Virgin Stadium?

dbsweeney

NEWCASTLE United could face Manchester United tonight with a new sponsor emblazoned across their shirts, it is understood.

The club’s kit sponsor Northern Rock may be replaced with the Virgin Money logo after a late deal was brokered between the team and the company.

If that happens it will mark the end of Northern Rock's eight-year relationship with the St James’ Park outfit.

A statement is expected to be released later this afternoon confirming a sponsorship deal between NUFC and Virgin Money.

It comes after Gosforth-based Northern Rock was sold to Richard Branson’s Virgin empire in a £747m deal in November – which included 75 branches and 2,100 staff, one million customers, a £14bn mortgage book and retail deposits worth £16bn

The buy-out secured jobs in the region after it was revealed they were protected from compulsory redundancies for the next three years.

Newcastle United’s latest sponsorship deal is believed to have been secured after Virgin Money’s chief executive visited the region yesterday.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another weird twist.

Not that I expect we'd see the money, but if this did happen does it at least mean the people who say that "everything about the club is a vehicle for the sports direct brand, it'll be the shirt next etc etc (ps and always has been since day one") will have to admit they were just chatting shit and in actual fact nobody knows the first thing about whats going on.

Stadium rights seem like the logical next step. I wonder, are Branson's people smart enough to realise to positive PR they could garner from not renaming the stadium?

Virgin Money chief exec: “St James’ is part of the heritage of Newcastle, so for me it should be called St James’ Park.” 20/11/11

Stadium rights seem like the logical next step. I wonder, are Branson's people smart enough to realise to positive PR they could garner from not renaming the stadium?

Virgin Money chief exec: “St James’ is part of the heritage of Newcastle, so for me it should be called St James’ Park.” 20/11/11

Or perhaps that just translates as "fat Mike was asking too much for the stadium naming rights, so we'll leave that one, ta". :lol:

Yet another weird twist.

Not that I expect we'd see the money, but if this did happen does it at least mean the people who say that "everything about the club is a vehicle for the sports direct brand, it'll be the shirt next etc etc (ps and always has been since day one") will have to admit they were just chatting shit and in actual fact nobody knows the first thing about whats going on.

When I read this I thought it confirmed my thoughts on the shirt, that it would not get Sports Direct on there, but looking back at my posts on the topic it seems I did some CT style covering of the bases...

8. I'd be interested to know how many NUFC shirts are sold locally and how many are sold worldwide. I still can't decide if it's financially astute to put the Sports Direct name on the shirt.
My initial thought was it would be a financial decision, so it wouldn't happen, as local sales would crash
, but I think that move would be excellent for his international interests with Sports Direct...so it will happen, whatever the cost to NUFC.

Still confidently predicting we'll not see anything but "Sports Direct" on the roof though.

Edited by Happy Face

Smart lad. But what would you expect from a massive company highly involved in nurturing a positive public image. Dekka could learn a thing or two. St. James' Park but close.

:pray:

Yet another weird twist.

When I read this I thought it confirmed my thoughts on the shirt, that it would not get Sports Direct on there, but looking back at my posts on the topic it seems I did some CT style covering of the bases...

8. I'd be interested to know how many NUFC shirts are sold locally and how many are sold worldwide. I still can't decide if it's financially astute to put the
Sports
Direct
name on the shirt.
My initial thought was it would be a financial decision, so it wouldn't happen, as local sales would crash
, but I think that move would be excellent for his international interests with
Sports
Direct
...so it will happen, whatever the cost to NUFC.

Still confidently predicting we'll not see anything but "Sports Direct" on the roof though.

I wasn't aiming that at you personally in any way, just to be clear. I was expecting to see 'sports direct' there myself on balance, purely on the basis that nobody would touch us. My point is about people who claim that this was Ashley's plan from day one and it was always clear to them that this was the case, because they're clairvoyant about things like that and everyone else is fucking stupid for not seeing it coming. Cobblers. He'll use the club as a 'vehicle for Sports Direct' if it suits him or he'll sell the rights to a sponsor if they offer more. It's whatever he can get the most coin for (personally) because he knows it has a value. If it was solely a SD thing though (as frequently claimed) sponsorship/rights wouldn't be available to anyone else at any price. It's either a masterplan or it's not.