Politics

Christmas Tree

Labour's economic crime was not in 2008, it was in the years before which further deregualted the financial sector and held it up to the world as a beacon of growth.

Of course Joe Public himself has to shoulder some blame for revelling in the credit provided by that deregulation. As I've said before if Brown had at any time said "I'm going to massively limit personal credit and lending" he would have been crucified.

Thats the difference between strong rulers and weak ones.

I was talking to one of my daughters about this sort of thing recently and explained that less than 20 years ago, if I went overdrawn (a common occurence), my presence was requested at the bank for a very tough talking too, an explaination and a promise to bank more responsibly.

A loan was not easy to get.

Compare that with two years ago when I could happily sit at my computer and get loans of upto 30,000 with 2 minutes typing. No checks, nothing.

I hope controls are brought in so that consumer credit does become a lot harder to get, permanently.

Lets be honest the global corporations and the banks, not forgetting the all important markets have got so much power these days that any government is fairly limited in what they can do

Tories stopping free school dinners....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/education/10273613.stm

They'll be after the milk next.

Absolutely the wrong thing to do. That money could hardly be better directed. Disgusting.

Anyone remember what school dinners were like under Thatcher?

Wummery at its best Gentlemen, well done :icon_lol:

Absolutely the wrong thing to do. That money could hardly be better directed. Disgusting.

Not wummery at all. Certainly not on my part.

My brother is a low income, stay at home, single father of an under five year old without IS or JSA. This is going to cost him a bomb.

Labour tried to bribe electorate

At PMQ's today while talking to Bridget, David Cameron had this to say......

Before the last election Lord Mandelson had a giant chequebook which he went round opening up all over the country, spending tens of billions of pounds he promised to 200 projects, two thirds of which were conveniently located in Labour marginal seats.

"Given that so much money was spent it is only right for a responsible incoming Government to review those decisions one by one and make sure the money was well spent.

Five live was also told today that Labour ministers carried out a "scorched earth" policy of spending as much as they could before the election.

It got so bad that civil servants asked ministers to put their orders in writing after voicing concerns about certain spending decisions.

Quite shameful really

My brother is a low income, stay at home, single father of an under five year old without IS or JSA. This is going to cost him a bomb.

Well unlike your headline...... The story is actually about them not rolling out a trial project into a bigger trial project :lol:

It's not so much the cost to people like him who will hopefully be sensible and pay for dinners - though that is bad enough. Its the kids whose parents won't pay. Malnourishment did actually exist in the 1980s.

Wtf is CT on about by saying its wummery? It's posts like that that remind me how obnoxious he can be.

Guest alex

Before the last election Lord Mandelson had a giant chequebook which he went round opening up all over the country, spending tens of billions of pounds he promised to 200 projects, two thirds of which were conveniently located in Labour marginal seats.

"Given that so much money was spent it is only right for a responsible incoming Government to review those decisions one by one and make sure the money was well spent.

Five live was also told today that Labour ministers carried out a "scorched earth" policy of spending as much as they could before the election.

It got so bad that civil servants asked ministers to put their orders in writing after voicing concerns about certain spending decisions.

Quite shameful really

Those two actions contradict each other though. The 'scorched earth' policy suggests they knew they couldn't win while the promises in marginal constituencies suggests they'd do anything to win. Which is it?

School dinners were delicious under Thatcher :lol: You were probably still in nappies I bet :icon_lol:

Well unlike your headline...... The story is actually about them not rolling out a trial project into a bigger trial project :lol:

It's about them cancelling the project basically. I literally couldn't think of a better use of public money.

School dinners were delicious under Thatcher :lol: You were probably still in nappies I bet :icon_lol:

No. They basically stopped doing them at my school in the 1980s.

Does he not fit into this bit then?

Children whose parents are on income support or jobseekers' allowance will continue to be eligible for the free meals.

....therefore ending free school diners that Labour had provided/envisioned.

Quite shameful really

Those two actions contradict each other though. The 'scorched earth' policy suggests they knew they couldn't win while the promises in marginal constituencies suggests they'd do anything to win. Which is it?

You'll have to ask Mandelson

Guest alex

Wummery at its best Gentlemen, well done :lol:

Children whose parents are on income support or jobseekers' allowance will continue to be eligible for the free meals.

You really fucking tuck yourself in at times like. Thick as pigs' shit :icon_lol:

Read my post again.....

"Without IS or JSA"

Well unlike your headline...... The story is actually about them not rolling out a trial project into a bigger trial project :rolleyes:

It's about them cancelling the project basically. I literally couldn't think of a better use of public money.

Theres no money left Dont you get it :lol: Liam byrne did :razz:

School dinners were delicious under Thatcher :rolleyes: You were probably still in nappies I bet :icon_lol:

No. They basically stopped doing them at my school in the 1980s.

That must have been your local labour run education authority. :lol:

You really fucking tuck yourself in at times like. Thick as pigs' shit :icon_lol:

Dont see how, care to explain?

Well unlike your headline...... The story is actually about them not rolling out a trial project into a bigger trial project :rolleyes:

Theres no money left Dont you get it :lol: Liam byrne did :razz:

What, no money at all? So we have to get rid of the Police force, NHS, Schools, the Army etc. This shows Conservative priorites for what they are.

:lol:

Jolly well done CT. I dont see any way HF can defeat your argument there

Dont see how, care to explain?

Can you read?

Read my post again.....

"Without IS or JSA"

So he must be over £16,400 which while not great, is certainly not low by a lot of peoples standards, particularly when adding on child benefits, tax credits etc.

Does he actually live in one of the three trials areas either?