (European Cups, FA Cups, League Cups, Cup Winners Cups) so it was never really any hardship following them at all. When they went down they came straight back up. Theres at least three generations of Man U fan now that have only ever known regular trophy success so you have to factor that in whichever way you look at it. That and the obvious media arse licking thats gone on for the last 50 years and you have to say generally speaking it's a pretty easy ride.

Agree with most of that, One daft cunt on the radio said there was 'light at the end of the tunnel' when they were about to win their first league title since the sixties. Fuck me! they'd only just won the Cup-Winners-cup and FA cup the year before!!

Yes they have a decent song list on the face of it but delve a bit deeper and how many are rip offs from other parts of the country altered by one of the tourists?

They actually think the 'Cheer up' song was started by them, the Blaydon Races version they sing is a fucking joke the United road song is too, their songs have even worse lyrics than fucking 2unlimited!

In my short time on this forum I've quickly learned that your completey clueless and absolutely deluded.

I didn't say we had 5,000 in Alkmaars ground I said we has 5,000 in Alkmaar. You don't need a ticket for a euro piss up.

And as for the atmopshere at Goodison, it's poor against the poorer teams that we expect a result off. Which is why it is poor when we play you.

In absolute tears at a Newcastle fan saying we've got no sense of reality. Irony-meter overload. Speak to anybody outside of Newcastle on your support, you're a laughing stock.

Most people outside of Newcastle buy into the (wholly inaccurate) Sky Sports News notion that all toon fans are deluded tbh. At the same time I don't think anyone outside of Newcastle genuinely thinks the support is a laughing stock. On the contrary in fact, rather it's summat that seems to get most teams backs up because it's still there despite us winning fuck all, ever.

Edited by manc-mag

Most people outside of Newcastle buy into the (wholly inaccurate) Sky Sports News notion that all toon fans are deluded tbh.

Jesus wept is that how you lot explain why everybody says you're deluded?

You have far too many fans that think you're a big club because you're lucky enough to have decent sized stadium. That is why everybody says your support is cringworthy at times, and they're spot on.

You have far too many fans that think you're a big club because you're lucky enough to have decent sized stadium. That is why everybody says your support is cringworthy at times, and they're spot on.

You have won the grand sum of 3 more trophies than us - are you one of those who sing "You've never won fuck all"?

Learn some history.

Most people outside of Newcastle buy into the (wholly inaccurate) Sky Sports News notion that all toon fans are deluded tbh.

Do me a favour, mate and just fuck off!

I've got time for Everton, because I feel like they're a proper old club with none of the day trippers your pals across the road are lumbered with. If you don't feel as though NUFC are also a big club then you're the one who has a seriously deluded point of view.

"Lucky enough to have a decent sized stadium" Not really sure what luck has to do with it tbh unless you can explain. Jealous?

Which takes me back to my original point.

I've never met a Newcastle fan who thinks we're going to win something / thinks we have a divine right to do so. Yet we are ofte portrayed as being like that. So I think it's an incorrect charge in that sense. And our support is pretty impressive tbf.