Car advice..

sweetleftpeg

I know, I NEVER start topics unless I want something.

Bit of advice really. Took my car (2004 VW Golf) in for a service and MOT at a garage I use a lot (before I start, the garage are spot on and not the issue here) and they rang me to tell me my exhaust was fucked. Not only that, but my engine is also fucked and is what has caused the exhaust to be fucked. Everything, is fucked.

You can guess what's coming next? The cost. It's going to cost well over a grand and that's before I sourced an engine. So I ask this, do you think I should just scrap it? If so, how easy is it to scrap? I think I would much rather get a sound run-around than chuck money at it, especially as I really can't afford it frankly. Just seems like the cheapest and easiest thing to do to be honest, just wondered if anyone else had been in this situation?

Thoroughly depressed by the way.

I've got the same car. Left mine in last month to get brake pads replaced to come back and find that the calipers were also fucked and needed replaced. 500 quid it cost me <_< Getting rid of it soon enough, think I'll lease from now on.

Depends what "fucked" means.

If you have been driving it as normal then Im guessing its not as fucked as dead.

You will be able to get a second hand exhaust from a scrappy for buttons. Will you get another year out of the engine?

Can you ask around and find someone who will do the work for buttons and not the £30 - £40 an hour labour some garages charge. Each village always has someone who does this.

Also depends what the cars for. If you are just doing local journeys then its not as bad as if you are commuting up and down the M1.

If driveable then my first decision would be based on what work is required to get through the test.

Scrapping the car is easy. Just ring a scrapyard or drive it there. Probably get around £150 iirc from a similar thread on here from a few months back.

Loads of golf engines on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Complete-Engines-/33615/i.html?Make=VW&_nkw=golf+engine&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_sc=1&_sop=7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

Think I've decided to do minimum to get it through it's MOT, take it to a VW dealership and get them to run it through their diagnostic, then flog it to them part exchange. Still depressing!

• 1 year later...

Anyone know anything about buying cars that have previously been written off by the insurer?

The wife is after a new motor and saw a three year old Ford Focus with 40,000 miles for a very reasonable price. The first thing I noticed on the advert was that although it was being sold locally the registered keeper was Hertz so that obviously raises problems with it being an ex-hire car. I did a vehicle report on the RAC website and it is listed as 'Category D - Vehicle damaged but repairable - the insurer decided not to repair'.

My initial instinct was to forget about it but if I got a thorough RAC inspection done and all is okay it could potentially be a bargain?

Will she fuck.

I need to call the guy and find out what sort of damage it was and also if he has pre-repair photos of the damage. Getting an RAC engineer out to do a proper inspection should hopefully provide some sort of assurance that it's not about to fall apart. It will be worth less in resale but if she's paying less for it now then it evens itself out, plus if she drives it for a few years then that should indicate to potential buyers that the damage hasn't affected the running of the car. The whole thing is still a gamble though.