The "Did you know?" Thread

catmag

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No a pub quiz many moons ago.

It ain't true, Jan baby.

Its a theory that appears in a number of articles and books sweetheart.

I know that, Treacle.

Berwick is still at war with Germany or something like that.

Was Russia, but a Soviet official visited there in the 60's as a peace exercise iirc :lol:

Urban myth anyway, Shirley?

Aye, it was just in the peace signing they didn't say "and Berwick-upon-Tweed" whilst they did in the declaration of war. But since it was a part of England it wasn't needed anyway

I thought the base of the pyramids were square :unsure2:

I should have said perimeter of the base or something <_<

I'm still at a loss tbh.

So the perimeter/circumference of the pyramids multiplied by the time it takes for the earth to revolve/orbit the earth is equal to the circunfence/diameter of the earth?

Genuinely interested and flummoxed btw, not feuding as people seem to think we do.

Genghis Khan did that much shaggin, 1 in every 40 people alive today are said to have a blood link to him.

I doubt most of the women/men/animals had much of a say in the matter.

Genghis Khan did that much shaggin, 1 in every 40 people alive today are said to have a blood link to him.

Think I annoy people watching "Who Do You Think You Are?" cos whenever it's on I rage against the people that feel a "special bond" and cry over whichever ancestor they found from 200 years back.

They go back 10 generations. If every generation in between had just 3 offspring (and they had much more back in the day day) then there's 60,000 offspring around the world that have a bond.

I thought the base of the pyramids were square :unsure2:

I should have said perimeter of the base or something <_<

I'm still at a loss tbh.

So the perimeter/circumference of the pyramids multiplied by the time it takes for the earth to revolve/orbit the earth is equal to the circunfence/diameter of the earth?

Genuinely interested and flummoxed btw, not feuding as people seem to think we do.

It might be the circumference of the circle that fits exactly inside the square base of the pyramid and the ratio is not measured in miles/yards/kilometres/metres but through the units of measurement used by the constructors of the pyramid. FYI - the earth is about 25,000 miles round and the earth returns to the same spot on its rotational axis every 25,000 years (axial precession). The maths is a bit convoluted and complicated since its in different bases to modern measurements hence you can say they are connected by the mathematics of astronomy.

I know that, Treacle.

It doesn't make it wrong hotlips

Wiki says it's wrong so it must be.

Yes its factual content is up there with the News of the World.

I know that, Treacle.

It doesn't make it wrong hotlips

Wiki says it's wrong so it must be.

Yes its factual content is up there with the News of the World.

I know, it claims Oceania isn't a continent.

It might be the circumference of the circle that fits exactly inside the square base of the pyramid and the ratio is not measured in miles/yards/kilometres/metres but through the units of measurement used by the constructors of the pyramid. FYI - the earth is about 25,000 miles round and the earth returns to the same spot on its rotational axis every 25,000 years (axial precession). The maths is a bit convoluted and complicated since its in different bases to modern measurements hence you can say they are connected by the mathematics of astronomy.

You're a bit sketchy on this tbh, Chez. Is this accepted within the majoity of the academic community or is it from the sort of book Parky would recommend?

Edited by alex

If you need any help with the quote function, just give me a shout, Jan.

Are you propositioning me?? :razz:

I was kidding, Jan.

I have no intention of helping you.

Think I annoy people watching "Who Do You Think You Are?" cos whenever it's on I rage against the people that feel a "special bond" and cry over whichever ancestor they found from 200 years back.

They go back 10 generations. If every generation in between had just 3 offspring (and they had much more back in the day day) then there's 60,000 offspring around the world that have a bond.

Aye but you can't just dismiss it like that, I mean Paul fuckin Wyn isn't going to have a blood link to 1 in 40 people in 500 years time is he?

It's only about 4000 generations or something since we came out of Africa and all the non-Africans are thought to be related to a small group that entered the Arabia peninsula about 100,000 years ago (I might be slightly out with the dates, etc).

You're a bit sketchy on this tbh, Chez. Is this accepted within the majoity of the academic community or is it from the sort of book Parky would recommend?

Because i cant remember the specifics and am not sure the ratio is 1:25,000 and its obviously not measured the same way we measure stuff as the ancient Egyptians werent subject to EU directives on the use of the metric system. Yes i am sketchy on the details but the academic community (which one btw) probably dismisses mathematical relationships as chance. Especially when you need to convert into another measuring system to see it. I was thorougly baked convinced at the time.

Because i cant remember the specifics and am not sure the ratio is 1:25,000 and its obviously not measured the same way we measure stuff as the ancient Egyptians werent subject to EU directives on the use of the metric system. Yes i am sketchy on the details but the academic community (which one btw) probably dismisses mathematical relationships as chance. Especially when you need to convert into another measuring system to see it. I was thorougly baked convinced at the time.

It's a fascinating subject like. I guess we'll never know the secrets behind it. I only say that because I remember seeing that programme which suggested the Pyramids at Giza represented the Belt of Orion. Although it's been torn to shreds by established Egyptologists. Not that that means it's wrong, of course.