One for Gemmill

Tooj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-27957717/?

With Steve Harper’s wife due to give birth, Holland Under-21 captain Tim Krul was given an opportunity in goal.

Pardew blamed him for setting an unfortunate tone. He added: “We did not pass the ball well. The goalkeeper had a problem kicking the ball, he seemed to be shanking a lot of kicks.

“That was putting us under a lot of pressure.

“That was not the sort of standard we expect from Newcastle and what I expect as a manager.”

Can someone explain why it needs to be kept secret from the public that the manager thinks the goalkeeper's kicking was poor?

Some things should stay in house but am not sure a player's performance is immune to criticism.

My own view of the modern player is that public image and reputation are hugely motivating factors, much more than they used to be. If you make it in the modern game, financially your future is secure (unless you're a mug like Paul Merson). Few players are good enough to play for a team that realistically challenges for honours. So apart from a sense of professionalism, what is motivating a player? Tevez, Rooney, Henry (off the top of my head), all made big decisions in their career on the basis of public perception (depsite the fact that they are players who could focus solely on winning honours - i hope you see my point).

If being paid lots of money and playing for a great club like Newcastle still leaves a player lacking in focus so that they cant translate their talent onto the pitch consistently, where do you go? I presume most players are told to concentrate and ensure they dont make silly mistakes in the nicest possible way. What happens when this isnt working?

Kick em up the arse imo.

Agree with Tooj here like. I'm not that arsed about this but singling out the youngsters is a bit unfair and the easy option. It's not like the experienced players were any better.

What is the benefit of bringing it out into the public? If the manager can't get the players to work on areas of perceived weakness by instructing them to do so then he's not doing a great job.

Might not be very fair but is it damaging? Which is what i'm interpreting people as saying. I dont know how people can definitively claim it damages morale or player motivation. Whats the evidence for this?

Feels like a truism to me.

Depends on the player, IMO. Some players will respond to public pressure and rise to it, some might fall apart.

Aside from banging his players wives, Pardew has a reputation as an excellent man-manager. I'd trust his judgement on this(unless Krul has a fit lass).

Might not be very fair but is it damaging? Which is what i'm interpreting people as saying. I dont know how people can definitively claim it damages morale or player motivation. Whats the evidence for this?

Feels like a truism to me.

Is there any evidence that it improves player performance?

What is the benefit of bringing it out into the public? If the manager can't get the players to work on areas of perceived weakness by instructing them to do so then he's not doing a great job.

I have tried to put forward the case that for some players, a bit of public admonishment might work. When the player has ability but its not translating perfectly, its a question of psychology and motivation. Which is fucking complex and not subject to bland catch-all statements like 'dont criticise them in public'. In fact maybe this is one of the few tools available to a manager when the financial and other motivational factors arent quite cutting it.

I have tried to put forward the case that for some players, a bit of public admonishment might work. When the player has ability but its not translating perfectly, its a question of psychology and motivation. Which is fucking complex and not subject to bland catch-all statements like 'dont criticise them in public'. In fact maybe this is one of the few tools available to a manager when the financial and other motivational factors arent quite cutting it.

I understand the thinking behind, however, I'd question the effectiveness of such actions. Given that Hughton appeared to have done such a good job in building team spirit and camaraderie, for Pardew to come in and start to criticise individual players in public isn't the best tactic imo.

I understand the thinking behind, however, I'd question the effectiveness of such actions. Given that Hughton appeared to have done such a good job in building team spirit and camaraderie, for Pardew to come in and start to criticise individual players in public isn't the best tactic imo.

That's what worries me the most. Football players are modern days prima donnas and football a game where performances and are vastly influenced by factors like confidence. That doesn't mean a manager isn't allowed to criticise players either behind the doors or in public. But the timing of it must be right and the criticism must be just. Pardew wasn't a popular choice and replaced a manager who was very well liked as the first reaction of the team to the decision of the board shows. So imho Pardew first has to win the trust of the players before he can start dishing out criticism. Also, when he criticises he should keep the balance in mind. Singling out certain players when the whole team was utter rubbish last weekend isn't fair and hardly suited to motivate single underperforming players. His special mention of the younger players was utter rubbish when he exculpated others because of fatigue - including wasters like Smith or Perch.

Has Pardew ripped Smith to shreds in the press yet, btw?

Has he fuck. But then Smith is a favourite of Ashley, isn't he?

Might be trying to keep him sweet to keep the dressing room onside, or not slag him off to potential employers.

I'm not by any means a Pardew apologist, btw.

I am afraid Pardew reminds me of Souness in many ways.

Souness started off praising the players he inherited, but when the results went wrong due to his piss poor tactics, he started critisizing the players.

I think we will see this team gradually broken apart by Pardew so that he has his own men in situ. I just hope that whoever he brings in improves the squad, and is not at the expense of the likes of Barton, Enrique, Colo, Willo etc

Souness started off praising the players he inherited, but when the results went wrong due to his piss poor tactics, he started critisizing the players.

I think we will see this team gradually broken apart by Pardew so that he has his own men in situ. I just hope that whoever he brings in improves the squad, and is not at the expense of the likes of Barton, Enrique, Colo, Willo etc

'Proper' players.

I don't see Pardew getting much money to spend so that Souness comparison falls down there. Other than that it's probably a decent assessment of his managerial 'skills'.

'Proper' players.

souness had a thing about real men that you'd want alongside you in the trenches too iirc.

was it leazes that used to call him the scottish fuckpig? :lol:

Seen enough in the Wham and Liv games to give Pards a chance. Won't really see his imprint on the side for a few months yet.