New TV deal

The Fish

The only positive I can see from this is getting in the champions league will no longer be a golden goose, so the league won't have four teams dominating anymore.

If you discount the added revenue (why you would do that I don't know) it would also require the assumption the like of Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea have no interest in winning the CL. Which is obviously not the case. Other than that though....

you have to wonder whether we've hit the top. sky paid 83% more than they did in the previous auction. i think they overpaid. if anything, i'd say the product is less attractive - the quality of premier league football is worse than it was 10 years ago, when the rights went for under a billion - they just went for over £5bn. most teams play negative football with two holding players in midfield and one forward - it's not like the keane/vieria days of 4-4-2.

no doubt that the players and agents are the big winners here. talk of this filtering down tot he fans in the form of cheaper tickets is wishful thinking.

Edited by Dr Gloom

you have to wonder whether we've hit the top. sky paid 83% more than they did in the previous auction. are they really that valuable? if anything, i'd say the product is less attractive - the quality of premier league football is worse than it was 10 years ago, when the rights went for under a billion - they just went for over £5bn. most teams play negative football with two holding players in midfield and one forward - it's not like the keane/vieria days of 4-4-2.

no doubt that the players and agents are the big winners here. talk of this filtering down tot he fans in the form of cheaper tickets is wishful thinking.

I think the bubble will burst soon tbh, and maybe once it does we can get something back of the sport we all grew up with. The longer we have an impenetrable top 4, the more likely it is that people will simply lose interest. Looking at it this season, for all the heroics of Southampton, they aren't gonna get a CL space, I mean get real. Arsenal will get in there somehow, Man Utd look like they'll get it and we'll have the same top 4 that we normally have, once again.

Edited by Rayvin