Pussy Riot verdict

Dr Gloom

I don't completely agree with freedom of speech. I also have a respect for religion as flawed as it may be. At least in a "you do what you will on your church and not my house" kind of way.

Had this been in the uk, id have condemned it greatly as while I'm no fan of the Church, I see it as sacred to some and no place for this. But in Russia it doesn't seem as simple as that so that overall opinion is harder to hold.

2yrs in the clink is a bigger crime than the offence. But that's Russia for you.

Guest CabayeAye

So nowhere is sacred when maximum publicity is sort.Maybe they should have waited until halfway through a funeral. It should never have taken place in a church.

You hit the nail on the head with the first four words.

Nothing is sacred. And rightfully so. The moment something (i.e. the church) gets unquestioned protection, corruption and immoral behavior takes root (which it has).

Guest CabayeAye

So you agree that the punks missed a trick by not doing it during a funeral service.

No, because that would be a personal insult to that family. I am talking about the church as an institution.

Bet i do. July 19th 2012 in The Guardian.Apology accepted.You lost much through gambling over the years ?

But they wouldn't have done it during a funeral service as a personal insult,only to gain maximum publicity. Can we assume that those attending the funeral were pro-Russian Orthodox church ( pro-Putin ) so the actions of the punk group would have been justified ? To protest in such a way leaves me thinking the `small' matter of a funeral wouldn't have meant a change of plan for the punks. They could have had the protest outside the church in the way they did,or even inside the church in silence and in a dignified way,but that wouldn't have been controversial enough. A couple of years in a gulag would sort them out.

Edited by essembeeofsunderland