Linux

CleeToonFan

Been dual booting for a little while now (Prefer Linux for general computing but well, there's some things you just NEED Windows for), and only used Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu but I dunno, i've heard there's better ones out there and wanna try some different distros. I've heard good stuff about Fedora and just wondered if anyone was using it/any other distros that they thought were better than Ubuntu?

Depends on what you're after tbh and how your skill level is (ie if you have just been using Ubuntu but don't really understand how things work behind the scenes with the kernel/libs/init.d /etc *snigger geek joke*,

I started using it & BSD about 12 years ago (not so much in the last while) but when things were an awful lot less friendly.

I opted for Slakware as my distro (which normally got me some stick for being awkward) of choice, far from the easiest to use, for me though the reasoning was it forced you to learn about the OS rather than just using debs/rpms to install your apps and fix things when it went wrong, as it didn't really have a package management system.

You actually had to redo the kernel/compile it yourself if you wanted an upgrade, or fight to sort out missing libs for why something wouldn't compile from source for you etcetc, and when something fucked up you were a bit more up shit creek trying to fix it.

Fedora (redhat) or Ubuntu(Debian) would be much of a muchness i'd have thought, with Ubuntu being the better supported with it being based of debian, those sorts of distros tend to be more bloated because they try to cover all bases so the end user doesn't have problems when he installs them.

If you actually fancy a change without dropping yourself in at the deepend with having no real help package wise and such, might wanna try just going for debian, that way you still get APT to help you out.

Aye yeah, i'm in no way on the same scale as you! I'm not totally computer illiterate mind, sort of in the middle. I was gonna go with Debian, but I really want to try out to GNOME 3, so I think i'm gonna go with Fedora, especially now I know just how customizable GNOME 3 is.

After using Linux for only a short amount of time I already wonder how on earth Windows gets such a large share of the market, Mac OS and Linux's are both far better than Windows IMO

i had a fiddle with linux a couple of years ago - being a complete idiot i found ubuntu the best.

but theres loads different distros and live cds you can download so you can try before you install.

i found that i just preferred windows

• 1 year later...

The appeal of ubuntu was that it seems to be the one that you can install and uninstall and dual boot to really easily. So I might try that first to see if I can wrap my head around it.

Looks like there's some really cheap guides you can get for kindle as well (less than a quid) for total beginners.

Am I wasting my time with this? Do you need to be able to program code to be able to use the operating system or can normal people use it too? I just fancied trying it too see how much quicker it was and whether I'm missing out on something amazing.

if you look like this then yes you do need to be able to program code to use linux

computer-geek.gif

If not then you can get by as a normal user. The only thing you might find a bit alien is installing stuff that isn't in available in the software manager as you may need to load it via terminal - which is not much harder than the old days of loading a zx spectrum game from the command line.

Aye one of the e-books I've got my eye on its a beginners guide to terminal. I must admit, when I had a blast on it this morning and it immediately wouldn't recognise my wireless card,I thought about just knocking it in the head, but I think I've found a solution to that (by typing gobbledygook into terminal).

All will be revealed tonight.

Sorry to disagree on that. I have set a few old fogies up with linux (the aforementioned distro) after their windows got ballsed and they had no backup or owt. It does what they want and they say it runs faster and never gives them anywhere near as much trouble as windows did. Too many people seem to think that you should only use linux if you want to have a stripped down os and do everything the hard way. It actually can be a much nicer and faster os than windows and still suit the general web surfer / open office user.

I wiped all of my windows laptops and put linux on just for general use. Much better, no problems.