The F1 2011 thread

Craig

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. But then I guess the world keeps turning. DC's career would have turned out different had Imola '94 not happened.

Hard to be believe that is 17 years ago now.

lotus_1781444b.jpg

The old black & gold Lotus livery looks great on the Renault.

Looking good though strange without the JPS Special logo!

Were you aware they're being investigated for the paint scheme? Apparently they're concerned that people will still see it as JPS! :lol:

lotus_1781444b.jpg

Looking good though strange without the JPS Special logo!

Were you aware they're being investigated for the paint scheme? Apparently they're concerned that people will still see it as JPS! :lol:

No I didnt know that Craig :lol: I know what they're saying because with well known logos its just the colours and style that you see, not the actual words. I hope they can keep their paint scheme though. Its easily going to be my favourite this season.

Rumour has it that Ferrari may well be behind it having had their knuckles wrapped for the Marlboro barcode incident last season.

That would not surprise me :lol: Bloody whingers that Ferrari are!

My god Kubica is lucky to be alive.....

Kubicas rally car

Well that explains how it's his right side that's damaged and not the left - though that was a bit odd for a left hand drive vehicle.

A couple of inches to the side and it'd have been through his chest cavity and he'd be dead. Lucky, lucky, lucky....

My god Kubica is lucky to be alive.....

Kubicas rally car

Well that explains how it's his right side that's damaged and not the left - though that was a bit odd for a left hand drive vehicle.

A couple of inches to the side and it'd have been through his chest cavity and he'd be dead. Lucky, lucky, lucky....

Yeah it makes me feel quite sick. Rallying has to be the most dangerous of motorsports. Time and again driving flat out within inches of trees, walls and people amazes me. Not to mention some of the sheer drops :lol:

(I tell myself this as Im trying to make myself believe that circuit racing is much safer, as thats what hubby and son will be doing this season) :lol:

Rumour has it that Ferrari may well be behind it having had their knuckles wrapped for the Marlboro barcode incident last season.

They should watch themselves. That Scuderia Ferrari logo on the engine cover has a more than passing resemblance to half a Marlboro logo.

They should watch themselves. That Scuderia Ferrari logo on the engine cover has a more than passing resemblance to half a Marlboro logo.

That hadn't gone without my notice too... Probably think they can get away with it if LRGP can.

anyone else seen force indias car instead of the roll hoop they have gone for a blade kind of thing.

im glad a couple of teams are trying radical things this season.

is there anywhere on the web we can watch the testing? must be screened somewhere.

lotus_1781444b.jpg

Stupid question, but is that a Lotus, with a Renault engine, or the Renault car?

And is KERS back this season or next?

KERS is back this season also adjustable rear wings.

the car is from Group Lotus with renault engines and some sort of deal with renault they are having a dispute with Team Lotus over naming rights.

Team lotus owner tony fernandes bought the name after group lotus left his deal with them at the end of last season.

i hope Team lLotus win the right to use the name as it is the original name of the Lotus team.

if that dont make any sense im really crap with words :lol:

anyone else seen force indias car instead of the roll hoop they have gone for a blade kind of thing.

im glad a couple of teams are trying radical things this season.

is there anywhere on the web we can watch the testing? must be screened somewhere.

McLaren did that last year.

I dont think you can view testing anywhere, though when our friend was a test team member with Williams and before that, Arrows... he used to ring us up from the pit wall :lol: Loud! We had a great day out at a test day at Silverstone once, with pit passes and passes into the garages. I never realised just how loud an F1 car was untill I stood next to it being revved up :lol: And that was with ear plugs in :lol:

lotus_1781444b.jpg

Stupid question, but is that a Lotus, with a Renault engine, or the Renault car?

And is KERS back this season or next?

KERS is back this season also adjustable rear wings.

the car is from Group Lotus with renault engines and some sort of deal with renault they are having a dispute with Team Lotus over naming rights.

Team lotus owner tony fernandes bought the name after group lotus left his deal with them at the end of last season.

i hope Team lLotus win the right to use the name as it is the original name of the Lotus team.

if that dont make any sense im really crap with words :lol:

Basically its just a Renault.

That hadn't gone without my notice too... Probably think they can get away with it if LRGP can.

It's blatant isn't it? How long has tobacco advertising been banned, and yet the Philip Morris group are still one of their biggest backers.

This.

It's last years Renault team re-branded.

It's confusing because there will be two teams running under a 'Lotus' name this season, Team Lotus (the Green, white & yellow one from last season) and Lotus Racing (last years Renault team in Black & gold). Craig or Bev might be able to correct me, but I think Team Lotus bought the naming rights from the Chapman family (heirs of Colin Chapman, the founder) & their business partners, whilst Renault bought the name from Proton who now own Lotus Cars (the road cars division).

This.

It's last years Renault team re-branded.

It's confusing because there will be two teams running under a 'Lotus' name this season, Team Lotus (the Green, white & yellow one from last season) and Lotus Racing (last years Renault team in Black & gold). Craig or Bev might be able to correct me, but I think Team Lotus bought the naming rights from the Chapman family (heirs of Colin Chapman, the founder) & their business partners, whilst Renault bought the name from Proton who now own Lotus Cars (the road cars division).

Yep spot on, well thats as I understand it. Of course The 'Chapman Lotus' is racing Lotus whereas the Proton Lotus name is the road car. So to me Team Lotus have more right to the name.

Almost right Dr K.

Fernandez (boss of last year's Lotus Racing, now Team Lotus) bought the naming rights from David Hunt (brother of James) who acquired the name when the old Team Lotus went bust. I think it has something to do with the old Pacific GP team who merged with Team Lotus at the end of 1994 and raced with the Lotus badge on the car until they themselves went bust at the end of 1995.

Proton own Group Lotus (i.e. Lotus road cars) which they bought when the company splintered in the mid 90s. They don't own, nor never have, the Team Lotus name however they signed a contract with Fernandez so his team could use the Lotus name (but importantly not the badge) on their cars in 2010. Proton have since got a new boss who has a stonk-on for motor racing and effectively said Lotus Racing is shit, we can associate ourselves with a much better team hence their association with Renault. At the same time as this happened, Fernandez bought the rights to the Team Lotus name which threw an iron in the works for their masterplan and therefore fabricated this whole bollocks that Lotus Racing had broken their contract in some way or another.

I hope to god Team Lotus prevails. They're a breath of fresh air to the sport and when you consider they clearly beat the other two 'new' teams last season despite having 3 months less to prepare, they're fully deserving of it. Bearing all this in mind and despite me loving the JPS colour scheme, I'd piss myself if they were forced to change it.

Just to add confusion to the matter, the engine in the back of the Team Lotus this season will be..... a Renault! :lol:

Just to add confusion to the matter, the engine in the back of the Team Lotus this season will be..... a Renault! :blush:

:icon_lol: They should be known as Renault-Lotus and Lotus-Renault then, surely no-one could find that confusing :D

As someone on Twitter wrote:

"We don't refer to Marlboro McLaren or Vodafone Mercedes so it'll simply be Renault".

;)

Just to add confusion to the matter, the engine in the back of the Team Lotus this season will be..... a Renault! :blush:

:icon_lol: They should be known as Renault-Lotus and Lotus-Renault then, surely no-one could find that confusing :D

As someone on Twitter wrote:

"We don't refer to Marlboro McLaren or Vodafone Mercedes so it'll simply be Renault".

;)

lol at me and the power of advertising -I do pretty much still think of McLaren as Marlboro McLaren.

So the one that looks like the old JPS Lotus isn't a JPS Lotus, but is a Renault, but is called a Lotus, and is better car than the heir to Lotus name which doesnt look like a JPS Lotus, but is Lotus green. Amarite?