Plex

Happy Face

I don't really get Plex.

If I'm watching movies or tv on the computer I'm happy enough just opening up the containing folder and choosing the file. Music it's Spotify.

Sell it to me HF, why should I resume using Plex?

I use Plex but on my popcorn hour. Its excellent like. I have photo;s, films, tv shows etc on a drive near my PC. I the popcorn is on my network so I can watch anything on it via the plex app on the TV but also, using the app on any Ipad etc. It works when Im away from home so long as they're all switched on and the kids can watch films on the ipad anywhere etc.

Dont use it for music as I use spotify. Plex also downloads all of the artwork and ratings etc for each thing and displays it in a funky menu.

You can run it as a server, so that technically you could stream from your 'server' through plex, to any device that had an internet connection while you were outside of your home. I think it's just more convenient. I have an app on my phone that acts as a remote control for the computer file management system as well, which more or less makes it as convenient as watching standard TV.

I think it's mostly the server aspect though.

Spotify is great for trying new music but shite for building your own music library up to tens of thousands of tracks.

With Plex I can access all my music from my home server on my phone without using storage. I can access iTunes smart playlists and podcasts so no need for a podcast app that uses up phone space. And as mentioned, with chromecast I can throw films and TV shows onto my tv from my PC using my phone/tablet.

The ONLY problem is I can't shuffle iTunes playlists, so I want to set up some plex playlists that I can shuffle. No chance that I'm doing it a song at a time so i want to use filters. For some reason I'm not offered filters like year, date added, artist, length etc just genre and collection. I've seen screenshots of other people having other filters but cant work out how to get them.

I use Plex for wireless viewing and listening around the house. It runs from my NAS boxes as a proper server with Android clients.

However this thread and a client update prompted me to give it a go remotely which I knew it could do but hadn't deliberately setup. It works fine which is a bit worrying as it means it automatically configured my router/firewall which I don't like.

I'll have to check it out when I get home.

• 1 month later...

Noticed on the streaming site I use for football that they've released a plex plug-in so I whacked it in and can now watch drivel like tonight's "entertainment" on all my Android devices including over 4g.

• 1 year later...

I've only ever used it with stuff I'd downloaded to my computer. Not sure how it would work with streaming.

Aye, I've heard HF talk about it as a media server.

This is the video the beast man has put up of it in action

And is tweeting stuff like "it's a HD iptv platform 100000 times better than kodi".

I'll tell you something. Anyone who buys one of these pre made boxes is a mug cos they take half an hour to set up yourself. And anyone that sells them is advertising the fact that these workarounds exist and thereby hastening their demise.

The lad who I bought my android box from originally was trying to get me to get some sort of plex thing a while back. There was a subsription with it which was about £50. I saw absolutely no reason to pay anything else when I get everything I want from Kodi for free. And given I'll be less interested in the premier league next season I can't see that changing. I certainly wouldn't be buying anything from anyone who sounds like that tool who makes the beast build anyway.

Premier League Pass is losing rights to games as of the end of this season, so that might present problems for Kodi.

Thankfully they'll have been resolved by the time we need to worry about them again.