Alan Oliver

Bombadil

Oliver's (aka the club mouthpiece) match report makes for some interesting reading - he is unusually critical of Souness. Maybe that's Fat Fred's way of putting Souness under pressure...you can always hope!

No joke as Reds take the Michael Dec 27 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

The Liverpool fans taunted Michael Owen at Anfield yesterday, singing : "You should have joined a real club."

And after watching Newcastle United's spineless and gutless performance, it's hard to argue with that.

It's a long time since I saw United so outclassed at Liverpool and, worst of all, they have now become a laughing stock.

For the Liverpool supporters cheered and applauded when Titus Bramble went on as a 28th-minute substitute for the luckless Steven Taylor and then mocked the central defender throughout the game.

But all credit to Bramble - he demonstrated plenty of character and got on and did his job better than most in a black-and-white shirt.

Graeme Souness did not wear a black-and-white shirt but he has got to share responsibility, for he is the manager of a team which seems to be going precisely nowhere.

And this after being handed £50m by Freddy Shepherd in the past 15 months.

United will probably beat Charlton Athletic at St James' Park tomorrow and I suppose everything in the garden will be rosy again.

Or will it?

It was almost as though United knew they were going to lose at Liverpool yesterday - well, they usually do.

For what it's worth, why did Souness play Lee Bowyer? He was unlucky to be sent off, but this is a player who wants to be away. In Lee Clark, Souness has a Geordie boy who, while nearing the end of his career, still wears the black-and-white shirt with pride and passion.

Yet how many United players can say yesterday they wore their shirt with pride and passion? Where was the fighting spirit United found to beat Arsenal?

It wasn't only these qualities United lacked. They also lacked direction and they did not appear to have any sort of tactical plan.

The United defence made the much-maligned Peter Crouch appear like a cross between the great Alfredo Di Stefano and Wyn "the leap" Davies.

United's midfield was a joke and the less said about it the better. And the look on Owen's face said it all as he never had a sniff of a chance of all afternoon on his first return to Anfield.

Alan Shearer did have one chance only for Jean Alain Boumsong to get in the way.

At the other end, Liverpool could have had a hatful. The reason they didn't was over-confidence and over-elaboration. And Shay Given.

How many times this season - and we are not half-way through until tomorrow - has Given saved United from further embarrassment and humiliation?

Liverpool could and should have run up a cricket score, and while the final scoreline flattered United this is of no consolation to the Toon Army.

As I left Anfield, Kenny Dalglish shouted at me "Are you still alive?"

Yes, Kenny. More alive than Newcastle United were yesterday.

VERDICT: United have lost with honour at Anfield in the past. Yesterday they lost with dishonour.

He can piss off with the Lee Clark shit. Sentimental bollocks, Clark is absolutely dreadful.

Got to laugh at Dalglish though.

Edited by Sima

As was alluded to in the original post, there's more to this than meets the eye.

Yes, it can be argued that anal is just echoing Souness' words about us not deserving anything from the game, but when he comments on going nowhere following £50m investment it tells a whole lot more.

Souness is close to the edge imo.

Its not the first one either. There was a similar, albeit slightly less scathing, after the Wigan game. Will see if I can find it.

Found them:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Just little snipes and tame compared to todays one from Oliver.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

Aye - I can see FFS doing his "who will rid me of this troublesome Scot" routine

If I was Souness I would stay clear of St James Cathedral

Edited by Rob W

Souness was already talking before the game about us needing some luck, blah blah blah. The man has instilled a defeatist attitude among the players, he's done this by rolling out feeble excuse after feeble excuse for every shit performance and result since the day he arrived. There is nothing positive about him at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Owen leaves at the earliest opportunity. Anybody like to have a stab at where we might be in the current league table had the get out of jail card not been signed for £17m?

Souness has turned us into shite and if this article by Oliver is an indication that FS might be about to get rid of the twat then I'm happier today than I was this time yesterday.

Edited by Howaythelads

Think this mornings Journal had a couple of digs as well. Along the lines of "gambling on fitness" and "risk backfiring" regarding the decision to play Taylor. Also saw Taylor quoted somewhere as saying he knew from the first minute his shoulder wasn't right and he shouldn't be on the pitch.

Aye - I can see FFS doing his "who will rid me of this troublesome Scot" routine

If I was Souness I would stay clear of St James Cathedral

71627[/snapback]

:D

Let's just hope three Toon Knights overheard him!

71738[/snapback]

Am I right or did the original three knights get off in the Beckett case? Probaly got off with an ASBO I guess

Oliver is really sharpening his pencil against Souness !

Under Fire

Dec 30 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Graeme Souness has found himself under fire from all sides as he prepares to take Newcastle United to White Hart Lane to take on Spurs tomorrow.

A furious West Ham boss Alan Pardew has blasted Souness for his comments after United's win at Upton Park a week past Saturday, saying the Newcastle manager's words filled him with "hate".

United legend Malcolm Macdonald has chipped in, accusing Souness of "not understanding" the Toon Army.

"Perhaps it would not hurt if, like myself, Bob Moncur, Peter Beardsley and the rest, he went out among the real fans and listened to what they had to say rather than rely on the yes men around him," he writes in his exclusive column in the Chronicle tomorrow.

"However, the current Newcastle backroom staff seem oblivious to it all. They seem to think 50,000 Geordies who pay every other week have no right to have their say."

SuperMac's former colleague Terry McDermott said on national radio the local media were "negative" in the way they report events from St James' Park.

Indeed, Souness has not spoken to this newspaper since our criticism of the Carling Cup debacle at Wigan and he has changed his mobile phone number, only making it available to a few friendly journalists.

This has prompted a poll on the influential United website True Faith in which 87 % of those who voted say Souness is wrong to be incommunicado with the Chronicle.

"Souness is bang out of order in blanking the main paper which supporters read to get information regarding the club," said True Faith editor Michael Martin, who writes a fortnightly column for the Chronicle.

And an editorial on the website www.true-faith.co.uk concludes: "Stop whingeing about the bloke at the paper and win some football matches."

But it is Pardew's outburst which will worry Souness the most and it is something that the FA will be keeping an eye on.

The Hammers boss accused Souness of "talking nonsense" after Newcastle's 4-2 win at Upton Park.

"The one thing I hate about other managers is waffle that is nowhere near the truth. I would never conduct myself like that," Pardew said.

England striker Michael Owen scored a hat-trick in Newcastle's win, but Pardew said: "My honest assessment of the Newcastle game is that we were great and, but for a few errors that were clinically punished by Michael Owen, we would have won with a bit to spare.

"Standing on the side watching our team outplay and out-manoeuvre Newcastle, and listening to the comments coming from their bench and the frustration of how the game was unfolding, it was ironic to hear Graeme Souness say afterwards that our two centre-halves were scared.

"I thought that was complete nonsense. He should have known better than to criticise players on the opposite team.

"We will make sure we remember that when we play them again."

The best thing for Souness to do would be to make peace with Pardew and end the matter immediately, and it would not surprise me if this is what the United chairman, Freddy Shepherd, instructed his manager to do.

the bloke from toon faith is spot on about his whinging. If we were winning games then people wouldnt be complaining. I think Souness is looking for any excuse to blame for the teams appalling performances. Im still hoping for a result today