Strangest Problem

Inglez

Only started about a week ago but whenever I go to any search engine, type something in and hit enter, my web browser crashes. Ive tried with IE, Chrome and Firefox all producing the same results. It also happens if i go onto google for about more than 3 seconds. :lol:

...Any ideas?

EDIT: And obviously I cant even Google my own problem :D

Edited by Inglez

Sign up at http://spywarehammer.com, post a brief run down of your problems, and they'll sort it.

yep they are good.

For curiosity and future reference, I keep a backup of downloaded utils like malwarebytes, avast etc, but when someone gets a blue screen etc how do you go about fixing it ? Can you boot it up in safe mode and run these programmes from safe mode ? And if not, what do you do, how do you get on the web [other than going to the library or using another PC at work or a mates house for guidance ?

FFS did a full scan, found 2 trojans which I thought may have been the problem but nada :lol:

Download and scan with Super Anti-spyware and Hitman Pro.

I run MSE, Avast and those two plus do occassional scan with Malwarebytes (I've only ever had one problem and that was a webpage hijacker, Malware/Avast etc didn't find it, the two I mention above sorted the bassa though).

Considering going all in and pay for "Kaspersky" though I think.

Edited by Toonpack

FFS did a full scan, found 2 trojans which I thought may have been the problem but nada :lol:

I run MSE, Avast and those two plus do occassional scan with Malwarebytes (I've only ever had one problem and that was a webpage hijacker, Malware/Avast etc didn't find it, the two I mention above sorted the bassa though).

ref MSE and Avast, isn't it bad to have two anti-virus elements ? I used to use Avast and Spyware doctor, but was told to bin spyware doctor because the AV could clash with Avast, so now I'm using Avast, Windows Firewall, running malwarebytes once a week, and using a program called Win Patrol which scans for things attempting to change or access types of files.

Sort of interested in MSE is why I ask ?

ref MSE and Avast, isn't it bad to have two anti-virus elements ? I used to use Avast and Spyware doctor, but was told to bin spyware doctor because the AV could clash with Avast, so now I'm using Avast, Windows Firewall, running malwarebytes once a week, and using a program called Win Patrol which scans for things attempting to change or access types of files.

I run them both on a XP machine, no conflict at all that I've come across, both will scan when I want them to etc. (my Win7 netbook waasn't so happy)

Edit - I would add, I didn't set out to run this config of AV, just happened when I was adding/working through new weapons to throw at the hijacker.

Regarding MSE, I got my one and only "incident" shortly after moving one of my machines (running XP) to MSE from Zone Alarm, (which was very good, but awfully CPU intensive).

Only considering Kaspersky because the Infrastructrue "egghead" (and he really is an egghead) recommended it. The techy lads who work with MS software all the time wouldn't touch a microsoft AV with a bargepole :-)

Edited by Toonpack

I run them both on a XP machine, no conflict at all that I've come across, both will scan when I want them to etc. (my Win7 netbook waasn't so happy)

Edit - I would add, I didn't set out to run this config of AV, just happened when I was adding/working through new weapons to throw at the hijacker.

Regarding MSE, I got my one and only "incident" shortly after moving one of my machines (running XP) to MSE from Zone Alarm, (which was very good, but awfully CPU intensive).

Only considering Kaspersky because the Infrastructrue "egghead" (and he really is an egghead) recommended it. The techy lads who work with MS software all the time wouldn't touch a microsoft AV with a bargepole :-)

my new setup was following advice on spywarehammer about a month ago when I got some sort of adaware/trojan, as it turned out.

The site recommends MSE, if you look at their standard guidances and top recommendations, but the lad who helped me through the prob I had says my new setup should be fine, I've also switched from using IE to google chrome

When i'm trying to start programs such as MalwareBytes or System Restore without safe mode I get the following error:

"The dependancy service or group failed to start"

I get this for most programs, I think I know my laptop is on its last legs but could someone google or diagnose the following problem?