Perhaps we need another quality CD in Jan rather than a striker.

Park Life

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think we need a forward. Its a must. I still dont rate Best but have been impressed with Ba. Need to see how Santon fits in but while we are "getting by" with our current back four (despite some woeful shows from the flanks) we have zero options. We are fucked if we are hit with any real injuries and thats the reason I see our position falling away over time (plus when we play the "big guns").

I think we are a striker, a CB, a right winger and a full back away from top 5 or 6. At the minute we are somewhere between 7th and 10th. To move from 7th to 6th is a massive jump but from 6th to 4th is currently very doable.

A CB is needed for depth but will do no more than solidify us in that 7th to 10th (ish) tranche.

I think we are a striker, a CB, a right winger and a full back away from top 5 or 6. At the minute we are somewhere between 7th and 10th. To move from 7th to 6th is a massive jump but from 6th to 4th is currently very doable.

A CB is needed for depth but will do no more than solidify us in that 7th to 10th (ish) tranche.

I'd take that atm like. I do agree with you though. A right winger of Gutierrez' quality would improve us a hell of a lot.

I still think we need a forward. Its a must. I still dont rate Best but have been impressed with Ba. Need to see how Santon fits in but while we are "getting by" with our current back four (despite some woeful shows from the flanks) we have zero options. We are fucked if we are hit with any real injuries and thats the reason I see our position falling away over time (plus when we play the "big guns").

Watching Collo the last few games he's half our defence basically. If he misses a handful of games we're gonna be in bother.

Still in two minds about what we need.

Santon being able to play both full back positions is a massive bonus. He can play RM as well apparently.

The other probs with the striker argument is that it is very hard to get anyone good in Jan (for the money I imagine they want to spend).

My (what I believe isn't asking for too much) hope is:

Centre back - Samba (Blackburn)

Striker - (decent loan signing).

Back four then = Santon to play RB and Ferguson can come in LB for me because Guti cover/workrate down that flank is a big factor.

I realise Samba is Blackburbn captain/recently signed a new deal/could go to a 'better' club etc etc etc, but injuries aside, I just don't see the January window as being where the top teams will be tinkering with their defences and looking for a new CB linchpin. That with an imaginitive loan signing up front would be a very strong starting 11 for me. That assumes no key departures of course, which is far, far from guaranteed.

Mentioned Samba before as I think he'd be brilliant alongside Coloccini but he'd be too expensive compared to what we're willing to pay in terms of both transfer and wages imo.

Watching Collo the last few games he's half our defence basically. If he misses a handful of games we're gonna be in bother.

Still in two minds about what we need.

Santon being able to play both full back positions is a massive bonus. He can play RM as well apparently.

The other probs with the striker argument is that it is very hard to get anyone good in Jan (for the money I imagine they want to spend).

Colo is the best CB we've had since...I don't even know. Woodgate was excellent for us but couldn't play three games in a row without getting injured. Philippe Albert, well those kind of CBs don't exist anymore :)

Would be great to get someone like Erik Pieters in Jan. Ideally a striker as well but I won't hold my breath.

Another top centreback would be great but Best and Shola are still shit and with Ba going to be away then we still desperately need a striker. Both fullbacks look incredibly weak at the moment so we need either a leftback or a rightback (depending on where we want to play Santon).

I have a big concern about Tiote being away in January too as we have no one to cover him while he's not there.

Mentioned Samba before as I think he'd be brilliant alongside Coloccini but he'd be too expensive compared to what we're willing to pay in terms of both transfer and wages imo.

I've honestly no idea re:wages, though I'd be inclined to agree on transfer fee as they'd want big money. All I'd say if I was trying to get blood out of a stone (ie Ashley) is it'd be the only chance we had to get him because I don't think the top four will be in for him in that window.

Just wishing out loud really of course, but I honestly think those couple of additions could have a big impact while still being generally consistent with a cautious build, knowing Pardew'll never have big money to spend.

Another top centreback would be great but Best and Shola are still shit and with Ba going to be away then we still desperately need a striker. Both fullbacks look incredibly weak at the moment so we need either a leftback or a rightback (depending on where we want to play Santon).

I have a big concern about Tiote being away in January too as we have no one to cover him while he's not there.

Forgot about Tiote.

We need to organise some mystery injuries a la Fergy in Jan. :jonas:

I've honestly no idea re:wages, though I'd be inclined to agree on transfer fee as they'd want big money. All I'd say if I was trying to get blood out of a stone (ie Ashley) is it'd be the only chance we had to get him because I don't think the top four will be in for him in that window.

Just wishing out loud really of course, but I honestly think those couple of additions could have a big impact while still being generally consistent with a cautious build, knowing Pardew'll never have big money to spend.

What's happenned with Kadar anyway is he totally shit now or what?

Well he's out of contract at the end of the season so I'm guessing he's not in the plans as he hasn't even been on the bench afaik. Also, he would've been (you'd have thought) a natural one to try out at LB pre-season given Enrique's future being in doubt etc. I'm guessing he's a goner.

Well he's out of contract at the end of the season so I'm guessing he's not in the plans as he hasn't even been on the bench afaik. Also, he would've been (you'd have thought) a natural one to try out at LB pre-season given Enrique's future being in doubt etc. I'm guessing he's a goner.

Aye, he's firmly in the 'if he's good enough he's old enough' category now as he's 21. He doesn't represent an argument against buying new either (eg 'give Kadar a chance') as he's not making the squad as you say. The only thing that might mean he stays put is his supposed utility LB/CB, but really you should be able to say that about most CB's when push comes to shove.

One player who showed real promise here I think is Patrick van Aanholt (currently on loan at Wigan). But no chance in hell, I guess.

Good point. He looked good and confident those few games.

The worrying thing about Ba is that everytime I see him get a tackle put in against him, I worry he will pick up a knock and misses games. He will be away to the African Nations and even looking beyond that to the Pre-season, we got to rememeber he will be doing Ramadan and he wont be as sharp as he would usually be.

A few would argue that Best and Shola would be good enough to last until he came back however we really do need another threatening striker in the shape of a really lightening quick and agile player. This would add a new threat in our attack and a great option from the bench.

In terms of a centre back, Samba is a good shout however at 27, would he just fit in to our blue print and no more. I would be more fearful for how much he would cost, etc.

My dream January - Eric Peters and Agbonlahor. Both fit in to the blue print. However I think Gabby would be a bit a pie in the sky target!