Retrospective shambles of the FA

scoobos

Right, so please someone put me straight.

Horror tackle on Haidara - ref didnt see it - FA say they cant take retrospective action.

Suarez bites Ivanvoic - ref didnt see it - "The FA said the match officials had not seen it during the game at Anfield and it had been "retrospectively reviewed"."

ey....

Yeah I'd like to hear an explanation of the 'logic' myself.

I don't get the distinction between addressing an incorrect decision and addressing no decision. Both are wrong and surely both deserve the same treatment.

Edited by RobH

If it had been clearly seen the Haidara tackle was serious foul play, and there is a reason why Halsey couldnt see it, he was unsighted.

Suarez is violent conduct, and they will make an exception for that it would appear. Ben Thatcher got a booking for a "foul" on Mendez, but it was reviewed and he was then charged with VC.

Clear as mud...

No one saw the Suarez one so it's pretty simply expained. I don't understand anyones confusion about it.

I'm sure they would have made this an occassion where they overturned a referee's decision if he said he saw it but did nothing mind. And that would be the right thing to do tbh. The rat faced cunt deliberately bit an opponent. He didn't just mistime a challenge. Tackles are part of football, his teeth should never be!

I don't think McManaman mistimed a challenge either - he went for him. I agree with the Suarez ban but the FA need some consistency - there is no way tackles like McManaman's should go unpunished whether the ref sees it or not. It's not just a foul it's a career threatening tackle.

It was over strong but I don't think he had the intent to hurt him. Mind you, how could you ever prove intent with something like that. With Suarez, no one could claim he accidently bit him (even with those teeth).

The FA will never want to look at any tackle unless the officials say they didn't see it because tackling is part of the game. Biting clearly isn't.

I didn't think he had intent, until the coverage from many angles came out the next day - and its pretty obvious that he went in to hit him hard. Maybe not break his leg, but he had intent all over his face.

• 2 months later...

From the BBC:

The Football Association announces it has changed the retrospective action process ahead of next season.

Callum McManaman's tackle on Massadio Haidara

From the start of the new campaign, the governing body can decide to take action against players when match officials are not in a position to fully assess an incident.

The amendment follows a tackle last season involving Wigan's Callum McManaman and Newcastle United's Massadio Haidara.

I don't get it really. The FA has done loads of retrospective stuff.

Perhaps this is done just to indemnify them from some possible litigation or something.

I'm pleased mind, just seems a bit fishy.