One for Gemmill

Tooj

We know that Ranger has had converstations with Carroll and the senior pros. I would bet my bottom dollar that he has also had conversations with Hughton about his attitude/work rate. All these conversations have been behind closed doors without success - it seems. Surely there is nowhere else to go but for the manager to put it out in the open that the player's attitude stinks? The latest attempt to get the penny to drop?

As to Krul's kicking, thank fuck Parsnip wasn't the manager during Given's early days or he would never have shut up about him!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know that Ranger has had converstations with Carroll and the senior pros. I would bet my bottom dollar that he has also had conversations with Hughton about his attitude/work rate. All these conversations have been behind closed doors without success - it seems. Surely there is nowhere else to go but for the manager to put it out in the open that the player's attitude stinks? The latest attempt to get the penny to drop?

He should send him back to the reserves for a bit.

I am afraid Pardew reminds me of Souness in many ways.

Souness started off praising the players he inherited, but when the results went wrong due to his piss poor tactics, he started critisizing the players.

I think we will see this team gradually broken apart by Pardew so that he has his own men in situ. I just hope that whoever he brings in improves the squad, and is not at the expense of the likes of Barton, Enrique, Colo, Willo etc

Seen enough in the Wham and Liv games to give Pards a chance. Won't really see his imprint on the side for a few months yet.

Agree, I've been relieved by the team spirit being seemingly unaffected by Pardews introduction so far

He should send him back to the reserves for a bit.

Probably would if he had some better strikers on the books.

Might not be very fair but is it damaging? Which is what i'm interpreting people as saying. I dont know how people can definitively claim it damages morale or player motivation. Whats the evidence for this?

Feels like a truism to me.

Im with you on that I dont belive that it should affect a players ability in any way other than to motivate them to prove him wrong. However it should go across the board so I'll believe it when I see him rant about Smith.

Was 'Pards' at Southampton when Ranger was hoyed oot because of it?

Nope.

edit : Ranger was gone a year before the lothario took over down there.

Edited by Barney

Might not be very fair but is it damaging? Which is what i'm interpreting people as saying. I dont know how people can definitively claim it damages morale or player motivation. Whats the evidence for this?

Feels like a truism to me.

Im with you on that I dont belive that it should affect a players ability in any way other than to motivate them to prove him wrong. However it should go across the board so I'll believe it when I see him rant about Smith.

I agree it should be across the board, but telling Smith he's shit isn't going to achieve anything, he can't improve. Pardew did say Smith wants to play upfront, but he didn't think he had it in his locker.

Was 'Pards' at Southampton when Ranger was hoyed oot because of it?

Nope.

edit : Ranger was gone a year before the lothario took over down there.

Right, I knew he'd been to Charlton and Southampton since West Ham but couldn't remember the order.

Didnt agree with the last criticism about twitter, nor this one.

Decision to bring on Tiote was stupid but don't see how people can get upset about the performance and criticism of the players at the same time.

Well, it's the question if the manager should criticise players in public. Imho it's man managment at its worst tbh.

Ferguson does it.

http://www.gloryunited.info/4810/2010/08/2...g-silly-points/

You've just heard that a manager shouldnt criticise his players in public and as it sounds like a reasonable thing, now hold it as a form of truth. The reality is that you arent qualified to understand the motivational dynamics at play. Speaking as a manager of people i'd say 'bollocks' to that claim 'it depends on the individual'.

Anyway, lets look again at what he said rather than examining the notion of player criticism. 'A few young boys got caught out'. If you deem that language as potentially damaging to player morale, i'd have to question your motives for saying that.

I agree. Keegan also did it, and other managers do, sometimes, it depends on what they say and the circumstances.

Too many people seem over keen to slate Pardew for anything IMO.

Criticism of the players in this instance is justified, he didn't really say anything to crush any of their poor little ego's in this instance.

If he thinks Smith is not the player he used to be, if he thinks Ranger needs to get his head together if he is to fulfill some potential he has shown earlier, and if he thinks Krul is a flapper who should be doing a lot better and taking people out when he comes for crosses more often, he would be correct but comments like that are best kept in the dressing room and behind closed doors.

Decision to bring on Tiote was stupid but don't see how people can get upset about the performance and criticism of the players at the same time.

Well, it's the question if the manager should criticise players in public. Imho it's man managment at its worst tbh.

Ferguson does it.

You've just heard that a manager shouldnt criticise his players in public and as it sounds like a reasonable thing, now hold it as a form of truth. The reality is that you arent qualified to understand the motivational dynamics at play. Speaking as a manager of people i'd say 'bollocks' to that claim 'it depends on the individual'.

Anyway, lets look again at what he said rather than examining the notion of player criticism. 'A few young boys got caught out'. If you deem that language as potentially damaging to player morale, i'd have to question your motives for saying that.

I agree. Keegan also did it, and other managers do, sometimes, it depends on what they say and the circumstances.

Criticism of the players in this instance is justified, he didn't really say anything to crush any of their poor little ego's in this instance.

If he thinks Smith is not the player he used to be, if he thinks Ranger needs to get his head together if he is to fulfill some potential he has shown earlier, and if he thinks Krul is a flapper who should be doing a lot better and taking people out when he comes for crosses more often, he would be correct but comments like that are best kept in the dressing room and behind closed doors.

So you rather agree with me. Good.

Ferguson does it.

So you rather agree with me. Good.

what I mean mate, is individual comments and thoughts are for the dressing room or his own private opinions, but team criticism including errors on a particular day when deserved is well justified, and they should be able to take it. Maybe there is a case for someone who consistently puts in high performance having an off day, but Krul has made a few poor mistakes lately, somebody must have spoken to him about it so when do you go further ? It's a thin line, admittedly, especially when you/we don't know the character of the player concerned.

I'm pleased Harper is back in goal, Krul has to learn if he wants to keep his place next time he gets a run.

If a top division team loses to a low league team and doesn't turn up like that, they deserve a huge rocket and us the supporters are entitled to expect they get it. No excuse for it really.

Edited by LeazesMag

Just for the record. I actually do agree that public criticism can be justified and helpful. I actually think it's probably justified in the case of Ranger tbh.

But as I stated somewhere above, it has to be balanced and fair to have the desired effect. Imho (and from what I actually got taught about personal managment) you have to be rather careful that it doesn't backfire. You need to be in a strong position, something that the aforementioned likes of Ferguson or Keegan are/were but Pardew isn't (yet). He wasn't a popular choice, neither by the players nor the fans, so his actions are still under scrutiny. Singling out individuals for criticism when others have been as bad or worse is normally not helping you either. That's why I still think Pardew should 'pipe down' a bit. I admit it's not man managment at its worst, but imho still pretty poor.