Formations (again)

Christmas Tree

According to the local Journos, Pardew quite fancys the idea of playing two up front next season. Add to that we seem to be trying to get two strikers in (from Remy, Bent and Gomis).

Do people think that this will mean us dropping the 4231 that was used a lot last year in favour of a 442 or will it be more 433.

Assuming two strikers come in then it looks to me as though we are going to have a very strong squad with one or two decent strikers on the bench and possible midfield subs from....

Sisokko, Marveaux, Anita, Jonas, Gouffran, Vuckic....

Obviously finalising the strikers is key, but should they succeed then it looks quite a decent first team squad to me.

Given we usually have 3 or 4 players from the first 16 injured at any one time we are back into the realms of Obertan and Shola in the bench. It's not a great squad by any stretch imo. Good starting XI? Yes

Love this talk of a "good squad" when we're far worse than when Pardew got 5th. Sure lots of our players might look promising (I'm a big fan of Sissoko so far) but non of them are proven yet - even our "purples" such as Cabaye haven't really consistently produced anything.

This squad is not good enough to avoid relegation, no way - all best intentions, but 2 injuries at the same time and we're fucked completely.

According to the local Journos, Pardew quite fancys the idea of playing two up front next season. Add to that we seem to be trying to get two strikers in (from Remy, Bent and Gomis).

Do people think that this will mean us dropping the 4231 that was used a lot last year in favour of a 442 or will it be more 433.

Assuming two strikers come in then it looks to me as though we are going to have a very strong squad with one or two decent strikers on the bench and possible midfield subs from....

Sisokko, Marveaux, Anita, Jonas, Gouffran, Vuckic....

Obviously finalising the strikers is key, but should they succeed then it looks quite a decent first team squad to me.

You think Ameobi is decent? I love the lad and won't say a bad word about him... but he was poor cover in his prime. He looks like Foreman in his last few fights now.

Love this talk of a "good squad" when we're far worse than when Pardew got 5th. Sure lots of our players might look promising (I'm a big fan of Sissoko so far) but non of them are proven yet - even our "purples" such as Cabaye haven't really consistently produced anything.

This squad is not good enough to avoid relegation, no way - all best intentions, but 2 injuries at the same time and we're fucked completely.

The squad is better than it was then. But a good first team got us fifth with the least injuries over a season we've had in living memory.

The squad we have with the signings in January should have no worries over relegation... especially if we bring in another quality striker. It will be club politics, power dynamics, internal wrangling and leaderless players that is most likely to become our undoing.

he's put Sissoko on the bench and all :lol:

and going by jonas being on the bench and anita and marveux i'm not sure who is out left, has he started Obertan?

Well if we go 442 with two strikers up top (and based on the assumption I stated that two strikers will arrive), where does Sissoko fit in?

Of course there's the possibility of dropping. Tiote, but I'm doubtful Pardew will do that.

I'm not really sure who Pardew will pick on the left off a 442. Last seasons Pardew would probably go for Jonas, I would prefer Marveaux or a gambling Pardew may play Mbwia at left back with Santon ahead???

You think Ameobi is decent? I love the lad and won't say a bad word about him... but he was poor cover in his prime. He looks like Foreman in his last few fights now.

I haven't mentioned Ameobi?

If we get two strikers in then in a 442 we would have one on the bench, other formations such as 434 or 4231 he may go with one striker leaving two on the bench.

I haven't mentioned Ameobi?

If we get two strikers in then in a 442 we would have one on the bench, other formations such as 434 or 4231 he may go with one striker leaving two on the bench.

But if we buy 2 strikers better than Shola (a big if) and play a 442, any injury to a striker would see him become our best cover. Fact is we won't buy 2 though and he already is, however you try to shine the shit.

Well if we go 442 with two strikers up top (and based on the assumption I stated that two strikers will arrive), where does Sissoko fit in?

Of course there's the possibility of dropping. Tiote, but I'm doubtful Pardew will do that.

I'm not really sure who Pardew will pick on the left off a 442. Last seasons Pardew would probably go for Jonas, I would prefer Marveaux or a gambling Pardew may play Mbwia at left back with Santon ahead???

In his best position in central midfield.

The squad we have with the signings in January should have no worries over relegation... especially if we bring in another quality striker..

'Only' if we bring in another striker. We were lucky that Cisse escaped injury last season. We are currently an injury to him away from achieving our lowest points total in our premier league history.

Cisse managed 8 league goals ffs! Gouffran was our next best striker with 3 :lol:

null_zps64bce3b7.png

Edited by TheRollingStones

4411 by the sounds of things. I don't think that's been a winning formation since Mourinho came in 10years ago and exploited the shit out of it with 433 and its variants.

Cisse was clearly isolated last season, and he wants a 'no 10' to help him and stay close to him(what he tried with Sissoko last year). Shirley that's where HBA would be at his most influential though? All well and good watching him dropping the shoulder on the half-way line out on the touchline, sucking 2-3 players in and trying a cross-field pass(which Arsenal had sussed last game). I think getting a player with that sort of ability as close to goal as possible would make sense.

makes you wonder how unfit he is though, i know we were joking on here about his weight when he came back end of last season, but he still didn't look like he was knackered, and he hadn't lost pace

Pardews already said his fitness timings this pre season are better than at any other time with NUFC.

A lot of needless focus is put on formations, when in reality managers train players to react based on where the other teams players are and if we have the ball or not.

For example, 4-4-2 is how a team will line up for kick-off, but when the No 10 drops into midfield to make space for himself (HBA is a big fan of this) the formation is closer to 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1 to you football manager fans)

Like wise when a fullback bombs up the pitch, the other fullback will usually drop more centrally to make 3 at the back - with two defenders go man-for-man on the opponents forwards and the spare defender sweeping. But you'd never hear people saying we play 3-5-2

The only thing that matter is how many positions can the players adapt too.

Any formation we put in place has to take into consideration that HBA is not going to work for the team when we don't have the ball. I'm not having a dig at him here pro-HTA people, I think even his biggest fans have to admit he doesn't want to know when we're not in possession. We need to set up for that, there's no point in pretending he's going to be sprinting back after a attack breaks down. I would actually build my team around him and set up a formation that accommodates him best, he is by far our best game changer/winner.

I've seen him track back a good few times mind but that was in the same batch of games where Cisse was doing the same - we really need to have 3 players ready to attack at any time - and that's a ''defensive'' quantity.

As narrow as CTs chipolata that man

Aye maybe, but at least people are playing in their correct positions. What about -

Krul

Debuchy Colo Mbiwa Santon

Cabaye Tiote Sissoko

HBA

Gouffran Cisse

With Gouffran and Ben Arfa pulling wide?