NUST meltdown

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

The meeting was, as expected a bit of a farce. New chairman Norman gave his speech which gloated about how we had managed to gain 75 new members in the last month including 10 new lifetime memberships. I would love to see the background to this, what in the last month has made 75 people think "thats an organisation I want to be part of"? The only times its been mentioned has been to slate it for its lack of doing anything other than piss off its members.

What he failed to include in that little stat was we'd lost 50% of the members in the preceeding 4 months.

It also needs sadly putting on record that the vice chair declared herself "perfectly happy" to lose these 1000+ members who had "joined a supporters club" and replace them with 75 people who wanted to be part of a supporters trust.

I was flabergasted by that to be honest and can't understand the logic or reasoning that goes into it. The idea that you just let 1000+ of your paying membership drift off into the night without even trying to swing them around to the benefits of a Trust is staggering. Sitting someone like Colin Whittle in front of them for five minutes and letting him talk passionately about ST's would probably have convinced more than half to give it another year but it seems like those making decisions decided against the worth of this. I was very disappointed to hear this.

As for what made 75 people sign up in the last month. I'd guess these figures are largely reactionary and have gone through following the acrimonious departure of Chris Hughton. Whenever there's turmoil at the club the Trust gets a little spike in membership as people seek to invest in the only thing that seems to offer an alternative to what's currently in place.

He went on to say how we had a debt from YWC of £9000 owing to the Chronicle but due to some "exceptional fundraising" we had paid off £7000 so far and had agreement to pay the remaining by end of March. The accounts however only showed £2000 being raised by fundraising, when questioned on this he admitted the other £5k had been paid for with members subscriptions.

The revelations of how this debt was occurred was staggering. One man (thankfully no longer associated with the Trust) acting alone and given free reign to negotiate with NJC media almost bankrupting the organisation as a result. That this was allowed to happen is, in my view, inexcusable (although its important to point out that this apprently all occurred before the current board were elected). I was also disappointed with the vagueries offered by the former chair of exactly what it was that we got for our money. I wasn't able to get any coherent answer out of anyone in attendence other than that it was some "advertising" for the YWC campaign and there was way too much shrugging of shoulders when I asked for specifics. Instead I was told that the campaign attracted "1000 new members"....a good job as we were apparently letting another 1000 walk out of the door.

It seems obvious now why NJC media has all but stopped mentioning the Trust as the two must have a very uncomfortable relationship.

Was I the only one who was under the impression that NJC had agreed to offer the Trust free advertising in the light of the 'Al-Together now' campaign the two outfits ran at the close of our relegation season?

Edited by MichaelNUFC

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meeting was, as expected a bit of a farce. New chairman Norman gave his speech which gloated about how we had managed to gain 75 new members in the last month including 10 new lifetime memberships. I would love to see the background to this, what in the last month has made 75 people think "thats an organisation I want to be part of"? The only times its been mentioned has been to slate it for its lack of doing anything other than piss off its members.

What he failed to include in that little stat was we'd lost 50% of the members in the preceeding 4 months.

It also needs sadly putting on record that the vice chair declared herself "perfectly happy" to lose these 1000+ members who had "joined a supporters club" and replace them with 75 people who wanted to be part of a supporters trust.

I was flabergasted by that to be honest and can't understand the logic or reasoning that goes into it. The idea that you just let 1000+ of your paying membership drift off into the night without even trying to swing them around to the benefits of a Trust is staggering. Sitting someone like Colin Whittle in front of them for five minutes and letting him talk passionately about ST's would probably have convinced more than half to give it another year but it seems like those making decisions decided against the worth of this. I was very disappointed to hear this.

As for what made 75 people sign up in the last month. I'd guess these figures are largely reactionary and have gone through following the acrimonious departure of Chris Hughton. Whenever there's turmoil at the club the Trust gets a little spike in membership as people seek to invest in the only thing that seems to offer an alternative to what's currently in place. They could be boosting their membership right now by putting out a properly worded statement about the sale of Andy Carroll...unfortunately they've failed to do that as well. :lol:

He went on to say how we had a debt from YWC of £9000 owing to the Chronicle but due to some "exceptional fundraising" we had paid off £7000 so far and had agreement to pay the remaining by end of March. The accounts however only showed £2000 being raised by fundraising, when questioned on this he admitted the other £5k had been paid for with members subscriptions.

The revelations of how this debt was occurred was staggering. One man (thankfully no longer associated with the Trust) acting alone and given free reign to negotiate with NJC media almost bankrupting the organisation as a result. That this was allowed to happen is, in my view, inexcusable (although its important to point out that this apprently all occurred before the current board were elected). I was also disappointed with the vagueries offered by the former chair of exactly what it was that we got for our money. I wasn't able to get any coherent answer out of anyone in attendence other than that it was some "advertising" for the YWC campaign and there was way too much shrugging of shoulders when I asked for specifics. Instead I was told that the campaign attracted "1000 new members"....a good job as we were apparently letting another 1000 walk out of the door.

It seems obvious now why NJC media has all but stopped mentioning the Trust as the two must have a very uncomfortable relationship.

Was I the only one who was under the impression that NJC had agreed to offer the Trust free advertising in the light of the 'Al-Together now' campaign the two outfits ran at the close of our relegation season?

Astounding to be honest. Time for good people like yourselves and PP resign from this shower and find someone who can set up a supporters club. They would happily get my dosh.

As for what made 75 people sign up in the last month. I'd guess these figures are largely reactionary and have gone through following the acrimonious departure of Chris Hughton. Whenever there's turmoil at the club the Trust gets a little spike in membership as people seek to invest in the only thing that seems to offer an alternative to what's currently in place. They could be boosting their membership right now by putting out a properly worded statement about the sale of Andy Carroll...unfortunately they've failed to do that as well. :lol:

Astounding to be honest. Time for good people like yourselves and PP resign from this shower and find someone who can set up a supporters club. They would happily get my dosh.

The people that might have joined have already had their fingers burnt. You don't get multiple chances to set something like this up unfortunately.

The people that might have joined have already had their fingers burnt. You don't get multiple chances to set something like this up unfortunately.

Probably very true but yet again, one of the biggest clubs in the country and dont have a supporters club.

Probably very true but yet again, one of the biggest clubs in the country and dont have a supporters club.

much less, a pub.

much less, a pub.

If that really is the case, then fuck them. I'm fuming at the arrogance of this lot. I hope it crashes & burns, and leaves the cunts out of pocket. :D

I hinted at it earlier but I felt her attitude along with Mr Tucks was quite disgraceful. Contempt shown for certain members when they questioned things and an aggresive attitude.

totally agree

The revelations of how this debt was occurred was staggering. One man (thankfully no longer associated with the Trust) acting alone and given free reign to negotiate with NJC media almost bankrupting the organisation as a result. That this was allowed to happen is, in my view, inexcusable (although its important to point out that this apprently all occurred before the current board were elected).

Again I alluded to this with my question however Mr Jensen kept schtum when I asked if the person was alone in the meetings. The simple fact is that he wasnt, who was with him? Mr Jensen now if anyone would have been seen as having the necessary authority it would have been MJ. As much as I never really got on with the person in question I feel hes been made a scapegoat to get MJ off the hook.

I was also disappointed with the vagueries offered by the former chair of exactly what it was that we got for our money. I wasn't able to get any coherent answer out of anyone in attendence other than that it was some "advertising" for the YWC campaign and there was way too much shrugging of shoulders when I asked for specifics. Instead I was told that the campaign attracted "1000 new members"....a good job as we were apparently letting another 1000 walk out of the door.

It staggered me that we could pay x thousands for advetising yet not know what it was we were paying for!

As a member of the board at the time that was my belief, in the little snippets the rest of us were given it was made out that this was a campaign ran by us with the support of the Chron

Shame, but :D NUST.

Must be gutting to the likes of Pud, Tom_Nufc etc who actively participated in it's setting up.

Honestly, it's heartbreaking.

I'm paid up til September, but unless there is a big improvement in the running of the trust and the attitude of the committee, I'm done with it. I was genuinely excited at the prospect of an organisation representing NUFC fans, of NUFC fans of all thoughts and opinions having their say on the running of the trust. Of getting some pretty big numbers in terms of membership. The really galling thing is that simply by listening and engaging and involving members (and potential members) it is possible. But instead we're sidelined, and talked down to if we dare question or criticise.

If others were interested in setting up a proper supporters group committed to engaging and involving members, I'd be up for it like a shot. Because, I still believe that it's something NUFC fans need and if we can't get NUST to do it, we have to set up an alternative.

And to answer Your query Michael re the Chron ads being free. I was of the same opinion.

They were putting the blame on a 'certain individual' no longer connected with the trust, and whilst he may well have been involved I simply don't believe he did it all alone and without anyone elses knowledge. I think he may be a convenient scapegoat.

Shame, but :D NUST.

Must be gutting to the likes of Pud, Tom_Nufc etc who actively participated in it's setting up.

Honestly, it's heartbreaking.

I'm paid up til September, but unless there is a big improvement in the running of the trust and the attitude of the committee, I'm done with it. I was genuinely excited at the prospect of an organisation representing NUFC fans, of NUFC fans of all thoughts and opinions having their say on the running of the trust. Of getting some pretty big numbers in terms of membership. The really galling thing is that simply by listening and engaging and involving members (and potential members) it is possible. But instead we're sidelined, and talked down to if we dare question or criticise.

If others were interested in setting up a proper supporters group committed to engaging and involving members, I'd be up for it like a shot. Because, I still believe that it's something NUFC fans need and if we can't get NUST to do it, we have to set up an alternative.

And to answer Your query Michael re the Chron ads being free. I was of the same opinion.

They were putting the blame on a 'certain individual' no longer connected with the trust, and whilst he may well have been involved I simply don't believe he did it all alone and without anyone elses knowledge. I think he may be a convenient scapegoat.

Id definitely be up for it.

Look at the Arsenal model (I know) arrange a few pre match drinking meetings and get the thing going.

Lots of talent and contacts around the boards to get started.

Build it.....and they will come.

Seriously A great time to start it when members have turned away from NUST in droves. No silly plans, just a bog standard supporters club for starters.

Look at the Arsenal model (I know) arrange a few pre match drinking meetings and get the thing going.

Seriously A great time to start it when members have turned away from NUST in droves. No silly plans, just a bog standard supporters club for starters.

Yeah. I've thought a lot about it, and I've thought about whether it would be right for another fans group to go head to head against the trust (think the Judean People's Front in The Life of Brian). But if NUST won't act to the will of the members, f*ck it, lets put something up against it that will, and see which one people join.

If there are enough people interested, as I've said I'd love to be involved in setting something up.

Guest Your Name Here
Regardless of Time, regardless of venue, a turnout of 18 people for something like this is a fucking disgrace (a meeting that was open till 8:00pm). More people have commented in this thread than could be bothered to turn up.

So much for "I'm going and so are five of my mates". Half the audience were made up of former NUSC comittee members.

Fucking bullshit. We have ultimately ended up with exactly what we deserve:

A joke.

Hope everyone is happy with what's happened tonight at the club. You're stuck with it forever because you can't be fucking arsed.

18 is a fair reflection of the way the trust has been run over the last 18 months. I toyed with renewing just so I could tell the committee what a mess they’ve made of things, but at the end of the day they don’t give a shit.

I can understand why you’re angry but the blame for the crappy turnout lies entirely at the door of those who have treated the membership with contempt.

Turns out it's far easier to talk up a revolution from your armchair than it is to get off your arse and make it into the toon centre. If the match was re-arranged to 6pm we'd have an attendance of about 800 based on the turnout last night.

Did you see BC's face when he walked in and realised nobody else could be bothered to come - thought he was going to turn round and fuck off. To be honest he might as well have because he hardly said two words and didn't put up much of a fight when he was criticised for not telling the board officially that he'd resigned. If you can't get an ex board member to cause trouble knowing all the bad news then what hope have we got?

Not surprised that Chris Tuck got pissed off with the pompous twat near the front mind.

Can't believe that my £10 didn't even get me a cup of tea or coffee. Now I know that it's gone to ncj I'm not buying the Chronicle again.

Time to stop pissing about with NUST.

PP and TOM need to setup a supporters club. It's clear that you've got all the support from this site that you need.

Edited by myleftfoot

Yeah. I've thought a lot about it, and I've thought about whether it would be right for another fans group to go head to head against the trust (think the Judean People's Front in The Life of Brian). But if NUST won't act to the will of the members, f*ck it, lets put something up against it that will, and see which one people join.

If there are enough people interested, as I've said I'd love to be involved in setting something up.

You wouldnt be going against nothing. The trust is dead and buried. Not being funny, but its probably harder for the likes of yourself ans Pud to see having being so close to it, put so much in and had such great hopes for it. It may be lingering, but its dead.

Somebody said earlier in this thread that now is the wrong time to try again with this so fresh in peoples memories. But in truth and because of that it is the ideal time to try again.

There is a desire out there for a great supporters club. Keep it simple stupid.

If it was down to me organising it, I would make contact with the Arsenal supporters club and see if there is any chance of a get together prior to the game to cherry pick some ideas on the best way forward. What works, whats important and whats not.

http://www.arsenalsupportersclub.co.uk/

The greatest achievements are those built on solid foundations. Worry about the first 10 members, not the first 1000.

I have no doubt you would get a good few off here for starters. Then just let the thing grow at its own pace.

A few socials, a few pre match drinks, a player night etc.

Howay lads, get it sorted.

Yeah. I've thought a lot about it, and I've thought about whether it would be right for another fans group to go head to head against the trust.

No need for that to happen to be honest. Arsenal have a seperatly run Supporters Trust and a Supporters club and both do different things that are mutually beneficial to their fanbase. There is no conflict of interest. The Arsenal Trust has achieved its goal of a stake in the club and the ASC has bought the much vaunted pub.

I don't actually think that those running the Trust are against the idea of a seperate supporters club emerging but as I've said before I don't belive the current plight of NUST is in any way related to it being a Trust or not being a Trust; its come about by them failing to properly communicate with their paying membership, failing to properly represent fans views in the media and failure to build any sort of meaningful relationship with the club.

These failures have come about by the adopted policies of the current elected board; none of which are recommended by any Trust guideline; quite the opposite, in fact.

Still: Next members meeting March 3rd...and I didn't hear a 'no' on using the Irish Centre.

I don't actually think that those running the Trust are against the idea of a seperate supporters club emerging but as I've said before I don't belive the current plight of NUST is in any way related to it being a Trust or not being a Trust; its come about by them failing to properly communicate with their paying membership, failing to properly represent fans views in the media and failure to build any sort of meaningful relationship with the club.

These failures have come about by the adopted policies of the current elected board; none of which are recommended by any Trust guideline; quite the opposite, in fact.

I agree, but its only one trust per club, so we can't set up another supporters trust. And I again agree with you saying the problem isn't the trust status, its the fact that as you say they've failed to communicate with the members.

Still: Next members meeting March 3rd...and I didn't hear a 'no' on using the Irish Centre.

Yes, I did find that encouraging, and the fact that Bill confirmed they can use the Irish club for nowt must take away an excuses about available venues and the expense of venue hire.

You wouldnt be going against nothing. The trust is dead and buried. Not being funny, but its probably harder for the likes of yourself ans Pud to see having being so close to it, put so much in and had such great hopes for it. It may be lingering, but its dead.

Somebody said earlier in this thread that now is the wrong time to try again with this so fresh in peoples memories. But in truth and because of that it is the ideal time to try again.

If it was down to me organising it, I would make contact with the Arsenal supporters club and see if there is any chance of a get together prior to the game to cherry pick some ideas on the best way forward. What works, whats important and whats not.

The greatest achievements are those built on solid foundations. Worry about the first 10 members, not the first 1000.

I have no doubt you would get a good few off here for starters. Then just let the thing grow at its own pace.

So will you put your money where your mouth is, and get involved then?

Setting this up isn't and can't be a one or two man job, its going to take quite a few people.

So will you put your money where your mouth is, and get involved then?

Setting this up isn't and can't be a one or two man job, its going to take quite a few people.

Said many times I will do what I can. Wouldnt want to be at the forefront as an out of towner and currently none season ticket holder. I would like to see real genuine salt of the earths overseeing it.

I dont know you but from what I've read from PP over two to three years, he seems very genuine.

I would do whatever I could, however I would strongly suggest the Arsenal meet us as a very good first step. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Ready and waiting sa. :D

Anyone seen the chronicle tonight?

Mark Jensen quoted solely as the Editor of The Mag. No mention of his role at the Trust and no attempt made to promote it in his quote. That's such an easily corrected, basic error from an organisation that should be desperate to advertise itself to disaffected supporters during something like the Carroll saga.

To top it all the same article has quoted FRANK GILMORE of ex-INUSC. Talk about going full circle!

:D

Edited by MichaelNUFC

• 2 weeks later...

They've got another meeting on Thursday March 3 at the more sensible time of 7.30pm (expected to go on until 9.30pm). At Northumbria Uni's Sport Central (at the very bottom of Northumberland Rd).

Discussing the survey and they have James Mathie from Supporters Direct along as well.

They've got another meeting on Thursday March 3 at the more sensible time of 7.30pm (expected to go on until 9.30pm). At Northumbria Uni's Sport Central (at the very bottom of Northumberland Rd).

Discussing the survey and they have James Mathie from Supporters Direct along as well.

I've also noticed that they've been quite active in releasing statements over the past few days regarding, ticketing, seats etc. Too little too late perhaps but a move in the right direction at least.

Unfortunately these "press releases" still don't appear to be being picked up or published in the papers which I think is further evidence that the "we'll go to them not have them come to us" policy with the press isn't necessarily working. You have to have a bit of give and take with the press and that means popping up on their shows to discuss minor things now and again in return for them promoting you when you need it.

Undoubtedly a much better venue chosen this time for the next meeting though.

Edited by MichaelNUFC

Regardless of Time, regardless of venue, a turnout of 18 people for something like this is a fucking disgrace (a meeting that was open till 8:00pm). More people have commented in this thread than could be bothered to turn up.

So much for "I'm going and so are five of my mates". Half the audience were made up of former NUSC comittee members.

Fucking bullshit. We have ultimately ended up with exactly what we deserve:

A joke.

Hope everyone is happy with what's happened tonight at the club. You're stuck with it forever because you can't be fucking arsed.

18 is a fair reflection of the way the trust has been run over the last 18 months. I toyed with renewing just so I could tell the committee what a mess they’ve made of things, but at the end of the day they don’t give a shit.

I can understand why you’re angry but the blame for the crappy turnout lies entirely at the door of those who have treated the membership with contempt.

I renewed even though the heresay from this site was compelling me not to. I originally joined as I was all for the Supporters Club when it started up and thought it was a good idea, and could only do good. I was impressed with a few of the people at the very first meeting and renewed as I felt that a lot of people deserved the benefit of the doubt for actually trying to make something happen. It looks as though my tenner went straight to Thompson House!!! I can't stand our local papers and this boils my piss even more. I thought these people were backing the trust out of some kind of local benevolence, however, true to form they weren't.

Anyone, with only limited knowledge of whats been happening with the NUST would've been forgiven for jacking it in and for anyone to show surprise at a shit turnout shows just how out of touch they must be.

I think the new chairman needs to ask questions of some of the committee members, because a number of them have kept both members and other committee members in the dark.

I'm now at the stage where I simply don't trust (excuse the pun) many of those on the committee.

As I and others have stressed though, the Trust model itself isn't the problem. That lies with those who have been running NUST.

But it's one trust per club, so I would be more than happy to have a supporters club established, with the emphasis being supporting the team.