Chemnitzer v Newcastle

Happy Face

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you do during the war Uncle Noelie?.......

Well let's see now, almost 7 when it started, evacuated to Yorkshire in September 1939, heard the King's speech, sick mother died December 1940, of shock caused by enemy action. Came back from the evacuation in 1941, went to school part-time.

In Yorkshire learnt how to milk cows, snare rabbits, and wipe my arse with a dock-leaf.

Searched the gutters for shrapnel and spent cartridge cases. Slept under the stairs when the air-raids were on-going. Did many things PaddockLad. :)

Well let's see now, almost 7 when it started, evacuated to Yorkshire in September 1939, heard the King's speech, sick mother died December 1940, of shock caused by enemy action. Came back from the evacuation in 1941, went to school part-time.

In Yorkshire learnt how to milk cows, snare rabbits, and wipe my arse with a dock-leaf.

Searched the gutters for shrapnel and spent cartridge cases. Slept under the stairs when the air-raids were on-going. Did many things PaddockLad. :)

Sounds a lot like my parents, similar age. They don't have a pathological fear of then Hun mind ;)

I'm happy to report that tradition was still alive and kicking up to late seventies and through the eighties, Noalie. :D

:good:

Full Time - Chemnitzer 1-0 Newcastle

Opportunity missed..

:lol: which was? Pre-season fitness gaining friendly, players like Obertan, Sammy and Vuckic who were injured toward back end of last season got a run out, new signings got to play with the team, no loss.

Wow. Was your old man away at war?

That he was, Royal Artillery at first, stationed at an ack-ack site on the south coast then transferred to the RASC and went ashore in Normandy attached to the Guards Armoured Division.

Sounds a lot like my parents, similar age. They don't have a pathological fear of then Hun mind ;)

If your parents went to school during the war they would probably receive a written message from the King in 1946 as I did. I still have mine, framed ond hanging on the wall.

That he was, Royal Artillery at first, stationed at an ack-ack site on the south coast then transferred to the RASC and went ashore in Normandy attached to the Guards Armoured Division.

That must have been tough for him ( and you) losing your mother.

Did you live with your grandparents when you came back from evacuation, or did they let your Dad come home?

My Great Granfather was in the Royal Artillery in WW1 as it happens. He was deaf as a post as a result.

That must have been tough for him ( and you) losing your mother.

Did you live with your grandparents when you came back from evacuation, or did they let your Dad come home?

My Great Granfather was in the Royal Artillery in WW1 as it happens. He was deaf as a post as a result.

No, actually my sister and I were taken in by my mam's twin sister and her husband and we stayed with them even after my dad came back at the end of the war.. Not look-alike twins and in fact triplets, but one died at birth.