What Mirror Readers think we should do in the summer.

The Fish

I Know What We Should Do This Summer: How Newcastle fans would improve the Toon

By Mirror Football in Mirror Football Blog

Published 17:22 06/06/11

Recommend

This Summer - Newcastle

We asked MirrorFootball readers to tell us how they would improve their clubs during the close-season. We've been delighted with your responses, full of informed opinion and creative thinking. Here are the entries published so far:

Here is the next of your responses, with three Newcastle fans sharing who they would swoop for and what they would change to improve the Magpies fortunes...

THE THREE KEY AREAS FOR MY CLUB TO IMPROVE IN ARE...

Alex Ferguson: Ditch the 'Selling club tag' - How can a club progress when your best players are being sold off to rivals, albeit at ludicrous prices?

Creativity - On the pitch, the team has a distinct lack of creativity. Kevin Nolan and Cheik Tiote, the club's first choice central midfield partnership, had a grand total of three assists between them last season.

Squad depth - The team has done well when everyone has been fit, with wins over Arsenal and Liverpool and creditable draws with Man Utd and Chelsea. This shows their ability to compete with the best. The bench though, needs drastic improvement.

Lee Coleman: 1. Attack 2. Midfield 3. Encourage youth development

Matthew Briggs: Up front Newcastle are threadbare and have been for a while now. Andy Carroll's form disguised it but his departure means that we must bring in a striker or three.

At the back we need to address the gulf in class between Fabricio Coloccini and the other centre backs.

Off-the-pitch communication between club and fans is awful, as can be seen by the closure of the much-loved singing section. Supporters have mellowed dramatically towards the board so there's now no reason why the wall of silence should remain.

WHO WE NEED TO SACK AND/OR SELL THIS SUMMER

Alex Ferguson: Sell expensive deadwood like James Perch, Alan Smith, Wayne Routledge, Peter Lovenkrands and the lesser-spotted Xisco. None are Premier League quality yet all are on lucrative contracts, especially Smith whose contribution will not be forgotten but the signing of the phenomenal Cheik Tiote last year has rendered the former Leeds man obsolete. As for sacking someone, Mike Ashley would be first on the list if it were possible but as it's not, his right hand man and PR gaffe-master Derek Llambias would be a good start.

Lee Coleman: Our current Newcastle squad is wafer-thin and you only have to look at the injuries to big players at key parts of last season to see it really hampered us in the latter stages. I personally think we have the makings of a very good side and so I don't think it's a case of selling people this Summer, but rather building on what we already have.

Matthew Briggs: Prudence is the name of the game at St James' Park nowadays so getting rid of the high earners is a must. Sol Campbell and Alan Smith were two of the biggest drains on finances and while the former was released, getting rid of Smith may be more difficult. On a less permanent basis loaning a few of the kids out to gain first team experience is also needed. Tamas Kadar, Kazenga Lua Lua, Sammy Ameobi and Nile Ranger should all be spending a few months in the Championship next season.

WHO WE NEED TO BUY/HIRE THIS SUMMER

Alex Ferguson: Two strikers, a pacy winger, a creative midfielder, a right back and probably a left back as Jose Enrique looks odds on to leave. I trust the current scouting team to buy well but if it were up to me I'd try for Malaga's Salomon Rondon, Lille's Gervinho, PSV's Jeremain Lens, Stephen Ireland from Villa and Alan Hutton from Spurs. As for a left back, Stephen Warnock would be a sturdy replacement for Enrique. I definitely don't want to see Liverpool flop Paul Konchesky coming the other way in some sub-standard player plus cash offer for the Spaniard however.

Lee Coleman: Daniel Sturridge, Charlie Adam and Adam Johnson. Unlike previous Newcastle sides, this one has a steely togetherness and it's obvious they all play for each other. Whoever comes in has to buy into that team spirit, otherwise they won't last long. There is plenty of bite in our midfield, but unfortunately very little creativity, and that is where I would look to strengthen. Andy Carroll's departure has exposed our lack of a Plan B and so a creative midfielder, a pacey winger and top class centre forward would be the three areas I would invest the Carroll money.

Matthew Briggs: Shane Long fits our policy of investing in youth plus any transfer wouldn't completely drain the coffers of the Andy Carroll fee. Cheik Tiote's compatriot Gervinho would offer us some much needed versatility up front but could be pricey. A deal for Ashley Williams would also be affordable and offer much needed competition to Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor. We also need to tie down Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan and if possible Jose Enrique. The latter may look like he's on his way out but offer him the money he is worth and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

HOW I'D IMPROVE THE MANAGER/COACHING STAFF

Alex Ferguson: Quite simply, I wouldn't. The manager could probably be improved but not by staying within Mike Ashley's rigorous pay-structure so it's not worth debating. Unlike a few Newcastle fans, I'm willing to give Pardew a chance and have been quietly impressed by the way the silver fox has gone about his business since being controversially appointed in December. He and his coaching staff seem to be doing a good job, making us tougher to beat. Our academy is finally starting to produce some promising players so the future isn't looking all that bad at Gallowgate

Lee Coleman: Given the circumstances surrounding his appointment, I actually think Pardew's done a good job in building on what Chris Hughton started. However, Newcastle play a counter-attacking style and so I would put a greater emphasis on keeping the ball and dictating play. Pardew is very methodical in his approach but our team picks itself at times, so it will be interesting to see how well he does in the transfer market, as ultimately that is where he will be judged.

Matthew Briggs: Alan Pardew's five-year contract and friendship with Derek Llambias makes him virtually untouchable, so there's little chance we'll see a new face in the dugout next season. He hasn't done too badly anyway. The best thing the club can do to enhance the chances of Pardew and his backroom staff being successful is by backing him, not just in the transfer market but elsewhere too. The early signs are positive, with the club announcing plans to install undersoil heating at the training ground at Pardew's insistence. No more snow days at Darsley Park.

HOW I'D IMPROVE OUR DEFENCE

Alex Ferguson: Unfortunately it looks like the fantastic Jose Enrique will be departing for pastures new so a new left back will be required. Toulouse's Cheikh M'Bengue has been linked, as has Wolves George Elokobi but the fans are praying Enrique will stay. Newcastle's right back position is the weakest link in an otherwise sturdy back four. Danny Simpson would provide good backup but a stronger right back has to be a priority. The out-of-favour Alan Hutton from Spurs would be an affordable option, even though he recently donned the red and white shirt of 'them lot' from down the road.

Lee Coleman: Our defence has vastly improved, none more so than first season flops Fabriccio Coloccini and Jose Enrique. Both are now strong, quick and can read the game which is essential in the Premier League. The two areas I would look to improve would be leadership and organisation. Steven Taylor is a shouter but I'm not convinced he commands his area well, nor would I say he's good at organising. If we are to improve, then leadership and communication across the entire back four is needed. Simpson in particular is often found wanting.

Matthew Briggs: We're spoilt for choice in goal, with two exciting young keepers in Tim Krul and Fraser Forster showing signs of genuine class so no worries there. The back four isn't as solid as it could be though. While Fabricio Coloccini now looks at ease in England, Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor are still inconsistent and injury prone. I'd like to see a class centre back come in to partner Coloccini as we've got the makings of a very strong backline. Competition in both full back positions is also required as depth in those areas is a worry.

HOW I'D IMPROVE OUR MIDFIELD

Alex Ferguson: Two words - pace and creativity. Newcastle desperately lack both in midfield and although the return of Hatem Ben Arfa from injury should help to add more of both to the side, further recruits are needed. Perma-crocked ex-loanee Stephen Ireland could return permanently to add some creativity if the price is right and he can prove his fitness. Elsewhere, competition is required for the flanks where the duo of Gutierrez and Barton both lack pace and in the Argentine's case, an end product. Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia and PSV Eindhoven's Jeremain Lens have been linked and both are viable options.

Lee Coleman: Creativity and pace are two areas where our midfield lacks a cutting edge. Players like Chiek Tiote and Kevin Nolan both have great engines, but one is a ball winner and the other a ball finisher so we are in desperate need of a playmaker in the middle with an eye for that killer pass. This Newcastle side also relies heavily on the wide men, and two key attributes of wide men are pace and crossing ability. A player like Adam Johnson at Man City is exactly what Newcastle fans are crying out for.

Matthew Briggs: Joey Barton's performances on the right have earned him plaudits from all corners but at heart he's a centre midfielder. An out-and-out right winger would give us penetration from both flanks as well as through the middle, something we've lacked despite Kevin Nolan's goals. Hopefully the return of Hatem Ben Arfa will help us solve that problem. Cheik Tiote is going to pick up suspensions due to the job he does so a ready-made back up when he does need to sit on the side lines would be very handy too, Wigan's Mohamed Diame being my first choice.

HOW I'D IMPROVE OUR ATTACK

Alex Ferguson: Goalscorers are badly needed at St James Park after Carroll's acrimonious departure in January. Malaga's young Venezuelan striker Salomon Rondon looks a fantastic player with everything in his locker. But his £20million buyout clause could be a stumbling block. Head scout Graham Carr has been scouring France, Belgium and Holland for potential recruits so the likes of Kevin Gameiro, Gervinho and Moussa Sow have all been linked with NUFC but also, unfortunately, with bigger clubs. Elsewhere, bargains could be had at relegated clubs with Demba Ba, DJ Campbell, Hugo Rodallega and Kevin Doyle all possibly available on the cheap.

Lee Coleman: We tend to attack teams on the break, so ideally I'd be looking to spend the Carroll transfer money on a pacy centre forward. Daniel Sturridge is showing all the signs that he could be a top class Premier League centre forward, he's big, powerful, quick and has an eye for goal, sadly all the things that we don't have. I'm a big fan of the little and large approach, and so I'd try and get the best out of Shola Ameobi by telling him to bully defenders by dragging them across the line to create space.

Matthew Briggs: Without a doubt our problem area. There's little depth or class up front and the only solution is for Mike Ashley to open his wallet. Our efforts to fill the gaping holes in our forward line seem to be concentrated on the continent, particularly France and Holland. Any two of Ricky van Wolfswinkel, Kolbeinn Sigarsson, Kevin Gamiero, Moussa Sow and Gervinho would be a huge step up from the Shola-Leon-Peter triumvirate we currently have. Closer to home Shane Long and Connor Wickham would be equally as exciting but the competition is sure to be stiffer.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/bl...l#ixzz1OWK3rNN0

Nice of Alex Ferguson to chime in.

Shame he seems to know fuck all...

especially Smith whose contribution will not be forgotten

not a bad read that for the mirror

Is that because 70% is contributed by someone who doesn't work for the Mirror?

" Prudence is the name of the game at St James' Park nowadays so getting rid of the high earners is a must. "

fuck me. Skunkers-type crap.

" Prudence is the name of the game at St James' Park nowadays so getting rid of the high earners is a must. "

I take it Platini and UEFA must post on Skunkers then, given that reducing wages (and the money dissappearing out of the game) is what their new rules are about.

I take it Platini and UEFA must post on Skunkers then, given that reducing wages (and the money dissappearing out of the game) is what their new rules are about.

and they all predicted this 6 years ago :rolleyes:

As I said. Skunkers type crap.

So the Financial Fair Play rules are "Skunkers type crap" then ??

:D

Edited by Toonpack

oh dear. Read the post properly.

oh dear. Read the post properly.

You rarely make sense, I doubt a second reading would help.