Shepherd - Owen signing the worst

Holden McGroin

Firstly it quite clearly states that those were off the top of my head, I didn't claim it was an exhaustive list. Secondly, its nee use saying tomasson went on to be good or Ferguson used to be good before he came to us. Fact is all of those names seriously underperformed at our club and they collectively cost a fortune. Some people on here must have wonky memories. Ketsbaia played as a striker and he was pony.

Probably the first time I've said this to you, and more than likely the last. That's spot on pal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly it quite clearly states that those were off the top of my head, I didn't claim it was an exhaustive list. Secondly, its nee use saying tomasson went on to be good or Ferguson used to be good before he came to us. Fact is all of those names seriously underperformed at our club and they collectively cost a fortune. Some people on here must have wonky memories. Ketsbaia played as a striker and he was pony.

aye, but I also said that I wondered if such lists were based on how players perform at Newcastle or the basis on which they were signed.

Which works both way. Some players when signed by Newcastle aren't exactly greeted with much enthusiasm and go on to be top signings ie Bellamy and Robert to name 2, also Rob Lee, Scott Sellars, Sibierski - there are lots.

Not getting at you mate, but Tomasson, Ferguson and Owen could all have done much better under different circumstances. Thats all.

What about James Perch, is he underperforming <_<

We have a horrendous record with Strikers tbf

Just off the top of my head:

Tommason

Guivarch

Maric

Ketsbaia

Best

Owen

Ferguson

Luque

Cordone

Best

Lovenkrands

Kluivert

[b]Cort[/b]

Makes you glad we got to see the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Bellamy play at St James.

Some of those were very well received at the time. Owen is being discussed and is obviously among them. Some people thought Paul Dalglish was OK, and quite a lot of people were more than happy with Ketsbaia. Tomasson went on to play for AC Milan and personally I think if he had played alongside Shearer rather than the ambling waste of space Asprilla who just got on with his own game spending half the time on a different planet, his career here would have gone competely different to what it did.

But Ferguson, you are joking right ? He was one of the best strikers in the premiership ?

Those marked in bold in particular. And Cort was a top emerging talent at the time, certainly the pick of the crop at Wimbledon. I was just as excited at his signing, as the case when we signed Bellamy. Both were top performers amidst very average playing lists. In relation to raw ability & productivity levels, both were standouts. Cort is often very harshly judged, as a 'shit signing', to beat up the previous regime/Shepherd etc. Injuries curtailed his career here, and post NUFC as well. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

In fact Cort [going by the current transfer policy] is the sort of signing expected from the current regime ie. young talent brought in, to be improved, before being moved on for a profit.

Edited by Year Zero

I got the impression Bellamy was pretty poor at Coventry, albeit played in an attacking midfield role rather than as a striker.

I got the impression Bellamy was pretty poor at Coventry, albeit played in an attacking midfield role rather than as a striker.

There was a game where we beat them about 3-0 I think where he looked good but missed at least 3 or 4 really good chances - I think that's why people were a bit dismissive when the interest in him was revealed.

As I recall from links posted on N-O at the time, the Coventry fans were cock a hoop they got 6m for him ("stupid Geordies, can you buy my car etc). They thought they'd sold us a duffer. As it turns out Strachan was playing him out of position (as you say).

I wonder how they feel about it now.

There was a game where we beat them about 3-0 I think where he looked good but missed at least 3 or 4 really good chances - I think that's why people were a bit dismissive when the interest in him was revealed.

Could've been typical fan bitterness but the Coventry lot didn't seem too bothered to see him go and thought they'd ripped us off a bit iirc. Anyway, great signing as it turned out, obviously.

We have a horrendous record with Strikers tbf

Just off the top of my head:

Tommason

Guivarch

Maric

Ketsbaia

Best

Owen

Ferguson

Luque

Cordone

Best

Lovenkrands

Kluivert

[b]Cort[/b]

Makes you glad we got to see the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Bellamy play at St James.

Some of those were very well received at the time. Owen is being discussed and is obviously among them. Some people thought Paul Dalglish was OK, and quite a lot of people were more than happy with Ketsbaia. Tomasson went on to play for AC Milan and personally I think if he had played alongside Shearer rather than the ambling waste of space Asprilla who just got on with his own game spending half the time on a different planet, his career here would have gone competely different to what it did.

But Ferguson, you are joking right ? He was one of the best strikers in the premiership ?

Those marked in bold in particular. And Cort was a top emerging talent at the time, certainly the pick of the crop at Wimbledon. I was just as excited at his signing, as the case when we signed Bellamy. Both were top performers amidst very average playing lists. In relation to raw ability & productivity levels, both were standouts. Cort is often very harshly judged, as a 'shit signing', to beat up the previous regime/Shepherd etc. Injuries curtailed his career here, and post NUFC as well. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

In fact Cort [going by the current transfer policy] is the sort of signing expected from the current regime ie. young talent brought in, to be improved, before being moved on for a profit.

I agree but decided not to say it. All of those players were bought with a certain standard in mind that was being aimed for.

All clubs make signings that don't work out. Everybody does.

As I recall from links posted on N-O at the time, the Coventry fans were cock a hoop they got 6m for him ("stupid Geordies, can you buy my car etc). They thought they'd sold us a duffer. As it turns out Strachan was playing him out of position (as you say).

I was over the moon when we signed Craig Bellamy, I always thought he was a top player when he played through the middle, he played alongside Hartson [i think] for Coventry a few times, but when he played against us, he played wide left, clearly out of position, and got the bird. This was a time when Gordon Strachan was perceived to be a promising up and coming manager though. <_<

I was over the moon when we signed Craig Bellamy, I always thought he was a top player when he played through the middle, he played alongside Hartson [i think] for Coventry a few times, but when he played against us, he played wide left, clearly out of position, and got the bird. This was a time when Gordon Strachan was perceived to be a promising up and coming manager though. <_<

He played wide more than he played through the middle for Coventry. He was actually hated by their fans.

He played wide more than he played through the middle for Coventry. He was actually hated by their fans.

I know.

Could've been typical fan bitterness but the Coventry lot didn't seem too bothered to see him go and thought they'd ripped us off a bit iirc. Anyway, great signing as it turned out, obviously.

Old Coventry-fan colleague of mine got me an Arsenal mug for a secret santa (i think we got pummelled by them a couple of weeks before). The next xmas, we'd signed Bellamy off them so i got a photo of him from the club shop. Got someone to sign it with a personal message, which made it funnier. What then made it even funnier still, is when i found out he had had it framed as he thought the signature was real.

mate of mine gave up his season ticket — that he’d had for 20 odd years — when we signed Bellamy as he reckoned that he was totaly shite. I tried to tell him Bellamy was pacey and had great movement but he just kept going in a hissy fit every time he was mentioned.

Didn’t take long for him to see the error of his ways though, and has never lived it down since.

SBR did buy some shite players though.

Am I right in thinking we were in for him 12 months previously when he was at Norwich but missed out on him and he went to Coventry instead?

He was Robbie Keanes replacement and by all accounts didn't play well or fill his boots.

I liked him at Norwich though.

He'd have had a job replacing Robbie Keane like. Keane never played for Coventry.

He was Robbie Keanes replacement and by all accounts didn't play well or fill his boots.

He'd have had a job replacing Robbie Keane like. Keane never played for Coventry.

Did 1999-2000

Aye, my bad... memory of that one completely passed me by. Thought he'd gone from Wolves to Inter.

Same here, but had a faint recollection of him in a coventry top, so checked it

Was a player I wanted us to go for when he was at Wolves. And then when Leeds was going pears too.

Dont question the McGroin knowledge ! <_<