Which of the "other 14" would you take the front line of?

Happy Face

I'm annoyingly really looking forward to see how our forwards line and link up this season.

If the reports about the new signings are accurate, if they can work together and if they get on the ball enough, watching us play could actually be pleasurable for the first time in God knows how long.

Unfortunately it's as likely as the opposite happening; if Riviere cannot make the step up, if Ferreyra never really settles, if Cabella is too lightweight and De Jong is made of glass, if none of them are able to work together and if we spend too much time picking the ball out of our own net thanks to our pourous defence, we could be fucked. :lol::suicide:

I am too, but I'm worried that they won't all be able to get the time on the pitch required to see the best of them.

Nevermind. I'm sure once I see some of them play more, I'll be convinced they're no good and won't want them on the pitch! Problem solved.

I am too, but I'm worried that they won't all be able to get the time on the pitch required to see the best of them.

Nevermind. I'm sure once I see some of them play more, I'll be convinced they're no good and won't want them on the pitch! Problem solved.

I'm already pretty much convinced Ferreyra won't cut it.

I have the feeling SDJ will be very important to how well Riviere and Chucky do. If he does well then I think Riviere might do well also. Looks like they're going to have to because after Pardew's latest comments I don't think we'll sign another striker.

That's massively pessimistic

More massively ridiculous tbh.

Everton have only really got Lukaku who's much of a goal scorer there. Kone has done nothing there and didn't score much at Wigan. Naismith is shite and Miralles is more of a winger.

Villa - Benteke is quality but even Villa fans done rate Weimann. Agbonglahor is very hit and miss and Bent looks finished.

Stoke - They have some very average players. Croch is about finished, Walters is fucking awful as is Jermome. Odemwinge is nothing special. Briame Diouf is anyones guess after what he did over here in the past and Kirkic is on the back of several very poor seasons. Arnautovic is the only one I'd want.

Hull - Long looks like he's on his way. Jelavic has had a similar career path to Cisse but without being forced to play on the wing. Sagbo and Aluko have done nothing in the league.

West Ham - Carroll has a long way to go to prove he's not a crock. Vaz Te is shite as is Cole. Zarate has looked decent in the past but it's a while since he's done anything in Europe and Valencia is unproven.

Southampton - Jay Rodriguez is canny but massively overrated. I know nothing about this Pelle.

Palace - All shite tbh.

Swansea - Bony is quality and I'm sure we'd all definitely take him. Feelings were very mixed about the potential of Gomis coming here so I can't see why we'd be desperate for him now. Emnes is gash.

West Brom - Ideye is unproven. Anichibie is shite. Berahino is a prospect.

QPR - Remy is obvious quality but Zamora is god awful and Austin is unproven.

Tramps - Altidore and Graham are awful. Fletcher is decent but seems injury prone and Wickham still has a lot to prove despite his late run last season.

We have got three strikers (I'm including SDJ in this because it seems that's pretty much where he'll be played) who are unproven in the league and one who's had a shocking run. No that's not something we should be massively excited about but there looks like there's potential there. I'm sure we'd all take Lukaku, Bony, Benteke and Remy and if we had any of them we'd be pretty optimistic about our chances. But I can't say there's any strike forces in any of those teams that I'm envious of.

I should have stopped reading when you tried to say Everton weren't in a better position tbh.

Who is de Jong playing off? Who are the other two you are excited about?

No one is saying the other squads are decent, just that Newcastle are very, very light without signing a proper striker.

Half the players named by HF are development players.

I should have stopped reading when you tried to say Everton weren't in a better position tbh.

No one is saying the other squads are decent, just that Newcastle are very, very light without signing a proper striker.

Who is this aimed at?

Well in that case. I didn't say Everton weren't in a better position. They've spent nearly £30m on a striker proven in this league. Unless Riviere or Chucky make massive unexpected strides or Cisse goes on a run like his first 6 months then we clearly have nothing near that level. They are light in numbers mind you. Kone is their only other senior out and out striker and he's never looked prolific over here.

I also never said I was excited about our strikeforce at all. I just said there's potential there and that I see nothing in the overall striking options of any of the teams listed that makes me jealous other than the individual players I've listed. I thik SDJ playing off Riviere has potential but I also think we're asking a lot of Riviere to lead our line and score 15 goals +. IMO we should have signed a senior striker to do that. But I think it's more than possible that we can 10 goals each off Riviere, SDJ & Cisse.

I also ignored the development players in all the teams.

De Jong will most likely play off Riviere or Ferreyra. Riviere has looked decent in Pre-season, scored a couple and looked competent linking up with the other new players. We won't really know for a good few games. I'm certainly not writing him off yet. Ferreyra is a mystery, he might be grand, but the accounts I've read indicate he's a confidence player, which is a worry. Aside from those two, we still have Cisse.

My response to your dismissal was because barring one or two, we're in a far stronger position than the other teams.

Everton have stayed still in terms of goal-scorers. Lukaku is very good imo, but after him they're very light. If he doesn't keep up his high standards, or if he gets injured, they could be in trouble.

Villa - I'm still not convinced Benteke is going to be around all season and he strikes me as the kind of player who will delay his return from injury for as long as possible. After the big Belgian, who else have they got that can score? Weimann?

Stoke - I like Arnautovic, but I'd expect him to be a Match of the Day kind of player. Crouch is a dependable performer, but he's not a dependable goal scorer. Krkic is a gamble and if it pays off they've got a cracking player, if not he'll sulk and strop and who've they got?

Hull - They're losing their best goal-getter in Long, Jelavic is a form player and if you can argue that Cisse won't provide goals, you can level the same criticism at Jelavic.

West Ham - Valencia is a good player, strong, fast and decent control. How's he going to perform when he's carrying the burden of getting the goals when playing Fat Sam's style on his todd, in his first season in the Premier League? Carroll is unfortunately turning out to be an injury-prone player, which is a shame for him, but good news for us.

Southampton - Brand new style of play, brand new manager, brand new players shorn of their reliable team-mates. Rodriguez was never the main man, but he did score a good number of goals. Can he do it without Shaw, Lallana, Lambert? I wouldn't say Southampton are better off than we are in the goal scoring stakes.

Palace - Puncheon and Gayle. Are you fucking kidding me? :lol:

Swansea - Bony has been decent and I'd have him here. After him it's Jonathan De Guzman. Bony I'd have, but nobody else from Swansea though.

West Brom - Their top goal-scorer got 5 in the league. Five. And you're suggesting they're amongst the teams who're better than us up front? Gouffran got 5 in the league.

QPR - They haven't got a striker (I still think Remy will be off somewhere) and even if he does stay, they've nobody else.

sunderland - One of the few bright spots for them last year was Borini, who doesn't want to go there. If they don't sign a striker soon they're toothless.

In short, you're massively pessimistic. You're writing off Riviere, Ferreyra, De Jong & Cabella, before seeing them kick a ball in the league.

You're writing off Riviere, Ferreyra, De Jong & Cabella, before seeing them kick a ball in the league.

Where the fuck did you read that?

De Jong and Cabella are potentially world class, and neither of them is a striker.

Ferreyra for me is the one I expect to fail.

I'm just concerned that the number 9 role falls to Riviere (who has impressed me albeit vs inferior opposition), in a position that he's not used to, in a tough league, and that he doesn't get injured.

Given that I think most of the 14 have a recognised striker, regardless of being world beaters, puts them slightly ahead for me.

A striker is absolutely vital to success this season, and more importantly it will prove CSD wrong.

Says the man who'd take any front line outside the top six ahead of ours. Despite the others being shit and our lot being untested.