Shepherd - Owen signing the worst

Holden McGroin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the impression Bellamy was pretty poor at Coventry, albeit played in an attacking midfield role rather than as a striker.

There was a game where we beat them about 3-0 I think where he looked good but missed at least 3 or 4 really good chances - I think that's why people were a bit dismissive when the interest in him was revealed.

Am I right in thinking we were in for him 12 months previously when he was at Norwich but missed out on him and he went to Coventry instead?

yes, that is right. Bobby Robson wanted him badly, but the agent scuppered the deal .... can't remember the agent or the reason, but Bobby Robson hit the roof and said he would never do business with that agent again, and I can't remember the name of the agent either.

Was it over the transfer of Duncan Ferguson back to Everton, which fell through when we wanted the money to bring Bellamy here as a replacement ?

We paid £16million and we didn’t get £16million worth of value out of him.

Got £10million back off the FA though didn't you Fred?

£6m was worth a punt really.

It was £7 million I believe, helped to keep our losses that year to a mere £34mill