Uruguay about to legalise and tax marijooana.

Park Life

Legislators in the ruling coalition said putting the government at the centre of a legal marijuana industry is worth trying because the global war on drugs had been a costly and bloody failure, and displacing illegal dealers through licensed marijuana sales could save money and lives.

They also hope to eliminate a legal contradiction in Uruguay, where it has been legal to use marijuana but against the law to sell it, buy it, produce it or possess even one plant.

"Uruguay appears poised, in the weeks ahead, to become the first nation in modern times to create a legal, regulated framework for marijuana," said John Walsh, a drug policy expert at the Washington Office on Latin America. "In doing so, Uruguay will be bravely taking a leading role in establishing and testing a compelling alternative to the prohibitionist paradigm."

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/aug/01/uruguay-first-legal-marijuana-market

Sensible.

Aye I just saw that on BBC, interesting. Think it'll take a while to dissipate into the calm they perceive though, if it ever does. What is the legislation in place currently in Netherlands? I am going to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and know that they were considering a 'Dutch nationals only' law last year. Did that go through?

Edited by ADP

Aye I just saw that on BBC, interesting. Think it'll take a while to dissipate into the calm they perceive though, if it ever does. What is the legislation in place currently in Netherlands? I am going to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and know that they were considering a 'Dutch nationals only' law last year. Did that go through?

Yeah you have to have a grass pass (for locals only).

I thought they'd decided to simply ignore the law? AFAIA it's still freely available to all in coffee shops.

Was talking to some German students who are studying in Amsterdam and they say they were refused. I know what you mean as there is a delivery service anyway for anything.

I was thinking probs cause you're Germans. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Was talking to some German students who are studying in Amsterdam and they say they were refused. I know what you mean as there is a delivery service anyway for anything.

I was thinking probs cause you're Germans. :lol:

Quite possible... Dutch people hate the ze Germans :lol:

Be interesting to see if society falls to bits in Uruguay through a descent into drug fuelled anarchy. Be good if there was a viable alternative to the "war on drugs", which the authorities aren't winning.

Be interesting to see if society falls to bits in Uruguay through a descent into drug fuelled anarchy. Be good if there was a viable alternative to the "war on drugs", which the authorities aren't winning

Is there anything left that there isn't 'a war' on? :lol:

Be interesting to see if society falls to bits in Uruguay through a descent into drug fuelled anarchy. Be good if there was a viable alternative to the "war on drugs", which the authorities aren't winning.

I know from speaking to my Dutch inlaws and sister in law etc etc that in Holland you get some stoners like anywhere else but most people don't really bother with it. They actually get educated on drugs, what happens, the good and the bad so it's not all taboo and cool to do like over here.

We as a country are completely backwards about education of 'taboo' subjects... for instance about 10 years ago I watched a program with Davina McCall who tried to introduce the Dutch sex education system in to a school over here as they have the lowest teen preganancy rate in europe and us the highest. After a few weeks I think they had to shut it down as the parents went ape shit about their precious 4 year old daughters being told about sex... a decade on most of them are probably pregant or fucking around without any idea of contraception or safe sex as a result.

You can still smoke de 'erbal in Amsterdam but you do have to buy a coffee as well though in most places.

Go to Popeye's - they do a full english breakfast with weed sprinkled over the top for 10 euros. I was practically limboing down the high street after eating it.