raving

Dr Gloom

Used to do shindig all the time and rockshots every now and then. Stopped for a few years when the pill hangovers started lasting til a Wednesday and then I had the bairn. Was at shindig at legends on a Friday night about a year and a half ago which was a canny reminder of what used to be. Lately it seems that if I go out early afternoon on a Saturday I struggle to get much past one in the morning before I'm goosed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legends was shite.

Absolutely, and it was thought of as one of Newcastle's premier clubs.

Was just a few years too young to become immersed in the rave culture, didn't start doing cowies even till about 98, but some of my older mates used to say it was the best experiences of their lives. £25 a cowie the size of a flying saucer that was too big to have in one go. What was that rave venue called up by the Hancock Museum, early mid 90s/ used to do like early happy hard core, it's doing my head in thinking about it.

Just remembered what it was called. "Judgement Day".

Aye it was at the Uni, went to most of them beween 97-99 like. Good crack if you were into that sort of thing!

Pinched from elsewhere but this seems an appropriate place for it. :lol:

not a pretty sight! :icon_lol:

a room full of gurning idiot never looks that clever if you're not it yourself

That list to from the sublime to the ridiculous.

4 Hero were canny but their best track was the Minnie Ripperton cover Les Fleur, released much later. I absolutely love this track (not very ravey)

And a list with Phuture on that doesnt include Rise From Your Grave is a shame. Think i posted this in the music thread a month or so back (very ravey)

Aye, strange list like. I think it's been lifted from about 2 compilations tbh. Probably MoS/Cream. And aye Chez, I quite like 4Hero's early rave stuff but they did some nice jazzy d 'n' b / r&b stuff later on too. Jacob's Optical Stairway were similar. Funny how some of the older tunes, especially Acid House ones, seem really dated and some are still absolutely class and still sound fresh.

Went to just about anything between 95-98. Every Judgement Day, Rez, Plexus, etc. And amazingly never took any pills! Then started going to a D&B night at the uni, cant remember what it was called though, then moved to London where I've been a lot calmer. I did end up in some warehouse rave before xmas though and thoroughly enjoyed myself till the next morning when I felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

*Edit: D&B night was called Turbulence I think?

Edited by angrysteve

Raving anecdote no.13467

Rozalla played at Durham Uni student Union in 1992/3. Me and a lad called Dunny from South Shields DJ'ed for her and at the last minute, she asked me to announce her on stage and big her up etc so i got on the mic and got the crowd going. Think i may have been on pills. True story.

Rozalla :lol:

Was just talking to a mate the other day about losing our marbles at Tribal Gathering about '96-ish. Dave Angel (not the eco-warrior) being a highlight back when he was a class techno DJ. Kraftwerk were on too but I don't think I saw them.

Aye, strange list like. I think it's been lifted from about 2 compilations tbh. Probably MoS/Cream. And aye Chez, I quite like 4Hero's early rave stuff but they did some nice jazzy d 'n' b / r&b stuff later on too. Jacob's Optical Stairway were similar. Funny how some of the older tunes, especially Acid House ones, seem really dated and some are still absolutely class and still sound fresh.

It is odd though, even some of the dated sounds still work in a retro way. Was listening to Acid Thunder by Fast Eddie the other day and although the production has that dated sound, i reckon it still sounds fresh if you know what i mean.

Went to just about anything between 95-98. Every Judgement Day, Rez, Plexus, etc. And amazingly never took any pills! Then started going to a D&B night at the uni, cant remember what it was called though, then moved to London where I've been a lot calmer. I did end up in some warehouse rave before xmas though and thoroughly enjoyed myself till the next morning when I felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

You're the first person I've known (except myself and the then Mrs TS) who was at Plexus.

I was beginning to think I had dreamt them all.

It is odd though, even some of the dated sounds still work in a retro way. Was listening to Acid Thunder by Fast Eddie the other day and although the production has that dated sound, i reckon it still sounds fresh if you know what i mean.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'll tell you what I was listening to not long ago that took me back (from an old compilation) 2√231 - Anticapella. I'm basically a sucker for anything with that sort of piano riff on it though.

You're the first person I've known (except myself and the then Mrs TS) who was at Plexus.

I was beginning to think I had dreamt them all.

No it definitely happened! there were a few other similar things I can vaguely remember going to, Tsoma I think one of them was called and there was one at Northumbria Uni - think it may have only happened once and it was called Red Eye or something like that???

Rozalla :lol:

Was just talking to a mate the other day about losing our marbles at Tribal Gathering about '96-ish. Dave Angel (not the eco-warrior) being a highlight back when he was a class techno DJ. Kraftwerk were on too but I don't think I saw them.

I was at that one. Luton Hoo?

Back in the day before mobile phones, you all just lost eachother, went off on your own weekends and sooner or later caught up again.

It's probably better now tbf.