What has Newcastle United ever done for Mike Ashley (and Sports Direct)?

PaddockLad

that is correct, and as for Peter Beardsley, he has always been a yes man. I think after what happened to Keegan, his supposed mate/playing colleague/manager/and managerial colleague on his England staff, his arse licking of Ashley is beyond anything I can recall. It's a disagrace tbh.

We have had one good season, where we performed higher than expected, unfortunately without genuinely reaching out higher it has absolutely no chance of being sustained and has been said, it takes a lot more than that to call a club progressive, ambitious and to wipe out everything that has happened in the previous 4 years.

It just amazes me how people can be so blind to what is happening, and the completely illogical hope that you can continue selling your best players to make the owner money while pulling rabbits out of the hat for a fraction of the price made from selling these players. it really does.

What will you say if we make the top 5-6 next season? "We've just had two good seasons, it won't last"?

What a really interesting thought provoking question LM. I don't know why you haven't asked that before. :lol:

With the new new tv deal I reckon ashley could recoup his investment from a sale in the next couple of years....if we maintain performance.

Our break even performance before player trading would become a £30m+ profit.

This is what the guy who tried to sell it last time for him said about the debt...

“I know him well and I’m representing him now, he has actually cleared up Newcastle’s debt. On the balance sheet it shows they don’t owe money, they owe it to him. That’s not debt, that’s equity, a more efficient way for an owner who owns the whole business.”

I can remember Matt going into detail about why owners do it here...

http://www.toontasti...69#entry1048369

Equity?.....aye,negative equity sums up Ashley's financial situation at NUFC perfectly. The club isn't worth the value of the loans he has to pay off on it.

Equity?.....aye,negative equity sums up Ashley's financial situation at NUFC perfectly. The club isn't worth the value of the loans he has to pay off on it.

True, the good thing is though, is that it's his problem, and his alone.

i'm still far from convinced about ashley. last season was a belter though and the signs in the last transfer window were encouraging so i'm hopeful it wasn't a one off.

i'm still far from convinced about ashley. last season was a belter though and the signs in the last transfer window were encouraging so i'm hopeful it wasn't a one off.

Oh aye I think most balanced people would see last season as a good one and know that this season is by no means guaranteed based on last seasons results.

I also think most wouldn't think Ashley has seen the light as such, it's not that straight forward. But the basic logic that he wouldn't intend to deliberately do bad for the club must prevail.

My hope is that he enjoyed last season and wants more of it this. But I'm realistic enough to know he wants the club to fend for itself financially and we're getting in a position slowly to do that.

That's why if we are actually aiming to sign all of Anita, De Jong, Debuchy and Douglas I expect someone to leave to help pay for it.