Laptops and Dongles

LeazesMag

friend of mine wants to buy a laptop, but has no phone line and doesn't want one. They also only want minimum use of it, ie internet, so would like the cheapest but decent connections possible.

I am using a BT Hub with a hard cable to a desktop PC so don't really know about this, what sort of dongle do they need, and how does it work and who should they take out a deal with ?

The problem with the dongle deals is that they're all capped and chances are this bloke will exceed the cap if it's for home use. Even a man like you, a man who doesn't spend his entire life on here would exceed the cap.

The problem with the dongle deals is that they're all capped and chances are this bloke will exceed the cap if it's for home use. Even a man like you, a man who doesn't spend his entire life on here would exceed the cap.

mine is capped :D

Anyway, she only wants limited usage, whether or not she will end up liking it and post on here, I wouldn't think so :D

Edited by LeazesMag

Whoa, it's a she! Pics?

Seriously though, I would look carefully at how much browsing she plans on doing. Also if it's just home use, just check who has the best 3g coverage where she lives.

Whoa, it's a she! Pics?

Seriously though, I would look carefully at how much browsing she plans on doing. Also if it's just home use, just check who has the best 3g coverage where she lives.

no pics, sorry :D She might go onto facebook though..

Anyway, its only for home use, and don't know about 3g coverage, she just wants to use it and not spend money for what she doesn't use. I don't know where to start here.

You can get 3g dongles off Amazon from all the providers - I think three seem to be the best - you can get ones forabout £70 qhich have a few gig which can then be topped up but I have no feel for how long that would last based on style of useage.

You can get 3g dongles off Amazon from all the providers - I think three seem to be the best - you can get ones forabout £70 qhich have a few gig which can then be topped up but I have no feel for how long that would last based on style of useage.

70 quid !!!!

I use a PAYG O2 dongle which costs £2 per 24 hours upto a max of 500Mb I think, so far whenever Ive been away Ive not managed to go over the usage limit. As Ewerk said though, thats £60 compared to £18 for a phone line and connection.

Ask her to check with her mobile provider. Most offer the dongle free and a discounted monthly rate.

Orange are £5 a month (for 500MB). link

Three are £8 a month (for 1GB). link

Not sure if they still run it, but Orange used to do a 5p per MB PAYG tariff.