The first team squad - Season 2013-2014

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that your own interpretation of it?...thats fair enough but not what my old man says or what's in bobby Charltons book either...both said Sir Alf played 433 and was slaughtered for it in the press, until he won the world cup that is :)

Mine and many others'. This particular pic I took from this blog: http://ademirtozizinho.blogspot.se/2011/08/brief-history-of-tactics-wingless.html

Here's another one: http://footballsgreatest.weebly.com/england-1966.html

Winning the World Cup in '66 was one of the worst things to happen to English football.

You're a man who usually speaks sense - my feeble mind doesn't understand this.

Why would it be a bad thing?

I suppose you could call Charltons position in that a "false 9"?...anyway, the accepted wisdom at the time was it was 433, and that's what Charlton himself says. It was very fluid, the front 5 all capable of great movement and flexibility and the fullbacks overlapping in support. Cohen and Flowers were said to have pretty much invented modern fullback play under Sir Alf's guidance,Martin Peters was later said to have been 20 years ahead of his time, Geoff Hurst scored a hatrick but Alan Ball was man of the match. The greatest goalscorer England has ever produced only good enough for the bench. A truly great side,whatever the formation was...

I suppose you could call Charltons position in that a "false 9"?...anyway, the accepted wisdom at the time was it was 433, and that's what Charlton himself says. It was very fluid, the front 5 all capable of great movement and flexibility and the fullbacks overlapping in support. Cohen and Flowers were said to have pretty much invented modern fullback play under Sir Alf's guidance,Martin Peters was later said to have been 20 years ahead of his time, Geoff Hurst scored a hatrick but Alan Ball was man of the match. The greatest goalscorer England has ever produced only good enough for the bench. A truly great side,whatever the formation was...

Yup, I'd say Charltons position was a false 9 rather than a striker, therefore I think it's more of a 4-4-2 diamond but of course it's not wrong to call it a 4-3-3. It sure was a great side.

You're a man who usually speaks sense - my feeble mind doesn't understand this.

Why would it be a bad thing?

because it solidified the belief in a simplistic system and prevented a revolution in thinking that was happening elsewhere in the football world.

I think...

because it solidified the belief in a simplistic system and prevented a revolution in thinking that was happening elsewhere in the football world.

I think...

That's how I read it. It'd be like Greek football thinking that because their approach in the 2004 Euros was successful, it will be forever more.

The stats have been pulled up time and again, but essentially the number of professional standard coaches that're registered in England is a fucking disgrace, we're not simply bettered on that front by Spain, Germany, France et al, we're humiliated. That capable English coaches are having to ply their trade abroad because so many coaching jobs are going to ex-pros based on nothing more than that they are ex-pros, well that just compounds the problem.

The FA were once described to me as maneouverable as an Oil Tanker, I don't believe they're anything like as spritely as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting Remy today completes our starting 11. One more striker to complete the bench and then a wide player to boost options.

I'm optimistic.

------------------------Krul

Debuchy---Taylor---Coloccini---Santon

----------Cabaye---Tiote---Sissoko

---------Ben Arfa---Cisse---Remy

Tiote sitting in front of the back four, Santon and Debuchy providing width. I'd imagine both Ben Arfa and Remy to drift wide.

That's a fucking exciting 11!!

Elliott, M'Biwa, Haidara, Anita, Jonas, Gouffran and New striker.

Meaning we'd have additional cover with Williamson, Raylor (when fit), Gosling, Marveaux, Obertan and Shola.

Then then youngsters. Alnwick, Streete, Dummett, Bigirimana, Vuckic, Sameobi and Campbell.

Puts us in a pretty good position to have a good season IMHO.

Edited by StellarStripes

Getting Remy today completes our starting 11. One more striker to complete the bench and then a wide player to boost options.

I'm optimistic.

Tiote sitting in front of the back four, Santon and Debuchy providing width. I'd imagine both Ben Arfa and Remy to drift wide.

That's a fucking exciting 11!!

Elliott, M'Biwa, Haidara, Anita, Jonas, Gouffran and New striker.

Meaning we'd have additional cover with Williamson, Raylor (when fit), Gosling, Marveaux, Obertan and Shola.

Then then youngsters. Alnwick, Streete, Dummett, Bigirimana, Vuckic, Sameobi and Campbell.

Puts us in a pretty good position to have a good season IMHO.

So the signing of one player is going to mean we finish approximately how many league posistions above last season's 16th?

Forgive me if I'm not foaming at the mouth with excitement about the forthcoming season, but the last 3 home games of the last one are still fresh in my mind. Just 3 short months ago.

Our best 11 was always very strong. Remy completes the attacking 3. Come on mate look at that side and tell me where it's weak?

It was all about improving the squad which Remy does and another would most certainly. An additional player in 'another area' which I'd imaging out wide...we would be stronger.

The influx from January will be settled and have had a good preseason.

More reason to be optimistic unless of course you can't stand the blue pinstripes in the new shirt. :lol:

I want us to do well, but WHS.

2 injuries and we're fooked, same as last year.

I disagree I honestly think we will have a squad capable on 3 fronts. Fringe and youth players will get game time in the cups.

All clubs are at mercy to injuries.

I want us to do well, but WHS.

2 injuries and we're fooked, same as last year.

assuming gomis comes on, which 2 injuries?

How about last season then? We were screwed once Cabaye and Arfa went.

I'm not happy with fuckin fringe and youth players THROWING away cups either, we should compete in them , its the only thing we stand even a slight chance of winning.

Our attitude to Europa and the domestic cups sucked balls last year, its embarrasing (It's also the only real opportunity I get to go to matches , which is my motivation).

But alright, I've done enough whinging on here for a year , it just grinds my gears that 1 single striker seems to turn us around into this better team , we were very lucky not to get relegated last year remember.

How about last season then? We were screwed once Cabaye and Arfa went.

I'm not happy with fuckin fringe and youth players THROWING away cups either, we should compete in them , its the only thing we stand even a slight chance of winning.

Our attitude to Europa and the domestic cups sucked balls last year, its embarrasing (It's also the only real opportunity I get to go to matches , which is my motivation).

But alright, I've done enough whinging on here for a year , it just grinds my gears that 1 single striker seems to turn us around into this better team , we were very lucky not to get relegated last year remember.

and 5 players were brought in in january, certainly 4 of them straight into the first team, without time do adapt.

assuming gomis comes on, which 2 injuries?

To me , with the comment above, you are proving my point - they all struggled (except perhaps Gouffran, who slotted straight in) and we nearly got relegated .

I'm not counting the new people we *might* buy, but I'm a firm believer that most foreign players without Prem experience need at least a year to settle and be anything more than substandard. If they do play well, they tend only to do it in small stints.

Even Chelsea and the likes struggle to bond their players and they buy WORLD class .

I reckon bringing Remy / Gomis (or anyone really) in, is a good thing - but 2 weeks before the season and expecting good form is perhaps a big ask.

I'd say any 2 injuries tbh - If we lose Cabaye, Colo, Taylor, Deb , Arfa etc we don't seem to have a natural plug for the gap at all.

Or , playing devils advocate, say we do have all those players without an inury - very few of them are strong enough to play every game of the season anyway, and will need rotating.

Edited by scoobos

We had a bad year. Move the fuck on.

I trust that the players have learned and grown over the summer and that Pardew spotted his tactical nativity.

Personally and it's only my opinion, Remy completes a great 11. Our bench as it is, is decent but 1 or two added to the pool an we will be in a very good position to attack 3 fronts.

Why don't you want fringe or youth players in the side? What a moronic narrow minded thing to say.

How else are we to blood players, give them the confidence to thrive if we don't have enough faith to give them a chance.

Difference is this year we should keep our squad fitter meaning the youth lads will go in with experience.

I disagree I honestly think we will have a squad capable on 3 fronts. Fringe and youth players will get game time in the cups.

All clubs are at mercy to injuries.

I take it your memory is so bad you cant remember Brighton either?...

In a bad season, when they weren't ready.

You can't always look back man, have faith and look forward.

So you dont subscribe to the reasonably common view in that yes, the players are good enough, but the manager is a fuckin clown and doesnt know what to do with them?

4th choice is Williamsons place. I'm happy enough with that. I reckon Streete might push a case this season.

Marveaux is a good player and I'd like to see him get a good amount of game time.

how much have you seen of streete? what's he like?

look at that side and tell me where it's weak?

The wide men will give very little cover to two fullback who are suspect defensively.