Which players who we have sold would get in our team now??

PUGATRON1000

Enrique, Milner. People keep saying barton on the right? where would milner go? surely not over cabaye/tiote. wouldn't bring barton back when you have barfa, marveaux and gabby as cover but also because i hate him with a passion and fail to understand why so many newcastle fans still love him? regardless of BS loyalities etc he's just a terrible person to have in a dressing room for a manager and also for teamates. Faye or Bassong as cover for taylor and also Martins! in over best/Shola.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a perfectly valid thread imo. If Leazes is 'baited' that's his look out. Anyway, he loves it man.

The thread's valid, it's the motive I doubt.

then answer the thread not the "motive" and prevent discussion on it in the first place

Not interested in the thread subject tbh. And the discussion will happen regardless of anything I say.

it would be good if we still had milner, barton, enrique, carroll and n'zogbia.

not sure which of them would get into the side and which would start. it'd be good competition in the squad though, something we're lacking at the moment.

Not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Yeah I'm serious. He'd improve the squad wouldn't he?

Not interested in the thread subject tbh. And the discussion will happen regardless of anything I say.

Well what are you doing in it in the first place then? Other than moaning about something that isn't happening and making it all the more likely to do so in the process?

Fucking hell no wonder it "keeps happening" if everyone's expecting it to all the time. Self fulfilling message board.

it would be good if we still had milner, barton, enrique, carroll and n'zogbia.

not sure which of them would get into the side and which would start. it'd be good competition in the squad though, something we're lacking at the moment.

Not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Yeah I'm serious. He'd improve the squad wouldn't he?

Don't reckon so if were counting attitude but ability wise I'm with you there.

GK - Krul RB - Simpson CB - Taylor CB - Coloccini LB - Enrique RM - Ben Arfa CM - Tiote CM - Cabaye LM - Gutierrez ST - Ba ST - Cisse
Milner in for Ben Arfa, haha Selling club indeed

Which is the point of the thread of course, let's bait Leazesmag again. Tedious stuff.

NO, the point is of the players that have been sold nearly all wouldn't get in our first 11.

Well what are you doing in it in the first place then? Other than moaning about something that isn't happening and making it all the more likely to do so in the process?

Fucking hell no wonder it "keeps happening" if everyone's expecting it to all the time. Self fulfilling message board.

I have to read the thread to see if I'm interested in it. I would have thought that was obvious, even to someone as angry as you.

And I stand by what I said. Look at the OP, who posted it, the subject matter, and who's been perpetuating the "debate" with Leazes.

Beye went dogshit.

While here? He was 3 times the RB Simpson will ever

be. No doubt.

Milner would walk in.

Carroll would play more than best, ameobi or Lovenkrands who have a hefty number of appearances.

Kieron Dyer in his prime would improve the team.

Bassong would get in over Williamson deffo, if not Taylor.

Duff v Guttierez is close too....as is Given v Krul.

Enrique, deffo.

For the first 11 : Enrique & Milner

For the squad : Bellamy, Nolan, Parker, Given, Carroll

The likes of Jenas, Dyer, Bassong, N'Zogbia, Faye have gone nowhere with their careers.

Not many have left and gone on to great success.

The likes of Jenas, Dyer, Bassong, N'Zogbia, Faye have gone nowhere with their careers.

So the idea is to compare players in their prime with those either retired or close to it? Apples and oranges in that case.

Beye went dogshit.

be. No doubt.

Milner would walk in.

Carroll would play more than best, ameobi or Lovenkrands who have a hefty number of appearances.

Enrique, deffo.

In terms of what players they are now tbh. ie I think you're judging Milner in the 'here and now' - and he would indeed walk in now because he's a top peformer. But at the time he left he wasn't any great shakes as far as I'm concerned. Looked very decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

Beye went dogshit.

be. No doubt.

Milner would walk in.

Enrique, deffo.

In terms of what players they are now tbh. ie I think you're judging Milner in the 'here and now' - and he would indeed walk in now because he's a top peformer. But at the time he left he wasn't any great shakes as far as I'm concerned. Looked very decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

Always been twice the player Obertan is.

So the idea is to compare players in their prime with those either retired or close to it? Apples and oranges in that case.

That on the other hand is a fair comment, but then the counterpoint to that is the players sold represent numerous seasons worth of 'talent' from numerous different permutations of starting 11, and you're only comparing that with one instant 11. So apples and oranges too really (or unrealistic in any event). But then that's how the question was put so it's not a criticism.

I'm going off players as try are now. I must have misread the thread.

I think it's fair to take into account their trajectory/development after they left the toon, as it's the only solid evidence available. HF's point about taking it to extremes is valid imo (ie if they're now near retirement), however in some cases, of the players released that's one of the reasons they're not retained (ie Nolan wanting a long contract which would have taken him to the door of retirement).

The question's straightforward in one sense but it can throw up some slightly unrealistic debates.

You definitely need to take where they are now into account. Its something Arsene Wegner has been known for, he sells his best players when he thinks they're going to start declining.

Im not saying Mike Ashley has done that because he hasnt, but i dont know how anyone could now say we shouldnt of sold Carroll, Nolan or Barton.

They have all failed to some degree at the club they are at now.

Guest CabayeAye

You definitely need to take where they are now into account. Its something Arsene Wegner has been known for, he sells his best players when he thinks they're going to start declining.

Im not saying Mike Ashley has done that because he hasnt, but i dont know how anyone could now say we shouldnt of sold Carroll, Nolan or Barton.

Given

Beye

Bassong

Bramble

Enrique

Milner

Barton

Nolan

Nzogbia

Carroll

Duff

All players (except Bramble) who were considered to be good for us who are now largely shite. The only players there I'd have back are Milner and Enrique. The others are largely finished as good players.

Its all about where the player is now, if a player leaves after his last decent season then this is excellent transfer work so it's not sensible to judge on where they were.

The mistakes are therefore clearer and you don't need to worry about players like Beye who are now finished.

I think it's perfectly right in cases where you're looking at a player who's been sold in the last few years and a bit silly when you're looking at players who were sold ages ago who weren't exactly in the first flushes of youth at the time. Unless you employ some sort of adjustment. But as I say, theres an inherent unrealness in comparing one team to the combined talents of maybe six or seven different previous starting 11's.

For me, if less than half of the first team is made up of players sold from that expansive a period of history it probably points to progress... and I think it's nowhere near half a first team's worth.

Its all about where the player is now, if a player leaves after his last decent season then this is excellent transfer work so it's not sensible to judge on where they were.

The mistakes are therefore clearer and you don't need to worry about players like Beye who are now finished.

yup.

By that rationale we could have a cone at right back and it would be excellent transfer business. A folding ladder up front in place of Owen would be a signing Ashley could be proud of.

Edited by Happy Face