The "Did you know?" Thread

catmag

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The modern day, western image of Christ is believed by some to be derived from Cesare Borgia who was the second son of Pope Alexander VI.

124497[/snapback]

Used to wear number 99 tbh

124501[/snapback]

Shot 9 times, played in goal for Algeria.

I'll field this one you mongs!

Orange is an autonym. As in the noun orange (the citrus fruit)

Bow down you mongs tbh.

124486[/snapback]

Sammy, we sorted this out pages ago man! :lol:

124489[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

Arise you mongs.

124494[/snapback]

I still reckon I've got this one nailed by the way. The adjective of the same word describes the noun! I don't see any of yous beating that.

The modern day, western image of Christ is believed by some to be derived from Cesare Borgia who was the second son of Pope Alexander VI.

124497[/snapback]

124501[/snapback]

Plays for 'boro and won two CL titles?

Okay, so who can give me an example of a contranym? :lol:

124507[/snapback]

Jesus wept, I've just looked up the definition and I'm having a very hard time thinking of one, other than the example given. It does kind of explain a stupid Dublin expression I remember growing up though.

124497[/snapback]

124501[/snapback]

124508[/snapback]

Whats that pope doing having kids anyway? I thought popes were only allowed to bash their bishops?

I still reckon I've got this one nailed by the way. The adjective of the same word describes the noun! I don't see any of yous beating that.

124510[/snapback]

For it to be an autonym the adjective would need to describe the adjective or the noun would need to describe the noun (the word, not the object, Gemmill!).

124497[/snapback]

I learned that from a hip hop track.. along with life aint nothing but money and bitches

124497[/snapback]

I learned that from a hip hop track.. along with life aint nothing but money and bitches

124523[/snapback]

:lol: Word.

Okay, so who can give me an example of a contranym? :lol:

124507[/snapback]

clip

fast

buckle

124517[/snapback]

Drusy-Gold-Star-1a.gif

Gems, it's a word that has more than one meaning, and those meanings are contradictory to each other:

Eg: 'Fast' can mean quick or it can mean stuck. 'Buckle' can mean to fasten together or to fall apart.

124497[/snapback]

124501[/snapback]

124508[/snapback]

Whats that pope doing having kids anyway? I thought popes were only allowed to bash their bishops?

124520[/snapback]

Illegitimate son I believe. Very common in days gone by for Popes to have loads of mistresses.

124497[/snapback]

124523[/snapback]

Rumbled :lol: It's from B.I.B.L.E. by GZA/Genius. It's true though, I shit you not.

124497[/snapback]

124501[/snapback]

124508[/snapback]

124520[/snapback]

Illegitimate son I believe. Very common in days gone by for Popes to have loads of mistresses.

124527[/snapback]

Wasn't one of the medieval popes a woman, who gave birth whilst on a procession, and was swiftly executed?

124497[/snapback]

124501[/snapback]

124508[/snapback]

124520[/snapback]

124527[/snapback]

Wasn't one of the medieval popes a woman, who gave birth whilst on a procession, and was swiftly executed?

124532[/snapback]

Was that not a Monthy Python film? :lol:

124497[/snapback]

124523[/snapback]

Rumbled :lol: It's from B.I.B.L.E. by GZA/Genius. It's true though, I shit you not.

124530[/snapback]

:blush:

couldn't for the life of me remember which track it was

124497[/snapback]

124523[/snapback]

124530[/snapback]

:blush:

couldn't for the life of me remember which track it was

124534[/snapback]

There was a question about him on 'The Eggheads' the other day.