Classic Cars

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some fun, you could do worse than an MX-5. Very chuckable cars, easy to DYI also.

For something fast, a Porsche 928S is proper fast, V8 and 300 bhp.

Cheap as chips and engine and gearbox are bulletproof. They dont rust either.

Electrics can be iffy but thats about it.

Was in a courtesy car 928 SII the other week. Such a long nose and definitely not quick but still fast - slow to rev but felt like it built speed exponentially. Overall though not fun to drive because of the size and weight of it.

Auto? They are not quick off the line ( well they are but thats not what they are about), quick once they get going though.

Its a car you dont "get" until you gel with it, its more of a GT-car. Very competetent but for a "laugh" I can think of better cars sure.

Still more agile than wet waffles J69 set out to buy though, wafty american frame-on-body cars :)

I've pretty much written off the idea of it being an investment. The amount of adverts for old cars that say 'Spent £45k on this over the past 5 or 6 years, selling for £4995' is scary!

First priority is the car have good bodywork and little to no rust. Engines can be worked on in a garage. Welding floors back on is a little trickier.

As for anything after that I'm open to suggestion. I love the look of the old 70s muscle cars like Camaro's, Mustangs, Roadrunners, Trans Ams etc. but there's a massive market for them these days and even knackered ones are selling for upwards of £10-15k.

Maybe it's the 17 year old boy racer in me but I would like for it to be like shit off a stick at the lights. It's only going to be getting minimal use at weekends so im not fussed about it being able to drive to Cornwall and back without anything dropping off.

An old Porsche might not be a bad idea:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3743892.htm

Not the nicest looking but a 5litre V8 would be fun

J69, you need to decide what you want. 928 is a large GT-cruiser with V8 grunt.

Boxster is an immensely impractical 2-seater sportscar. Go drive both and see what you prefer.

But keep in mind its like a woman, something that is fun farting around the forecourt with might not suit you in the long run.

If you want something not losing money, buy a 911 from the 80s. Values are rock solid.

THAT being said. Nothing from the 80s is shit-off-shovel fast today, but it depends where you are coming from.

928S cars are faster than 99% of the cars on the road though..

If I were you, I would locate a 928 with a FSH. Manual preferrably. Buy on condition.

These cars do 160-170 mph and you could cruise at that speed all day with ur missus sleeping next to you.

Made to eat continents.

Check that all the electrics work, look for a recent cambelt-change ( + waterpump), and the syncrorings in the gearbox also need changing occationally.

I'm not sure we are on the same page here :lol: Although I'm sure my dad would love it. He's 51 though

You should perhaps change the title from "classic cars" then

I always thought a mini would be a good first project tbh.

As you've said your not looking at it as an investment but if you do it right you could probably get one completely done up in your 5k budget and sell it on

If you are not ed china its a risky project though. flipping cars usually turn out less profitable than you plan for.

Oh and things go pop.

Back in the 80s you could buy a brand new 911, drive it for a few years and sell it for what you gave, due to inflation. Happy motoring.

LBT I'm curious, a few of us are weighing in here that (obviously) don't know the details of what we're on about but you are doing it with every post

do you actually know about this stuff?

Know about what stuff? Cars?

Im into porsches and BMW`s and Mercs.

I also know enough to advice J69 that if he is not handy with the spanners, fixing up a Mini and selling it on is unlikely to make him any money at all.

If he wants a classic he should buy one, but there isnt any money to be made otherwise everyone would be doing it.

But if you feel you are contributing more by suggesting "something british" then by all means.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

no need to get defensive I was asking a genuine question on whether you've done this sort of thing before

By suggesting I was spouting shit with every single suggestion I make? :\

Im not being defensive, but rather perhaps a surprised by the unpleasantness of your post, just dont see the need for it... we are all fellow toon fans on here. I thought this was a goodhearted thread about finding J69 something amusing, didnt think I would get stick for offering my 2 cents on things..

I am not a mechanic but I have always been into cars, and restoring them is bloody expensive. Especially rust if you are not a welder. 80s german classics have always been a bit of a hobby of mine and as such I feel I can throw J69 some general advice on cars from that era, thats all.

Ah well, time to open a beer.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Like I said earlier, I've resigned myself to making zero money on it. But if I get something that's fun to chuck around and I can teach myself to tinker with ill be happy

Keep an eye out on Ebay. Might find a 911 within your budget there :)

Shout if you see a left-handed one, Im sort of looking for one as well. Summer motoring