Lakes of the North East

ajax_andy

Never really classed the North East as being particularly great for it's lakes... although I'm not really a lake enthusiast.

However I took the dog for a walk around Bolam Lake over the weekend and was impressed!

It has everything from the lake itself, to wildlife (loads of swans, geese, goslings all wandering around... dog got a fright when dive bombed in to the lake in the middle of about 8 swans who started going mad :lol:) to woodland and erm other stuff I've forgotten.

You can walk several routes around it... one took me about 15 mins, the next took me about 45 mins and I was only half way round so took a short cut back.

Canny place and would recommend.

Lake score - 8/10

Used to go fishing there as a bairn .

Great times . Cold bacon sarnies , perch , pike , wasn't it .

There at 6 O'clock Sunday mornings , , , before all the DogWalkerWankers turned up to wreck 'the vibe' :ermm:

:lol:

Obviously a reservoir and not a lake but I still love going to Keilder. Mainly to fish, but I just find the place really peaceful and relaxed..if you find the right spot (not telling).

Lakes man LAKES... the clue's in the thread title! ;)

Never actually been to Kielder before... driven kind of around it on my way to see some clients near there. Should really check it out tbh. Are there lots of walks around it? I always kind of just think of it as a place people with too much money take their kids to go canoeing so never considered walking around it.

Obviously a reservoir and not a lake but I still love going to Keilder. Mainly to fish, but I just find the place really peaceful and relaxed..if you find the right spot (not telling).

Oh aye and you forgot to give it a score out of 10... eeh some people!

Never actually been to Kielder before... driven kind of around it on my way to see some clients near there. Should really check it out tbh. Are there lots of walks around it? I always kind of just think of it as a place people with too much money take their kids to go canoeing so never considered walking around it.

Bolam Lake is man made , just sayin' :whistle:

Have you tried Killingworth Lake Andy ?

Famed for it's swans and trolleys .

A lowly 3/10 .

A lass I went to school with found a dead granny floating in it on her way to school.

It's much nicer now tbf, has Herons and Grebes on it and the trolley count is much reduced :)

Haha this thread has developed since I last checked :D

Ok is a man made lake still classed as a lake? If not my whole thread is ruined :lol:

Never been to Killingworth... always avoided it as it just seemed like the kind of place ferral kids would run wild and old ladies would be walking around with their dog in a pram.

For a lowly 3/10 rating I'd not risk entering it's vacinity tbh

Not heard of big waters so will have a look :)

I think there's a place called 'Watergate Park' just past Whickham that I've been to a few times... it's ok but a bit grim. I'm not really sure I'd class it as a lake as such either, more a big pond and the walks in the place generally aren't near the lake itself.

Lake score - 4/10

Kind of wish I'd called this thread 'rate my lake' now for some strange reason :lol:

Can you walk around it? They run a marathon round it man. ;) Joking aside, there is a pathway that runs all the way round it. You can walk or cycle round. I know it's a reservoir, but it's the closest thing you're going to get to a decent 'lake' in the North East. I did show a Canadian friend it once and he called it a 'pond.'

Oh, and 9 out of 10.

Can you walk around it? They run a marathon round it man. ;) Joking aside, there is a pathway that runs all the way round it. You can walk or cycle round. I know it's a reservoir, but it's the closest thing you're going to get to a decent 'lake' in the North East. I did show a Canadian friend it once and he called it a 'pond.'

Oh, and 9 out of 10.

If they run a marathon around it there's no fucking way I'm walking around it :lol:

Get this down y Andy - Big Waters - a place dear to me heart. It does refer to it as a "pond" like but you get what you're given !

It featured on Country file the other year when they built a link under the A1 between the Big and Little Waters for the otters . Big on the twitcher circuit too .

The days of making polystyrene rafts from the packaging from washing machines on this pond are long over but, like you say it'll still be going on in Killy with it's plakka flamingoes n that .

http://www.nwt.org.uk/reserves/big-waters

Edited by LoveTheBobby

There's a canny if small lake behind HM Frankland Prison. Surrounded by gnarly old trees and resplendent with Great Crested Grebe if you don't mind the cameras following you.

Never been to Killingworth... always avoided it as it just seemed like the kind of place ferral kids would run wild and old ladies would be walking around with their dog in a pram.

For a lowly 3/10 rating I'd not risk entering it's vacinity tbh

:o

This is an artists interpretation of Killy Lake man :lol:

inpage-alone-lake1.jpg