Owen

Ferguson

Luque

Cordone

Best

Lovenkrands

Kluivert

Cort

Makes you glad we got to see the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Bellamy play at St James.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad luck more than a bad signing. If he'd played 150 games he'd have got 70/80 goals.

Don't know how ya work that one out he played pretty much 50% of that number and got nowhere near 40goals

feck sake took him 8 years at liverpool at his peak to get <120 goals.

Over rated, always was always will be,

#of times 20goals+ in the league = 0

#of times 30goals+ in all comp = 0

Scored 30 goals in 65 appearances for us. On that stat I'm prepared to agree with Chez.

I think he made his career as a poor mans Gary Lineker

Not tremendously well known but FFS tried to persuade Lineker to postpone his retirement and join us from Grampus 8 in the summer of 1994. Failed to do so but it'd have had us in a position where we'd have had Beardsley and Lineker in the same side. Not sure what the intention was with Andy Cole like...

Tbf to him he wasn't really a striker and made lots of sub appearances so those stats would be misleading anyway. I'm pretty sure they're wrong in any case though, I'm put money on him having scored more than 8 goals for us. Prehaps he scored 8 league in his time here. He wasn't a great player but he scored some important goals and Dalglish never seemed to give him a fair crack of the whip despite signing him. I think that perhaps he is harshly judged by some because he arrived at a time when the likes of Ferdinand and Ginola were peddled by us, i.e. we'd been spoilt.

I thought he was shite personally, and maybe we were spoilt but we could have done better imo. Scored a mint goal against Tottenham on a Bank Holiday I remember though.

His managerial record is astonishing to be fair to him however. 124 games as manager 9 defeats, and none in 10 with a pishy country like Georgia.

I never thought Ketsbaia was a striker though? More of an attacking mid perhaps?

Definitely a midfielder but Dalglish being Dalglish played him in a sort of Nolan type role on occasion.

He was a trier but not that good imo.

Agreed, I wasn't championing him as a great player as I said, just didn't really think listing him amongst our worst strikers in recent(-ish) years made much sense.

Agreed, I wasn't championing him as a great player as I said, just didn't really think listing him amongst our worst strikers in recent(-ish) years made much sense.

Certainly better than Robinson or Dalglish who I don't think were included.

We have a horrendous record with Strikers tbf

Just off the top of my head:

Tommason

Guivarch

Maric

Ketsbaia

Best

Owen

Ferguson

Luque

Cordone

Best

Lovenkrands

Kluivert

Cort

Makes you glad we got to see the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Bellamy play at St James.

Some of those were very well received at the time. Owen is being discussed and is obviously among them. Some people thought Paul Dalglish was OK, and quite a lot of people were more than happy with Ketsbaia. Tomasson went on to play for AC Milan and personally I think if he had played alongside Shearer rather than the ambling waste of space Asprilla who just got on with his own game spending half the time on a different planet, his career here would have gone competely different to what it did.

But Ferguson, you are joking right ? He was one of the best strikers in the premiership ?

Assume he's on about how he was rarely fit. Agree about JDT as well.

aye, when people do these sort of threads, do they mean they base it on how people performed at Newcastle only. Or the basis on which they were signed ?

I despise Asprilla actually. Apart from Barcelona, obviously, and handful of other games, he is everything I hate in professional footballers especially those who have ability and waste it. Uninterested, going through the motions, flash harrys, poor professionalism.....having crowd appeal and playing well one game in about 10 just isn't good enough for me. I know people differ, but for me, if they don't actually perform I have no time for them.

I always thought that a young lad like Tomasson, obviously a quiet sort of lad, in a foreign country, at about 19 or 20 years old, playing for a new club in a different league, needed his more experienced strike partner to help him, assist him, give him some leadership, but I watched Asprilla and he just got on with his own game and never bothered with the kid. Disgraceful to be honest. I was really surprised that Dalglish kept him at the club as long as he did and didn't replace him although in the end he brought in Gui'varch who must be the most punchless striker ever to have won a World Cup medal, it would seem France did that with a 10 man team.

aye, when people do these sort of threads, do they mean they base it on how people performed at Newcastle only. Or the basis on which they were signed ?

I despise Asprilla actually. Apart from Barcelona, obviously, and handful of other games, he is everything I hate in professional footballers especially those who have ability and waste it. Uninterested, going through the motions, flash harrys, poor professionalism.....having crowd appeal and playing well one game in about 10 just isn't good enough for me. I know people differ, but for me, if they don't actually perform I have no time for them.

I always thought that a young lad like Tomasson, obviously a quiet sort of lad, in a foreign country, at about 19 or 20 years old, playing for a new club in a different league, needed his more experienced strike partner to help him, assist him, give him some leadership, but I watched Asprilla and he just got on with his own game and never bothered with the kid. Disgraceful to be honest. I was really surprised that Dalglish kept him at the club as long as he did and didn't replace him although in the end he brought in Gui'varch who must be the most punchless striker ever to have won a World Cup medal, it would seem France did that with a 10 man team.

I know Pedro had a lot of time for Asprilla which suggests (to me at least) that he wasn't just going through the motions. And tbf to him neither him or JDT were exacty suited to playing alongside each other. Asprilla wasn't suited to the PL anyway though imo, especially as it was back then. No coincidence he looked much more comfortable in Europe.

I know Pedro had a lot of time for Asprilla which suggests (to me at least) that he wasn't just going through the motions. And tbf to him neither him or JDT were exacty suited to playing alongside each other. Asprilla wasn't suited to the PL anyway though imo, especially as it was back then. No coincidence he looked much more comfortable in Europe.

Fair point. Beardsley though - he might be a good bloke, I don't know I've never met him, but he has never said anything even slightly detrimental about anybody, ever. He even took the side of Mike Ashley against his long time ex team mate and manager Keegan [at both club and international level]. If I was Keegan I would have taken great exception to that. He seems like a bit of a teachers pet and a yes man to me.

Fair point. Beardsley though - he might be a good bloke, I don't know I've never met him, but he has never said anything even slightly detrimental about anybody, ever. He even took the side of Mike Ashley against his long time ex team mate and manager Keegan [at both club and international level]. If I was Keegan I would have taken great exception to that. He seems like a bit of a teachers pet and a yes man to me.

I agree about the last bit and he's gone down in my estimations for that like although this was a bit of ITK from the time, i.e. when they were both here as players. In any case I'd certainly go along with you in that Tino was pretty crap for us domestically, the odd moment of genius aside.

Firstly it quite clearly states that those were off the top of my head, I didn't claim it was an exhaustive list. Secondly, its nee use saying tomasson went on to be good or Ferguson used to be good before he came to us. Fact is all of those names seriously underperformed at our club and they collectively cost a fortune. Some people on here must have wonky memories. Ketsbaia played as a striker and he was pony.

Thinking back didn't Ketsbaia get Ginola's squad number? Which probably symbolised the way the team was going under Dalglish.

Edited by alex