Windows 10

Christmas Tree

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From 8. I haven't watched any videos about it or anything so have no idea what any of the changes are. One thing I fine immediately off is that windows explorer windows don't seem to appear along the task bar at the bottom. It has programmes there but not Explorer windows which is fucking daft if you're going backwards and forwards opening files.

I'll have a look into it though cos I've not really investigated it at all.

I'll get back to you on what it's like. I didn't mind 8 but I downloaded a third party start button/menu and never used any of the Windows 8 apps, so to all intents and purposes I was just using it as if it was 7.

Yeah. That was my issue with 8. I couldn't stand the the 'app' layout bullshit and just used the desktop. It got so frustrating that I ended up back on 7 to avoid it all.

If 10 is the same I'll stick to 7 I think. Booooo change. In my day.. and so forth.

I upgraded from Windows 7 last weekend and I think it's lush. Just turn off all the default security, reporting back to microsoft and bandwidth sharing settings. They shouldn't be on as default and you should be asked if you want to activate them, but it's no biggy because the info is out there of what you need to undo.

Think the only issue I've seen reported is "IF" you have more than 500 programs some of them don't appear in "all apps". Which sort of a loon has more than 500 programs though?

I upgraded from Windows 7 last weekend and I think it's lush. Just turn off all the default security, reporting back to microsoft and bandwidth sharing settings. They shouldn't be on as default and you should be asked if you want to activate them, but it's no biggy because the info is out there of what you need to undo.

Think the only issue I've seen reported is "IF" you have more than 500 programs some of them don't appear in "all apps". Which sort of a loon has more than 500 programs though?

Parky. A web browser and 499 firewalls.

So the misbehaving on the task bar was because I still had my Windows 8 third party start menu installed. I'm just sorting out a proper boot up installation on a USB stick and am gonna do a clean install.

I need to look into how to disable this snooping shit.

So the misbehaving on the task bar was because I still had my Windows 8 third party start menu installed. I'm just sorting out a proper boot up installation on a USB stick and am gonna do a clean install.

I need to look into how to disable this snooping shit.

This covers it all off...

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

Yeah just turn it all off. :lol:

Yeah :lol:

The idea is that they want people to have a Microsoft account that shares user information across their PC, tablet and phone... like Apple have done for a decade or so and people absolutely love for it. And they want to tailor ad's and results to individuals like Google and Facebook and that have for years.

You turn all that off and they don't...any more than those other companies do.

The fact that the NSA are recording every keystroke we all do regardless is neither here nor there when it comes to choosing Windows 10 or not.

Christ, how long is that article and how many changes to you need to make to protect your privacy?!

Cheers for the link, I'll go through it all later. Is there anything you've left on and have found useful or is it all off?

I haven't gone through it all myself yet, I've only disabled the wi-fi sharing so far. I intend to knock it all off at some point though.

It's just a prettier Start menu, with better search facilities and simplified settings to me.

How is it performing on your machines? Big reason I haven't decided to do it yet is I don't want my laptop to turn all sluggish on me.

I started out installing a load of apps from the microsoft store thinking I may as well, but then things started to get a bit sluggish. Realised I was being a daft, why have a limited tablet version of twitter or facebook or plex on your PC when you have full versions via chrome anyway. So I've removed almost every "app" I can and returned to doing everything via chrome and chrome extensions so it's bombing along nicely again.