Best Fans in the UK

Guest Tuco Ramirez

You have far too many fans that think you're a big club because you're lucky enough to have decent sized stadium. That is why everybody says your support is cringworthy at times, and they're spot on.

You have won the grand sum of 3 more trophies than us - are you one of those who sing "You've never won fuck all"?

Learn some history.

You haven't won a trophy since, what, 1958ish, that's the excellent progress of a big club.

Have you ever had a period where you've dominated English football?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
We're right up there in terms of numbers. We've probably taken the biggest numbers to european aways in recent years. 10,000 to Villareal, 8,000 to Nuremburg, 5,000 to Alkmaar for a dead rubber game. We've also got arguably to the most intimidating home atmosphere in the league.

Norwich took 8,000 to an European away, as did Ipswich, it's no great shakes taking big numbers to your first significant European away in over a decade (which is what Villarreal was for you), we had 12,000 in Antwerp iirc in 94, when we hadn't been in iirc. You didn't have 5,000 in Alkmaar you had 1,800 that's all they give away teams. When Everton bring more than 1,500 here, I will rate them, they're no where near the top 10 supports in the UK imo, there's sides outside the Prem with better supporters imo.

The atmosphere at Goodison is largely shit, I've felt more intimidated at Blackburn.

Fuckin Everton ;) No sense of reality. Ask anyone not from Merseyside how they rate your support.

In my short time on this forum I've quickly learned that your completey clueless and absolutely deluded.

I didn't say we had 5,000 in Alkmaars ground I said we has 5,000 in Alkmaar. You don't need a ticket for a euro piss up.

And as for the atmopshere at Goodison, it's poor against the poorer teams that we expect a result off. Which is why it is poor when we play you.

In absolute tears at a Newcastle fan saying we've got no sense of reality. Irony-meter overload. Speak to anybody outside of Newcastle on your support, you're a laughing stock.

You've won here twice in 25 years you silly cunt, we expect to beat you at home too :icon_lol: Funny how you always get one of your best crowds of the season against us.

The thing with Everton and I've seen your fans admit this, you could win the league 10 times in a row, and still no one would notice you.

You have far too many fans that think you're a big club because you're lucky enough to have decent sized stadium. That is why everybody says your support is cringworthy at times, and they're spot on.

You have won the grand sum of 3 more trophies than us - are you one of those who sing "You've never won fuck all"?

Learn some history.

You haven't won a trophy since, what, 1958ish, that's the excellent progress of a big club.

No, we've never won fuck all. ;)

Guest Tuco Ramirez
We're right up there in terms of numbers. We've probably taken the biggest numbers to european aways in recent years. 10,000 to Villareal, 8,000 to Nuremburg, 5,000 to Alkmaar for a dead rubber game. We've also got arguably to the most intimidating home atmosphere in the league.

Norwich took 8,000 to an European away, as did Ipswich, it's no great shakes taking big numbers to your first significant European away in over a decade (which is what Villarreal was for you), we had 12,000 in Antwerp iirc in 94, when we hadn't been in iirc. You didn't have 5,000 in Alkmaar you had 1,800 that's all they give away teams. When Everton bring more than 1,500 here, I will rate them, they're no where near the top 10 supports in the UK imo, there's sides outside the Prem with better supporters imo.

The atmosphere at Goodison is largely shit, I've felt more intimidated at Blackburn.

Fuckin Everton ;) No sense of reality. Ask anyone not from Merseyside how they rate your support.

In my short time on this forum I've quickly learned that your completey clueless and absolutely deluded.

I didn't say we had 5,000 in Alkmaars ground I said we has 5,000 in Alkmaar. You don't need a ticket for a euro piss up.

And as for the atmopshere at Goodison, it's poor against the poorer teams that we expect a result off. Which is why it is poor when we play you.

In absolute tears at a Newcastle fan saying we've got no sense of reality. Irony-meter overload. Speak to anybody outside of Newcastle on your support, you're a laughing stock.

Most people outside of Newcastle buy into the (wholly inaccurate) Sky Sports News notion that all toon fans are deluded tbh. At the same time I don't think anyone outside of Newcastle genuinely thinks the support is a laughing stock. On the contrary in fact, rather it's summat that seems to get most teams backs up because it's still there despite us winning fuck all, ever.

Exactly. Teams like Villa and Everton are so jealous, if they won the league they wouldn't get the support we had in the championship, there is a lot of jealousy involved. On my travels with work etc... everyone when you have a decent chat about football defines our club by our support, and even the worst ones have a grudging admiration.

Learn some history.

1969 and yes - the period 1905-1912

ClubEverton, If you dont understand that Sky presents every single match with the simplest of narratives and reports on the game for the armchair fan then you are basically admitting that you are the target demographic for the weekly inanity spouted on SSN/match commentary.

Deluded is seeing more supporters than you could dream of turning up to cheer on shite despite years of near misses and abject failure and not being able to disentangle your own compromised emotional reaction to it.

Fuck off you utter cunt in other words.

I've never met a Newcastle fan who thinks we're going to win something / thinks we have a divine right to do so. Yet we are ofte portrayed as being like that. So I think it's an incorrect charge in that sense. And our support is pretty impressive tbf.

Though in fairness I can understand the potential for misunderstanding in a thread entitled:

"Best Fans in the UK (apart from us)" ;)

Learn some history.

Difference between size and success though, unless you reckon Notts Forest were bigger than Man Utd for a while.

I've never met a Newcastle fan who thinks we're going to win something / thinks we have a divine right to do so. Yet we are ofte portrayed as being like that. So I think it's an incorrect charge in that sense. And our support is pretty impressive tbf.

Though in fairness I can understand the potential for misunderstanding in a thread entitled:

"Best Fans in the UK (apart from us)" ;)

Aye :icon_lol:

Learn some history.

Yes we have dominated in the past. Just like you once did, in the past. Difference is my Scouse friend, we've stayed more loyal than most when the hard times come round, if you're comfortable with your fans efforts in similar circumstances then good for you, I'm more than ready to defend our supporters, who are the only big thing about the club according to fans of other clubs when accusing us of not being a big club, then the same mongs accuse our support of being shite in the next breath. Which is it?

Two bald men arguing over a comb tbh.

We did have a golden period recently but we blew it. We won nothing. Some would argue we were lucky to have it. The fact is that in terms of support and tradition we are a big club, as are Everton. It's a pointless argument. Neither of us are in the top tier of clubs today.

Chelsea don't look like falling from grace any time soon, nor do Arsenal, although Wenger will be a very tough act to follow obviously.

ManU and Liverpool have very real financial problems that could see them struggle. It remains to be seen how Woy does at the pool but whoever follows SAF will need balls of titanium. I guess Mourinho is the obvious candidate.

Citeh have the money, Spuds have the CL profile and then there are the smaller clubs who are stable and hard to beat like Birmingham and even Blackburn who we have to overtake first.

As for fans, ManU were the loudest I heard by a mile when I was living up there and going to games. Mind you they did thump us 2-6.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Learn some history.

Yes we have dominated in the past. Just like you once did, in the past. Difference is my Scouse friend, we've stayed more loyal than most when the hard times come round, if you're comfortable with your fans efforts in similar circumstances then good for you, I'm more than ready to defend our supporters, who are the only big thing about the club according to fans of other clubs when accusing us of not being a big club, then the same mongs accuse our support of being shite in the next breath. Which is it?

It's quite clear this lad is no older than 21, part of the Talksport generation. I was speaking to a blue dipper in London last time I was down, and he said he'd not missed a home game since 1977, and the best away support he'd ever seen was the toon in 1988, opening day when we lost 4-0. There was 45,000 in the ground, 10,000 toon fans he said 4-0 down you would think it was us who were winning.

I love the argument that we have a bigger ground so we get bigger crowds, when they can't even fucking sell out their little stadium against Man Utd ;) There was only 35,000 there on Saturday. Other clubs use it too.

Back to the point though, in my view and I've been going to games since 85 now, Everton have a shit support. Always a small allocation here, never ever sing, but when they do score they go fucking mental. I don't think there's a club in football who are as totally oblivious to the lack of interest nationally in their club. They might as well be Sheffield Wednesday.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

ClubEverton, If you dont understand that Sky presents every single match with the simplest of narratives and reports on the game for the armchair fan then you are basically admitting that you are the target demographic for the weekly inanity spouted on SSN/match commentary.

Deluded is seeing more supporters than you could dream of turning up to cheer on shite despite years of near misses and abject failure and not being able to disentangle your own compromised emotional reaction to it.

this.

Learn some history.

It's quite clear this lad is no older than 21, part of the Talksport generation. I was speaking to a blue dipper in London last time I was down, and he said he'd not missed a home game since 1977, and the best away support he'd ever seen was the toon in 1988, opening day when we lost 4-0. There was 45,000 in the ground, 10,000 toon fans* he said 4-0 down you would think it was us who were winning.

I love the argument that we have a bigger ground so we get bigger crowds, when they can't even fucking sell out their little stadium against Man Utd ;) There was only 35,000 there on Saturday. Other clubs use it too.

My first away game. I took my Irish cousin who naturally supported Liverpool along to it as he was over, it didn't surprise me but he was gobsmacked, literally as well as metaphorically, a stray arm hit him whilst surging on down to the Blaydon Races. :icon_lol:

*Was more 7000-8000 I reckon.

Edited by Howmanheyman

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Man U's away support is excellent but I agree with the "it's easy to follow them" view - of course the usual allocation is probably taken by a pretty constant set of people which makes it easy - then compare that with how shit their support is when its swelled for Semis/Finals.

The 'didn't win the championship' for 26 years line is also a bit galling too tbh. Firstly it has them down as some sort of divine righters for the league, and secondly it gets wrongly interpreted as though they didnt win anything for 26 years. When you averaged it out, they picked up a trophy every four years or so in those intervening years (European Cups, FA Cups, League Cups, Cup Winners Cups) so it was never really any hardship following them at all. When they went down they came straight back up. Theres at least three generations of Man U fan now that have only ever known regular trophy success so you have to factor that in whichever way you look at it. That and the obvious media arse licking thats gone on for the last 50 years and you have to say generally speaking it's a pretty easy ride.

Agree with most of that, One daft cunt on the radio said there was 'light at the end of the tunnel' when they were about to win their first league title since the sixties. Fuck me! they'd only just won the Cup-Winners-cup and FA cup the year before!!

Yes they have a decent song list on the face of it but delve a bit deeper and how many are rip offs from other parts of the country altered by one of the tourists?

They actually think the 'Cheer up' song was started by them, the Blaydon Races version they sing is a fucking joke the United road song is too, their songs have even worse lyrics than fucking 2unlimited!

ok fair enough, but for everyone like that they have a

Park Park where ever you may be, you eat dogs in your home country, but it could be worse you could be scouse eating rats in your council house.

I hope we sign Park just to sing that song.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
They actually think the 'Cheer up' song was started by them

It was the Mackems wasn't it? When they were running away with Division One in the mid 90s?

Aye it was...we once thought of you as scouser dressed in blue now you're red and white through Ch-ea-rrup P-ea-tur R-eeaa-d blah blah

;)

It was the Mackems wasn't it? When they were running away with Division One in the mid 90s?

Some mackem brought out a song (based on the Monkees one in tribute to Reid) which we changed the words of which the Man Utd fans basically copied changing the words slightly.

The thing is I always thought "sad mackem bastard" was a more natural fit than "Sunderland supporter" in that song which is why I was always dubious about which version came first.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

The thing is I always thought "sad mackem bastard" was a more natural fit than "Sunderland supporter" in that song which is why I was always dubious about which version came first.

it makes me laugh when you walk past Barker and Stonehouse before the game and you have that lass busker who sings in a yank accent, and she sings "sad mackem batsurrrd and a...." in yank.

it makes me laugh when you walk past Barker and Stonehouse before the game and you have that lass busker who sings in a yank accent, and she sings "sad mackem batsurrrd and a...." in yank.

Is she still there? ;) Rarely walk past that side of the ground before the match.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
You bit first tbf.

I think he was genuinely astonished no one mentioned Everton, funny how he defended the clubs support by saying they had 3200 fans outside of Alkmaar's ground who couldn't get in ;)