To The Boxing Fans

Tooj

I always seem to have this argument with me mate's and i seem to stand on me owen, the question is when was Ali at the peak of his powers?

I always state the fighter who beat Liston in 1964 was Ali at his peak, when he had his speed, agility and his power all at the same time and was a phenomenom, whereas me mate's seem to believe it was the more experienced Ali of latter years against Foreman and Frazier in the Rumble and Thriller, just anyone's thoughts?

Probably between 74 and 76

74800[/snapback]

You reckon? I'd argue he was at his peak before he was banned. His fight against Cleveland Williams is said to be his greatest and most complete performance and although the footage isn't great, it's still amazing to watch. He'd lost a lot of his speed and movement by 74, which in a way makes the performance against Foreman even more amazing.

Probably between 74 and 76

74800[/snapback]

You reckon? I'd argue he was at his peak before he was banned. His fight against Cleveland Williams is said to be his greatest and most complete performance and although the footage isn't great, it's still amazing to watch. He'd lost a lot of his speed and movement by 74, which in a way makes the performance against Foreman even more amazing.

74815[/snapback]

Agreed, the world probably never saw the best that Ali had, during the time he was banned from boxing for not signing up for Vietnam was most probably his peak years, is fights against Cleveland Williams and Zora Folley were examples of sheer boxing perfection.

When Ali came back in 1970 against Jerry Quarry he looked slow and flat-footed compared to his first reign as champion and was clearly past his peak.

As long as I live I will never forget watching Ali punch Richard Dunn. Dunn wobbled and shook for what seemed an eternity before hitting the canvas. Not Ali's best fight, but something that sticks in the mind.

Ali - The Greatest. :lol:

at his peak? unfortunately he was at his peak when he was banned

74892[/snapback]

Probably true, sadly. In a strange way it is reminiscent of the career of Donald Bradman (also 'The Greatest' in his field). His stats are absolutely incredible, until you realise his peak years were during the period of the Second World War!

While his wins in the mid 70's are more famous, you have to remember his whole plan was 'rope a dope'; duck and weave and knacker them out. He knew he wasn't as good as he had been so changed his tactics. Brilliant.

While his wins in the mid 70's are more famous, you have to remember his whole plan was 'rope a dope'; duck and weave and knacker them out. He knew he wasn't as good as he had been so changed his tactics. Brilliant.

74982[/snapback]

True but the mid 70's also saw Ali get beaten by Joe Frazier, had his jaw broken and beaten on points by Ken Norton, was beaten by Jimmy Young but was given a gift points decision and then lose to Leon Spinks who had only had 8 pro fights !

74982[/snapback]

True but the mid 70's also saw Ali get beaten by Joe Frazier, had his jaw broken and beaten on points by Ken Norton, was beaten by Jimmy Young but was given a gift points decision and then lose to Leon Spinks who had only had 8 pro fights !

75000[/snapback]

Spinks was late 70's ;)

:lol:

74982[/snapback]

75000[/snapback]

Oh aye, I'm agreeing that he was better in the 60's, I'm just saying that people remember the victories in the 70's even though he was past his peak.

74982[/snapback]

75000[/snapback]

Oh aye, I'm agreeing that he was better in the 60's, I'm just saying that people remember the victories in the 70's even though he was past his peak.

75005[/snapback]

Certainly his more memorable fights were in that great era of Frazier, Norton, and Foreman, and without doubt the greatest of all time.

• 10 years later...

I dont watch much boxing nowadays as I did when I was a nipper like. Last couple of days I have heard Carl Froch on the wireless. He sounds a massive cock.

Good job you bumped the current boxing thread, I was half expecting you to bump Ali vs Henry Cooper.