Worst film ever

Jusoda Kid

Not a Gilliam fan then?

I loved Holy Grail but it was more of a collaborative Python thing I suppose. I've not seen the Fisher King or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which I think I'll like but I'm loathe to get because Gilliam fans seem to prefer 12 Monkeys and Brazil.

He seems to think his imagination is so craazee, but Brazil was excrutiating. Middle class teenager comedy on a par with Hitchikers Guide to the galaxy and Red Dwarf.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never just took The Descent at face value or I would have been bored shitless like others. Good horror films are only occassionaly to be taken at face value. The Descent left many questions. Most importantly did the monsters exist and did she survive?

I only saw it once so the answers might become clear on a second viewing but I think a lot of people miss that the Descent in the title is nothing to do with caving (well a little) but with the descent into madness having suffered huge personal loss. Well, maybe not miss it, but don't consider it enough in terms of subtext.

The performances are underwhelming (sometimes funny) and there's some sublimely ridiculous points. Again, you get that in good horrors.

Edited by Happy Face

So, is the Descent good or not then? :lol:

66936[/snapback]

Get it out and judge for yourself, but imo I'd rather rub my balls with a cheese grater for a couple of hours then sit through that shit again.

Just out of interest how old are you Renton?

66950[/snapback]

I'm 35. What's that got to do with anything, hope you're not trying to patronise me. :lol:

For some reason you really hated the film, but more than one person on here disagree with your assessment. Furthermore, check out the reviews for it, I have yet to see a negative one. I'm not saying you should judge a film by what a film reviewer says, but it makes your opinion that it is the worst film ever sound a bit unlikely imo.

So, is the Descent good or not then? :lol:

66936[/snapback]

Get it out and judge for yourself, but imo I'd rather rub my balls with a cheese grater for a couple of hours then sit through that shit again.

Just out of interest how old are you Renton?

66950[/snapback]

I'm trying to figure out if that could be a euphemism for something even more sordid.

I loved Holy Grail but it was more of a collaborative Python thing I suppose.  I've not seen the Fisher King or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas which I think I'll like but I'm loathe to get because Gilliam fans seem to prefer 12 Monkeys and Brazil.

He seems to think his imagination is so craazee, but Brazil was excrutiating.  Middle class teenager comedy on a par with Hitchikers Guide to the galaxy and Red Dwarf.

66969[/snapback]

I wasn't much of a fan of the Fisher King but it's a long time since I saw it, didn't even know it was Gilliam until just now. I quite enjoyed Brazil but then I tend to watch a movie after a bit of a smoke and I'm not exactly Barry Norman at that point.

I really enjoyed 'Fear and Loathing' but obviously it's not a patch on the book. When you put Red Dwarf and Douglas Adams in the same category are you referring to the book or the recent and rather poor Hollywood translation? If it's the former I may have to put a pox on your very soul!

I really enjoyed 'Fear and Loathing' but obviously it's not a patch on the book.  When you put Red Dwarf and Douglas Adams in the same category are you referring to the book or the recent and rather poor Hollywood translation?  If it's the former I may have to put a pox on your very soul!

66990[/snapback]

I've only seen the first episode of the TV series. The whole idea of aliens with humorous names I find deeply unfunny.

I've only seen the first episode of the TV series.  The whole idea of aliens with humorous names I find deeply unfunny.

66994[/snapback]

I couldn't stand the tv series, and I've never heard the radio stuff, really enjoyed the first 3 books though, immensely. The last 2 were just a step too far. I'd recommend giving it a go, the book's as much about aliens as 'Gulliver's Travels' is about little people.

You mightn't like the story, acting, smaltz, Dicaprio or whatever but Titanic pushed film forward in terms of what's possible. The impossible swing around shot over the ocean round 180 degress has been mimicked by everyone.

Cameron has been doing this throughout his career with Terminator, The Abyss, T2 and will continue with his current production of Battle Angel.

Titanic is overblown and corny, but nowhere near worst film ever.

I'm 35. What's that got to do with anything, hope you're not trying to patronise me. :lol:

66976[/snapback]

I was hoping you were about 15 and then i could have understood your opinion on this butt plug of a film but now i just feel sorry for you

:lol:

66976[/snapback]

I was hoping you were about 15 and then i could have understood your opinion on this butt plug of a film but now i just feel sorry for you

67056[/snapback]

Wacky, did you consider the cave was her mind, that she was fighting insanity brought on by severe trauma, that the expedition never occured in reality, that she was fighting her own demons and it was her choice whether to survive or to wallow in it?

It was excellent.

You mightn't like the story, acting, smaltz, Dicaprio or whatever but Titanic pushed film forward in terms of what's possible.  The impossible swing around shot over the ocean round 180 degress has been mimicked by everyone.

Cameron has been doing this throughout his career with Terminator, The Abyss, T2 and will continue with his current production of Battle Angel.

Titanic is overblown and corny, but nowhere near worst film ever.

67053[/snapback]

That film was the definitive 'aimed at the masses' movie and they shouldn't have to (and don't) appreciate the technical side of the movie to enjoy it but by the same token plenty of people (mainly girlfriends and their suffering boyfriends?) enjoyed it and DiCaprio dies, so it can't be all bad!

If we're talking Cameron, Pearl Harbour was much worse.

66976[/snapback]

67056[/snapback]

Wacky, did you consider the cave was her mind, that she was fighting insanity brought on by severe trauma, that the expedition never occured in reality, that she was fighting her own demons and it was her choice whether to survive or to wallow in it?

It was excellent.

67057[/snapback]

You've been reading into to much mate, Mark Kermode eat your fucking heart out

I don't think Pearl Harbour was Cameron.

Anyway, you're all wrong. Revolver is by far and away the worst film ever. I know this despite not seeing most of the films mentioned in this thread, as I fail to see how Mr Madonna could have made it any worse.

I don't think Pearl Harbour was Cameron.

Anyway, you're all wrong. Revolver is by far and away the worst film ever. I know this despite not seeing most of the films mentioned in this thread, as I fail to see how Mr Madonna could have made it any worse.

67066[/snapback]

Snatch was utter crap too, to be fair. For some reason a lot of people seem to like it though.

What's wrong with Kermode? One of the only critics who knows what he's talking about and isn't a pretentious arse about it.

That book looks like it might be worth a look. Must email it as a present suggestion for Christmas.

HF - You've got to accept that most people aren't that into movies and as such it's possible to create a technical masterpiece which could be regarded by most as 'the worst movie ever made', and they wouldn't be wrong.

Buying books about how to read a movie is gayer than a dancing bloke tbh.

67077[/snapback]

This thread is now worse than the Descent - fact

Books on how to read a film - fuck off

67079[/snapback]

OK

I just wouldn't feel right slagging off stuff I know fuck all about though. :lol:

What's wrong with Kermode?  One of the only critics who knows what he's talking about and isn't a pretentious arse about it.

That book looks like it might be worth a look.  Must email it as a present suggestion for Christmas.

HF - You've got to accept that most people aren't that into movies and as such it's possible to create a technical masterpiece which could be regarded by most as 'the worst movie ever made', and they wouldn't be wrong.

67075[/snapback]

After the Exorcist Kermodes second favourite is Brazil, which I've already said I hated.

He says "The only thing I'm certain about is that The Exorcist is both my own favourite film and the definitive Best Film Ever Made." Who's he to say what's the definitve best film ever made. Just leave it at "my favourite".

I often agree with him though.

What's wrong with Kermode?  One of the only critics who knows what he's talking about and isn't a pretentious arse about it.

That book looks like it might be worth a look.  Must email it as a present suggestion for Christmas.

67075[/snapback]

After the Exorcist Kermodes second favourite is Brazil, which I've already said I hated.

He says "The only thing I'm certain about is that The Exorcist is both my own favourite film and the definitive Best Film Ever Made." Who's he to say what's the definitve best film ever made. Just leave it at "my favourite".

I often agree with him though.

67086[/snapback]

You wanna lend him that book of yours. :lol:

Yeah, agree that he shouldn't have put it like that, I hate it when anyone is that sure about anything, unless it's that people reading film books are homosexuals, that's beyond doubt. :lol:

Trying to bring things back on topic - myself and my brother watched a film one night that has to be a contender called 'Dead Innocent', I think the only thing that saves it is that we couldn't stop laughing it was so bad. The one problem with not having Sky Movies is never getting to see anything that bad any more.