The F1 2011 thread

Craig

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the ultimate race win, Button went from last to first, collided with his team mate and Alonso, 6 times in the pit's, 5 for tyres and once for a drive through, and still under investigation for the collision with Alonso post race, all that without mentioning the wet conditions and the 2 hour + break in the middle of it.

Come on then Rob, try knocking this race you boring cunt.

Mind you, if the stewards dare fucking penalise Jenson for the incident with Alonso we might as well give up on racing.

Lewis needs to calm the fuck down - too hot headed and has been for quite some time now. Remember Singapore, Korea etc. towards the end of 2010? Threw the championship away - yes he's the most out and out racer on the grid by quite some margin but he needs to kerb it a bit if he wants success.

Reminds me very much of Villeneuve and Senna for the raw racing attitude.

Brilliant race and an equally brilliant season so far. And that's with one man who's running away with it too! Whilst KERS and DRS are doing their bit, it's all down to the tyres for me. Unlike with Bridgestone who's attitude was to make them as durable as they could and increase the boredom, Pirelli have take the opposite approach and deliberately designed the performance to 'drop off the edge of a cliff'. Makes for way better racing.

Come on then Rob, try knocking this race you boring cunt.

Mind you, if the stewards dare fucking penalise Jenson for the incident with Alonso we might as well give up on racing.

Lewis needs to calm the fuck down - too hot headed and has been for quite some time now. Remember Singapore, Korea etc. towards the end of 2010? Threw the championship away - yes he's the most out and out racer on the grid by quite some margin but he needs to kerb it a bit if he wants success.

Reminds me very much of Villeneuve and Senna for the raw racing attitude.

Brilliant race and an equally brilliant season so far. And that's with one man who's running away with it too! Whilst KERS and DRS are doing their bit, it's all down to the tyres for me. Unlike with Bridgestone who's attitude was to make them as durable as they could and increase the boredom, Pirelli have take the opposite approach and deliberately designed the performance to 'drop off the edge of a cliff'. Makes for way better racing.

You beat me to it Craig ;) (though I wouldnt have used the 'C' word) ;)

F****** awesome race!! I was glued to the chair for nearly 5 hours!! I even enjoyed the 'break' being as I love watching the teams and what they get up to aswell! (Tea, cake and biccies)!

Apart from the last few laps my favourite part was when JB was on the podium and did Vettel's one fingered thingy :D I know it bugs him every race just as it annoys the hell out of me and he's remarked on it before.

I wasn't like some of you hoping MS got a podium, I really cannot stand the guy so I'm pleased MW got 3rd.

I have the GP update website open dreading they'll take a place off JB for the Alonso coming together :pray: They had better not else I'll go spare :(

With Lewis I wouldn't change a thing. He is very like Senna was in his early career. Sometimes his moves won't come off and sometimes they will, when they do we all say how brilliant he is. I don't want him to curb that passion or try and change him one bit. He is hot headed and never more so than when he thinks JB has an edge on him!

Perhaps Lewis should stay in North America and try his hand at NASCAR. Much more suitable for him the way he's been driving this year. Delighted for Jenson though, making the old six stop strategy work.

Seemed odd to have a Grand Prix, Le Mans, the British Moto GP and the Isle of Man TT all on the same weekend. Surely it would've made more sense to have one bike and one car event per weekend.

Apart from the last few laps my favourite part was when JB was on the podium and did Vettel's one fingered thingy :D I know it bugs him every race just as it annoys the hell out of me and he's remarked on it before.

I liked that too ;)

His team cheered when he did it too ;)

Martin Brundle and DC's commentary was great today too, they were as impatient as us to see the race restarted!

Perhaps Lewis should stay in North America and try his hand at NASCAR. Much more suitable for him the way he's been driving this year. Delighted for Jenson though, making the old six stop strategy work.

Seemed odd to have a Grand Prix, Le Mans, the British Moto GP and the Isle of Man TT all on the same weekend. Surely it would've made more sense to have one bike and one car event per weekend.

Have you seen the proposed F1 calendar for 2012? 21 races with many of them 7 days apart. No wonder we get crossover these days.

Back on the Lewis line I actually think he had a point in his post Monaco rant. If you remember Schumacher passed him into Loews hairpin and Lewis, seeing it coming gave him room. Not too further on the race Lewis passed Michael back into St Devote and this time it was Schumacher who saw it and gave him room.

The Massa incident (I'm talking about the race one - Lewis was being a dickhead moaning about the qually incident) was I think a tad unfair. Unfortunately they'd set a precedent by penalising Di Resta earlier but again I think this was unfair. In both incidents the drivers who were punished went for a gap which the person they were attacking should have seen and given room (Lewis had already shown they should know by giving Michael the room earlier). Instead they closed the door thus causing the accident and for good measure the other person gets the penalty.

They were racing incidents in my book and both should have gone unpunished. They're in the game of racing - not playing follow my leader. And don't get me started on the Maldanado incident later on. He had his mirrors full of Lewis so should have expected the move.

Some people argue that because Massa crashed shortly afterwards, Lewis was rightly punished. Massa crashed, not because of the contact at Loews but because when Lewis got a run on him out of Portier, Massa refused to yield and took to the marbles and dust on the outside of the tunnel. In 30 years of watching this sport I've not seen one driver on the outside of the tunnel with it not ending in tears (and the barrier).

Yes Lewis needs to calm down and get his head straight. But I do think he is getting somewhat of a raw deal. I also think all is not rosy in his relationship with McLaren either. I've said previously that I think he'll be there for the whole of his career, now I'm not so sure. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him pop up at either Ferrari or Red Bull.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him pop up at either Ferrari or Red Bull.

Presumably not before 2016, mind. Although I'd love to see those two at the same team again. ;)

BTW I'm fed up of rain affected races starting behind a safety car. This lot are supposed to the pinacle of driving talent - 10 years ago they didn't use a safety car to start a wet race in conditions far worse than we saw at the start of today's race.

Presumably not before 2016, mind. Although I'd love to see those two at the same team again. ;)

So would Alonso as well apparently. I've not read it myself but the equally nutty F1 fan at work says that Alonso has gone on record as saying the best team mate he's ever had is Lewis because he's the one who's pushed him the hardest and that he wishes 2007 had turned out differently.

Unlike Prost (with Senna) I don't think Alonso would be frightened to race alongside Lewis in the same team in the future. I actually think he'd relish it to prove people wrong.

I think Lewis IS getting a raw deal. Schumi for instance, seems to be able to push people off the track and get away with it ;)

Lewis has previously felt very confident and secure with McLaren. The way he handled all Alonso's mind games was admirable for someone so young at that time. But I think since Jenson joined the team there has been a slight shift, JB is a very special person and the team clearly think alot of him....I really think this has shaken Lewis a little. Plus he hasn't got his father there for support, it must have an effect on him.

Edited by Toonraider

Interesting. And I imagine Hamilton's driving style would appeal to the Ferrari hardcore.

To some, yes. But I think they got used to the F1 machine that was Schumacher. IMO I think Ferrari want Vettel but may settle for Webber or Hamilton.

Or banger racing. ;)

I agree that he's not as happy at Mclaren as he was at the start of his career, but I'd be very surprised (pleasantly) to see him land at Ferrari. Alonso loves having the whole team focused on him.

First of all Ferrari need to get rid of Massa, who sadly isn't deserving of a top drive anymore. If they are willing to replace him with an elite driver who takes joint number one status (and Alonso is happy with this) then maybe the door is open for Hamilton. It'd be more likely that they'd employ a young up-and-comer or a solid journeyman in my opinion though.

Last time I saw an interviewer broach the subject of them being team-mates again in the future Lewis was 'sure it could happen, why not?' Alonso blanked the question and refused to talk about it.

Or banger racing. ;)

I agree that he's not as happy at Mclaren as he was at the start of his career, but I'd be very surprised (pleasantly) to see him land at Ferrari. Alonso loves having the whole team focused on him.

First of all Ferrari need to get rid of Massa, who sadly isn't deserving of a top drive anymore. If they are willing to replace him with an elite driver who takes joint number one status (and Alonso is happy with this) then maybe the door is open for Hamilton. It'd be more likely that they'd employ a young up-and-comer or a solid journeyman in my opinion though.

Last time I saw an interviewer broach the subject of them being team-mates again in the future Lewis was 'sure it could happen, why not?' Alonso blanked the question and refused to talk about it.

Sounds about right. Our friend who worked at Arrows then Williams until recently, said there is no way Alonso would have Lewis as team mate again. But who knows?! time changes everything.